Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 04:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised at Oregon's rank.

I loved going into Portland, the shops were actually nice and the streets clean and the people friendly. Now it's aggressive vagrants, bums who'd rather rip you off of $5 instead of working for it.

The governor even wants to give free healthcare to illegals.... My family left it in 1999 and damned glad we did.

Retirement for me may be Nevada, Idaho or Washington....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
Why did you not retire to RI? I agree. It’s a beautiful state.
I tried. I really, really tried. But the man I was married to at the time only wanted to move to the Boston area. So that's where we ended up. The rest is history--he had a total breakdown from having been in Viet Nam, then he ran off and we ended up divorced. I wanted to live in or around Bristol, RI.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Lists like this are simply clickbait.

That said, I agree with what they said about New Mexico. Not only is the state poor, their lack of senior services was glaring. Very pretty there, but scary.

We have our housing covered here in California and know how to live here cheaply....so we’re good.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:10 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wanted to live in or around Bristol, RI.

I am a lifelong Bristolian which came about when my Italian grandparents emigrated here to join other family members already here that had established a commercial fishing business. My father who when stationed in Newport while in the Navy and was originally from the eastern shore of MD, not only did he meet and fall in love with and marry my mother while stationed here, he fell in love with her town and this was where he wanted to live the rest of his life which he did for nearly 60 years until he passed in 2010.

So needless to say my Bristol roots run deep, and it would be exceptionally difficult for me to relocate to another state let alone another town in my state or nearby MA. It is not cheap to live here, but certainly the COL is much less than in and around Boston. But most who have lived for any length of time in any high COL area we already know what the deal is so if we want to stay put in retirement we have to plan accordingly.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:44 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I really wonder...well, not really....how many outsiders go to Iowa to retire?
I hear Iowa is quite popular in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The problem, of course, is some people did not adequately prepare for the future. That's their choice to make, of course.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
So needless to say my Bristol roots run deep, and it would be exceptionally difficult for me to relocate to another state let alone another town in my state or nearby MA. It is not cheap to live here, but certainly the COL is much less than in and around Boston. But most who have lived for any length of time in any high COL area we already know what the deal is so if we want to stay put in retirement we have to plan accordingly.

The math isn't awful by Northeast Corridor standards. Single family homes are about $250 per square foot. The mill rate is $13.72 per thousand according to Google. You're right on the Newport/Providence bus route with frequent service so your world doesn't end without a car. Rhode Island Hospital is less than 30 minutes in an ambulance with siren going if you need the top medical facility. Rhode Island exempts the first $15K of Social Security income and the first $15K of other income (pension/401(k)/interest income, etc) for seniors who are lower income so you're not paying much income tax.

We've run through this before in the state forums. I'm 15 miles east of you. My Massachusetts math is similar based on my projected retiree income sources, home valuation, and mill rate. My all-in home ownership costs excluding the cable bill are about $6K. I budget for $10K assuming some home improvements. Even if I totally run out of money other than the equity in my paid-for house, I'll be just fine on a Social Security check.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:14 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't find these to be at all helpful or interesting..
In a nutshell, I agree.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The problem, of course, is some people did not adequately prepare for the future. That's their choice to make, of course.

The problem in Maine is the demographics of 94.6% white-alone where nobody wants to be a CNA. I'm 2 hours from the I-95 bridge over the Piscatiqua to Kittery. Here, a CNA through an agency a mile from my house is $22.00 and the clock starts when they walk in your door. Somebody needs to pick the lettuce and somebody needs to empty bedpans.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm trying to figure it all out. I love these lists but take them with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement