Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 11:34 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Pharmacy day today. Greg the owner was there, the vax was $8. He was expecting it to be $50-$100 due to my insurance but I'm out if the donut hole. So I did it.

My arm is sore. My upper gums and the roof of my mouth started tingling before I even got to my car. As I started driving, my tongue and throat started tingling. I really hope it goes away and doesn't turn into an allergic reaction.

He wants me back in 2 months. I'll get the 2nd in December as long as I'm ok from this one.
I sent my GP a message to tell her I had the vaccine; also told her about the side effects. She told me not to get the 2nd shot because she's afraid I'll have anaphylactic reaction; she said at this point the vaccine could possibly kill me. I'm going to think about it for the next few months then make a decision.

My headache finally went away today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 01:01 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,054,839 times
I asked the pharmacist last week, when did he think the waiting list would go down, and he said Never. They get about 20 doses a month and that's it. I wonder why the manufacturers don't make more? I'm still not on a waiting list, procrastination....

Old 09-24-2019, 01:05 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I asked the pharmacist last week, when did he think the waiting list would go down, and he said Never. They get about 20 doses a month and that's it. I wonder why the manufacturers don't make more? I'm still not on a waiting list, procrastination....
You'd think they would be shipping more due to the demand. At some point people will just say forget it because it's too hard to get the 1st dose, they'll stress over if they cam even find the 2nd dose when they need it.

Best suggestion I have is to try smaller, family run pharmacies because you'll have a better chance at getting one like I did with the smaller pharmacy I used.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:01 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,054,839 times
The people who are due for the 2nd dose go to the head of the line, from what I understand. You have to get it in that window of time after the 1st one, or start over.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:29 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
The people who are due for the 2nd dose go to the head of the line, from what I understand. You have to get it in that window of time after the 1st one, or start over.
No, even if the second dose is late you do not repeat the first one.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...g-vaccine.html

"If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose of Shingrix, you should administer the second dose as soon as possible. However, you do not need to restart the vaccine series.

If the second dose is given less than 4 weeks after the first dose, the second dose should be considered invalid. A valid second dose should be administered 2 months after the invalid dose (minimum acceptable interval is 4 weeks following invalid dose)."

Old 09-26-2019, 07:03 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
I just had the second dose. As I mentioned in a previous post I did not have any type of reaction with the first dose except for a sore arm.
This dose I did get what I would call a minor reaction. Not only the sore arm but felt like I had a fever and chills. When I slept last night although the room was warm I was bundled up with sheet and comforter.
I still have been going to work with no problem.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:41 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Years ago when I had a shingles shot I developed a huge sore on my face which was very painful and lasted more than a week. I suspect it was the result of the shot since it started only a day two after I had it.

You folks are confusing me. I'll ask here since my doctor was less than informative. If I had a shingles shot maybe ten or so years ago, is that the first shot, or is the new vaccine a two shot series? Since the supply is so limited I haven't been able to find it so the question may be moot.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2019, 09:11 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Years ago when I had a shingles shot I developed a huge sore on my face which was very painful and lasted more than a week. I suspect it was the result of the shot since it started only a day two after I had it.

You folks are confusing me. I'll ask here since my doctor was less than informative. If I had a shingles shot maybe ten or so years ago, is that the first shot, or is the new vaccine a two shot series? Since the supply is so limited I haven't been able to find it so the question may be moot.

Thanks!
The new vaccine is different. It is a two shot series.

Did you see your doctor about the sore? It is difficult for me to attribute it to the vaccine.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:28 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I sent my GP a message to tell her I had the vaccine; also told her about the side effects. She told me not to get the 2nd shot because she's afraid I'll have anaphylactic reaction; she said at this point the vaccine could possibly kill me. I'm going to think about it for the next few months then make a decision.

My headache finally went away today.
Sorry about this experience and perhaps the advice. I suggest you get a second opinion as one shot will not be sufficient. Also, it is perhaps best to get the second shot, should you get one, in a hospital setting.

When I received a shot (in a pharmacy located in a major hospital), I was advised to stay in the general area for 20 minutes after the shot. The pharmacist advised me specific symptoms to look for during this period - and be back if I noticed anything remotely resembling them. He said that they are prepared to address an adverse reaction, should one occur. Here is some information from CDC. I am sure you can get further details by googling it.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

All the best!

Old 09-26-2019, 09:31 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Quote:
This might be true of the specific pharmacy. While there was shortage earlier, there no longer seems to be. Of course, smaller pharmacies might order less or receive shorter allocation. In my visit to the University hospital pharmacy - I got my first shot in July and second in September without any reference to shortage. I asked whether there was any and the pharmacist said there was no shortage at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement