Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2019, 09:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I tried eHarmony. Back then it was pretty expensive to join. It was over $200. I filled the forms out, posted a picture, etc.

Not one connection.

Boy, was that a slap in the face (to me). Not one connection??

That old man who advertises for the site....... oh so positive we will all have such good luck.
Sure. Money wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I watch the shows on TV that show stories about people who disappear and are found dead in some remote place.

I wonder how many of the women featured in the program were customers of a dating site.

Not for me.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I hate to say this, but the women of a certain age may be attractive, but the men are not!

That is my experience.

I think that sword can cut both ways, with the differentiator being the specific individuals rather than their gender.

Scammers can come in both genders as well. Widows or widowers with no assets who are looking for an easy windfall. Widowers or widows who cannot take care of themselves be it cooking, cleaning, home repairs, driving, the whole gamut.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Your assumptions are erroneous. First, we are not a generation that "didn't use social networking and such...".

I've been using computers extensively for 30 years since 1989, and for tons of various uses, both personal and work.

And we're talking about online dating for older people and seniors, not your son and daughter in law who met online in their late twenties.
The poster said we are not a generation that grew up with social media, and that is the plain truth. Only people who are in their 30s or younger grew up with social media and cameras on smartphones.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:38 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post

Because I've never used a dating site but I'm curious....

When someone has things in their profile you aren't interested in, (hobbies etc.) do you pass them by automatically or send a message and try to get to know them better?

Well, I like classic sports cars. But I only indulge in this hobby a few days each year, about the same as my wife indulges in her hobby of Craft Shows. I spend far more time mowing the grass, shoveling the driveway, fixing things that broke, and reading City Data. But none of them really qualify as Hobbies.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:00 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
I've been using a dating site for the past few months, one of the largest. I get about 12 views/flirts/messages per day, and I'm not what I would consider handsome. I do get a lot of mileage with the picture that I used that was taken professionally. Many compliments on that.

I originally filled out my profile saying, "I'd rather not say" concerning my income, and that I was an atheist. Initially I got about 5 or 6 views/flirts/ messages per day. When I changed my profile to income: 150,000+, (the highest income on the list), and I changed my religion to: "Other". I got 83 views/flirts/messages ON THE SAME DAY. I think that gives you an idea what others are looking for.

Most of the out of state views/etc, I got were clearly scammers. Most people apparently don't know how to read for comprehension, given the number of women who were taller than me, outside of the area I was focusing on, or who are religious that contacted me, when I clearly said I was looking for non-religious women.

I've had some great conversations, and have had some wacko ones. Some people lose sight of the fact dating is supposed to be fun, and instead want to argue with you about elements of your profile.

I've had two truly wonderful dates with the same woman, who abruptly dropped me when I asked to see her more than 4 times a month. I've been stood up, which I didn't mind so much as having to drive 50 min. each way. She had my phone number, she could have sent me a text, but nothing. Very rude.

I had a scammer ask me for $2,000 dollars after texting back and forth for less than 3 weeks. Not all scammers use fake pictures. Hers were real, but if anything she said was real, I doubt it, including where she said she lived. A background check service can be a good resource to have if you are going to do on-line dating.

All in all, it's been an entertaining and fun experience. I've met some nice women. Just be careful, be suspicious, be wary, don't give anyone money, and proceed slowly, and you should be OK.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:51 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Many years ago I tried eHarmony. Back then it was pretty expensive to join. It was over $200. I filled the forms out, posted a picture, etc.

Not one connection.

Boy, was that a slap in the face (to me). Not one connection??

That old man who advertises for the site....... oh so positive we will all have such good luck.
Sure. Money wasted.
I've told this story on CD somewhere before, but I did the same. It was before they had the TV commercials.

Signed up for six months. They didn't send me anyone.

Just before the six months was up, they asked me to pay for another six months. I said no thanks. They asked why. I said because you never sent me anybody. Why would I?

They said they would review my profile. They came back and said that their data shows that most men want to be so many inches taller than a woman. I am six feet tall, so only 3% of men would want to date me.

Then they said, "Do you want to change your profile?"

LIE and say I am shorter than I am and just surprise somebody when we meet? LOL. Great idea, there Eharmony. No, thanks.

So then with a week left on my subscription, they send me this guy who lives in Hoboken. He says he is Italian and his family has a castle in Italy, but if I met him, I would probably think he was Swiss more than Italian. I'm picturing a guy in lederhosen and a hat with a feather.

I just let the account lapse.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I've had two truly wonderful dates with the same woman, who abruptly dropped me when I asked to see her more than 4 times a month.

I don't understand this but then I've never used OLD.

4 times a month or more seems like a lot to me, almost like trying to take over someone's life. What am I missing?

Old 11-22-2019, 10:30 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't understand this but then I've never used OLD.

4 times a month or more seems like a lot to me, almost like trying to take over someone's life. What am I missing?
A lot.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:14 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Signed up for six months. They didn't send me anyone.
It's been awhile, but every so often, eHarmony has a free weekend signup thing. Twice I tired it and never received a match. I'm thinking that not too many seniors use eHarmony, so there is nobody with which to match. Either that or I'm really the odd one who doesn't match with anyone on the planet.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement