Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
LOL COBRA for my last job was $750/month for just myself, just health insurance. Dental and vision separate.
I know. That's how we lost most of our savings when my dh was laid off. Cobra for a family of four was $1300/mo just for medical, no dental and vision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have posted several times about my mother retiring. Mom turns 62 on the 19th. Dad will continue to work, but mom has several health issues and has been wanting to retire for a year or two now. They have low six figures in investment accounts, a bit of home equity, and several small pensions (couple hundred here and there) from the various places they've worked. My guess is their total net worth is between $150,000 - $200,000.

The house and one car are not paid for. He makes around $60,000 a year in a physical job and her SS check at 62 is going to be around $1,000/month. She had been planning on leaving the 17th of this month. Frankly, they're not financially ready for her to retire and don't seem to have planned it carefully, but mom is getting out of there come hell or high water.

She's been complaining about work and her colleagues a lot for the better part of a year now. She got a new manager she doesn't like. They're understaffed. No one else is carrying the mail. Standard office politics. Mom is generally out of the office at least part of the day one day a week for doctor's appointments, sometimes two, and has been calling in sick a lot over the last few months. Where I'm at, being out of the office that much would get you in trouble, and probably fired.

She was telling me on Friday about how bad it was. I told that she had something like thirteen working days left and to just suck it up.

What does mom actually do? She went off on her manager and her manager's manager yesterday about some coworkers talking excessively and that "if they can't keep the others quiet so she can concentrate, she'll just go home." Well, they fired her! She has this smug attitude about it and seems relieved that she's out of there.

Dad works evenings and I've only sent him a text, but he seemed furious with her. I have no idea what, if anything, she's left on the table by getting fired.

Do you know anyone who left on bad terms like this?
Yes. Me. What your parents want or expect for themselves is none of your business. Just like it was none of their business what you wanted to do with your life.

Let your parents live their own lives. Whether or not it means they mess them up or not, per your definitions - just like you wanted to be treated as their kid.

It's their lives to mess up or not.

And if they expect you to take care of them or not - that's a separate issue you can deal with when necessary.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:28 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
I had a large delivery from Amazon sent over there instead of my condo where anyone could see it. I picked it up yesterday.

The trash was still at the road. Mail wasn't picked up. Mail was piled up on the kitchen counter and who knows how long it had been since it has been opened/read. The 20 year old cat didn't have any wet food and she was mad. Dad must have started some towels before he went to work and mom hadn't put them in the dryer.

I cleaned the bedroom while they were on vacation and she has no hoarded it up that the closest and window are inaccessible ago. It's extremely frustrating.
Sounds similar to my Grandmother but she's 82...Your Mother is too young to be acting up like this

Old 10-05-2019, 10:34 AM

1,142 posts, read 579,213 times
i'd put the condo up for sale and move. This will only get worse. Blessings to you

Old 10-05-2019, 03:08 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
I had a large delivery from Amazon sent over there instead of my condo where anyone could see it. I picked it up yesterday.

The trash was still at the road. Mail wasn't picked up. Mail was piled up on the kitchen counter and who knows how long it had been since it has been opened/read. The 20 year old cat didn't have any wet food and she was mad. Dad must have started some towels before he went to work and mom hadn't put them in the dryer.

I cleaned the bedroom while they were on vacation and she has no hoarded it up that the closest and window are inaccessible ago. It's extremely frustrating.
Wow, do you ever stop and really think about why you need to complain about your mother so much here? From your posts, one can summarize....

-my mother's obese
-my mother is lazy
-my mother's house is dirty
-my mother has horrible eating habits
-my mother watches too much television
-my mother hoards things
-my mother shops too much
-my mother buys things I don't want nor appreciate for me
-my mother doesn't take care of her cat
-my mother got fired from her job

Old 10-05-2019, 03:15 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,546,769 times
Kids aren’t responsible for their parents financially. He should let them know he can’t help financially if they get into a bind and let them live with the consequences of their behavior. They are adults and will figure it out.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
She was already gonna quit in 2 weeks - what difference does it make now that she was fired? Was she ever gonna consider going back there? Would she ever consider trying to get another job, especially one that would require a reference from the past (beyond just a confirmation that she worked there for a certain period of time)?

It's all water under the bridge now - let your parents work it out and you tend to your own retirement plans...in what, 30 years? I really think you like living vicariously through them and the people on here, just waiting to retire yourself.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:49 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It’s none of your business whether they are financially ready for her to retire. That’s between the two of them. I’d be furious if my adult kids were sticking their noses in my business and treating me like a child at age 62.
Unless his parents are NOT financially set and might expect HIM to shoulder that burden. If that is the case I can understand his concern. Went through this with my mom when my step-father died. My sister and I always had to be helping her financially because they didn't plan properly. And before anybody says I should be happy to help her, she abandoned my sister and I when we were 3 & 4 years old. She is fortunate that grace was upon her.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:46 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Unless his parents are NOT financially set and might expect HIM to shoulder that burden. If that is the case I can understand his concern. Went through this with my mom when my step-father died. My sister and I always had to be helping her financially because they didn't plan properly. And before anybody says I should be happy to help her, she abandoned my sister and I when we were 3 & 4 years old. She is fortunate that grace was upon her.
No one is expecting me to help. Regardless, the burden can’t fall anywhere else.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:46 AM

7,135 posts, read 4,546,769 times
The burden falls on your parents where it belongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement