Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:37 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It’s none of your business whether they are financially ready for her to retire. That’s between the two of them. I’d be furious if my adult kids were sticking their noses in my business and treating me like a child at age 62.
Easy to say but many times parents who make bad financial decisions expect their kids to pitch in- if not with money, with work around the house, mowing the lawn, etc.- because they don't have the funds to pay someone to do it. I can understand the OP's concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Easy to say but many times parents who make bad financial decisions expect their kids to pitch in- if not with money, with work around the house, mowing the lawn, etc.- because they don't have the funds to pay someone to do it. I can understand the OP's concern.
Hell, they expect that even if they have the funds!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:05 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
People with health issues can become impatient, but most other people can not appreciate that and are thoughtless.
In business, if you show up no one considers these things.
I was very fortunate that though I was laid off in a group of 500 I was recalled for about 6 months and then laid off again when the contract for the product was completed.
They kept me on salary a year till my retirement kicked in and the transition was smooth as silk my body had had enough and I just could not work anymore.
I did not burn any bridges however it was flattering that old bosses wanted me back, which I was able to turn down due to retirement.
I find it best not to be argumentative in nature especially on the job and particularly close to retirement no matter how bad I felt. I figure it this way,
I am retiring, I m not going to be there for the ship to sink I only have to hold out till my time comes and let the chips fall where they may.
I have left several companies that folded not long after I left, not relevant to me at all except company policies that I did not agree with, which would have caused the demise whether I was there or not.

Last edited by arleigh; 10-02-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 09:30 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times
OP -- there may be a silver lining here -- unemployment insurance

It sounds like she was fired during an emotional outburst, so it might be viewed as "with cause." However, she should certainly file for unemployment. She can collect it even while receiving social security. Some states pay almost a year of benefits, not sure about Tennessee.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have posted several times about my mother retiring. Mom turns 62 on the 19th. Dad will continue to work, but mom has several health issues and has been wanting to retire for a year or two now. They have low six figures in investment accounts, a bit of home equity, and several small pensions (couple hundred here and there) from the various places they've worked. My guess is their total net worth is between $150,000 - $200,000.

The house and one car are not paid for. He makes around $60,000 a year in a physical job and her SS check at 62 is going to be around $1,000/month. She had been planning on leaving the 17th of this month. Frankly, they're not financially ready for her to retire and don't seem to have planned it carefully, but mom is getting out of there come hell or high water.

She's been complaining about work and her colleagues a lot for the better part of a year now. She got a new manager she doesn't like. They're understaffed. No one else is carrying the mail. Standard office politics. Mom is generally out of the office at least part of the day one day a week for doctor's appointments, sometimes two, and has been calling in sick a lot over the last few months. Where I'm at, being out of the office that much would get you in trouble, and probably fired.

She was telling me on Friday about how bad it was. I told that she had something like thirteen working days left and to just suck it up.

What does mom actually do? She went off on her manager and her manager's manager yesterday about some coworkers talking excessively and that "if they can't keep the others quiet so she can concentrate, she'll just go home." Well, they fired her! She has this smug attitude about it and seems relieved that she's out of there.

Dad works evenings and I've only sent him a text, but he seemed furious with her. I have no idea what, if anything, she's left on the table by getting fired.

Do you know anyone who left on bad terms like this?

Once you are retired it's all over but your dreams about work. Here is a more important question. Has your mother transitioned over to your father's health insurance?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:11 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
As far as that goes, there are also adult kids who make bad financial decisions and expect their parents to pitch in with money, housing, child care, etc. I'd say that's more the case than vice versa.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:14 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Good grief. Relax will ya
Good grief. I didn't say anything that I need to "relax" for.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:34 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

"Do you know anyone who left on bad terms like this?"

I can't comment specifically on your mom's plight, but, I do understand the emotional beatdowns that some are experiencing on the job, and, how that begins to form a kind of severe mental fatigue that often ends up in a meltdown of emotional explosion. I've witnessed a few of these confrontational episodes that ended with near violence--usually resulting in a firing or quitting. My last year of working was the most difficult, near rages over co workers stupidity, confrontations with my boss, I was 62, so, I get it that work can be a big source of stress. I hope your mom can find some solace in her decision..

Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 PM

271 posts, read 248,246 times
I think it's nice that you're keeping an eye out for your parents in case they need you. Just watch out for them and make sure that they are doing ok.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:03 PM

45,412 posts, read 60,608,674 times
I thought I'd retired on good terms. I let my Principal know well before I was contractually required to so he could start looking for a replacement without being rushed or maybe even recruit someone. I did my outgoing paperwork well before my end date.

I later learned through the grapevine that the Principal felt that I'd abandoned him and the school system still had my teaching certificate suspended (which they do to almost everyone who retires or resigns no matter the circumstances. It keeps people from going to a different school system).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement