Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 03:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering if sitting on a plane is difficult for you or if you haven't noticed any difference in your travels with age.

I don't like flying for more than five or six hours, which is a problem because I want to go to Europe and I would love to go back to Asia, but I am not going to sit for that long.

The European trip might work if I take a red-eye and can sleep all night (not sure if this is possible).

What about you?
If you book a later departure, it is very much possible to fly at night and sleep for most of the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Can you say more about what you enjoyed about a cruise ship over the ocean? For some reason (dirty carpets, claustrophobia) cruise ships sound horrible to me.
Claustrophobia is unique to YOU and not to the experience of cruising. What dirty carpets? Huh?

I have a transatlantic cruise booked from NYC to Greenland and that part of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 03:08 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I can stay still for about 2 hours then I have to get up and walk some.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:34 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Age is only partially involved. Years ago, in my 30s, I was told to after back surgery to get up every 45 minutes. Plane travel makes that difficult. I take the train if I can or drive rather than fly...but there are a dozen reasons why I avoid air travel besides that.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have no problems with the two hour flights which I take normally, such as Las Vegas, L.A. or the Bay Area from Seattle. When I start to get uncomfortable and try my best to sleep is the 6 hour flight to Hawaii, and back. It’s always worth it in the end, but I’m miserable about half way.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:55 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It is maddening when someone conflates the Carnival experience with Seabourn or Silverseas or Crystal.

<snip>

I don't know of any more luxurious way to travel but you have to be prepared to pay for it. If you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys.
And I take UnCruise, with ships carrying under 100 passengers. No butler, no chandeliers, just up close and personal with nature and no add-on charges for every little thing. Alcohol and all expeditions included although I once paid $120 for snorkeling in waters off Alaska because they provided a substantial wet suit (plus gloves, helmet, etc.- I looked like Jacques Cousteau). VERY unpretentious. Pricey but worth it- I'm taking my 5th trip with them in November between Kona and Molokai.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
well, we do not sit on planes since we discovered MegaBus (and others like it).
double-decker, two bathrooms, get up to walk around and talk to people.
(hint: ask about their tattoos.)

regarding Alaska and Hawaii and whatever else...wife takes pills and sleeps.
personally, i like to look out the window or read. i sit for ~70 minutes.
have a fitness tracker with an annoying alert. she turns hers off.
i unbuckle then stand up and turn around and sit down.
"and that's what it's all about".

Old 07-28-2019, 04:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
There is a difference between how long I CAN sit on a plane and how long I WANT to. It's 11 hours from here to London (transpolar), plus all the extra time to get to the airport, get through TSA, blah blah blah. I don't like it, but I can. Domestic flights of 5-6 hours from my upper left corner of the US to anywhere aren't a problem.

My problem with traveling overseas is that I can't sleep on a plane (even in relatively comfy business class) and I don't deal with jetlag well, so I need a few days of recovery on the other end before I feel well, hence it doesn't make sense for me to travel for less than 10-14 days, which adds up to an expensive trip.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-28-2019, 04:56 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You need to take one then. I don't know what ships you heard about but on our recent transatlantic cruise on Princess everything was spotless. They clean your room twice a day, their hallway carpets are a lot cleaner than mine at home because they are constantly vacuuming them every single day, and there's really no way to track in dirt because your on a ship with no soil anywhere to be found. Only an interior cabin might be claustrophobic, our balcony cabin (only slightly more than a view cabin) was as large as many hotel rooms I've stayed in, and we had a balcony with chairs to sit out and enjoy the breeze and relax while watching the sunset, and waking up to the beautiful views of your next port of call as you pull into the harbor. You can dine in the more formal dining rooms, at a buffet, at several specialty restaurants, or casual walk-away food places (think pizza, burgers or tacos) that you can eat on deck at a table by the pool, or get room service at no extra charge. You're entertained every night with different shows ranging from cabaret style singers to song and dance extravaganzas, acrobats, magicians, and even a passenger talent shows. They show movies under the stars at night on deck. I can't vouch for Carnival or other similar low-price lines, but we found nothing "horrible" at all on our cruise. Can't wait to go again.
Interesting. Sounds like you had a great experience.

I am not one who likes the kind of entertainment you mentioned - maybe if it was some kind of workshop cruise with a topic of interest I might like it. I was just wondering how best to get to Europe without sitting for 10 hours or whatever it is!

Old 07-28-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
well, we do not sit on planes since we discovered MegaBus (and others like it).
double-decker, two bathrooms, get up to walk around and talk to people.
(hint: ask about their tattoos.)

regarding Alaska and Hawaii and whatever else...wife takes pills and sleeps.
personally, i like to look out the window or read. i sit for ~70 minutes.
have a fitness tracker with an annoying alert. she turns hers off.
i unbuckle then stand up and turn around and sit down.
"and that's what it's all about".
Megabus is a plane?

Old 07-28-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And I take UnCruise, with ships carrying under 100 passengers. No butler, no chandeliers, just up close and personal with nature and no add-on charges for every little thing. Alcohol and all expeditions included although I once paid $120 for snorkeling in waters off Alaska because they provided a substantial wet suit (plus gloves, helmet, etc.- I looked like Jacques Cousteau). VERY unpretentious. Pricey but worth it- I'm taking my 5th trip with them in November between Kona and Molokai.
Never heard of this, but it sounds fascinating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement