Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 11:00 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,059,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
I don't want to decorate anymore, but my husband still likes to. Ditto for our adult kids. I told them, "Bah, humbug!"
My husband is the same way. He wants all the decorations up.....loves it. I can do without. He goes to Home Depot for the .99 cent poinsettias. I have them everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,361,673 times
For the past few years I've only put up a 12 inch tabletop decoration (a white plastic tree form which has lights that turns red, blue, and green). I like it and it's enough for me.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:27 PM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
Generally do quite a bit of decorating - tree, decorations, lights...but this year, the house is for sale, so keeping it minimal. Put a wreath on the door this morning..might do a garland and tasteful ornaments on the mantel to enhance the look of it, but that's it for this year. Now next year, when God willing, I am moved and settled in a new house, I intend to go all out!

Old 11-23-2018, 02:32 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Yes, I love the holidays. I always decorate.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:04 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I have had mixed feelings about this. I had a friend who lived alone and never put up a Christmas tree and I used wonder why she didn't, but now I'm getting to the point of not wanting to set up a tree, either. After my daughter finished high school, I moved and started living alone for the first time in my life, but my daughter was in college and came home for Christmas, so I put up a tree each year and decorated with her.

The first year after she graduated college, I thought about skipping the tree, but she came home on Christmas Eve and when she came in the house, she said, "Oh it looks so good and homey with all the lights out front and the wreath and the tree..." so I was glad I did.

Then she went to live in China for a year and a half. That year she was in Asia I didn't bother to put up a tree, but when she came home she lived with me for a couple of months so that next year I did put up a tree again.

Last year I was going to skip the tree because now my daughter just comes home on Christmas Eve and we leave together for my mom's on Christmas Day so a little table top job seems attractive, but when I mentioned skipping the tree last year because I didn't feel like decorating, my friend said wistfully that she hasn't decorated a tree in years because she used to do it with her grandchildren but they got older and hang with their friends now...so I got a smallish, maybe five-foot tall tree, got all the decorations down from my attic, bought wine and snacks and had her over. It was great. I put on the lights, and she did 99% of the rest of the decorating. I just had to fix the things that she bunched together near the end of the second bottle of wine. She asked me last week if I was going to put up a tree for her to decorate again. I think I will. It's so easy this way!

Old 11-23-2018, 03:20 PM

586 posts, read 314,625 times
We gave all our live Christmas tree gear to our daughter and son-in-law when our granddaughter was born. Their turn now. We have a 3' artificial table top tree.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:52 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
More decorations than ever, mostly hand made by me because I now have time.

However, I did downsize this year and have been living out of suitcases, so I'm decorating my brother's place to make up for it.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:23 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
I haven't had a tree since the late 90s. I put out some decorations and put lights around a bit, but that's pretty much it.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I haven't had a tree since the late 90s. I put out some decorations and put lights around a bit, but that's pretty much it.
That's what my late friend did. Her apartment was pretty at Christmas. She just didn't have a tree. Always lots of candles, some lights, and a few Christmassy items on display.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:21 PM

837 posts, read 1,711,229 times
For the last few years, I've kind of alternated. One year I won't be in the mood to decorate, but the next year I will really want to. I bought my car 10 years ago, partly because I could easily fit a live tree in it. But after a couple of years of live trees, they seemed too difficult/messy to deal with by myself. Now I have two table top artificial trees and plenty of ornaments. I have lights to go around the windows and pretty balls and ribbons to put in large vases.

At present, I have autumn leaf window clings and two vases of autumn leaves and a colorful metal sculpture turkey to mark November. In December, I will put up snow flake window clings, but I'm not sure I will bother with the Xmas trees and ornaments. I decorated last year. Maybe I'll want to next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement