Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
One doesn't just 'find a wive' as if just about anyone on the planet will suffice - as if all it takes is that a person is willing to be a wife and just about anyone will be feasible!

That is very antiquated thinking - back to when women were financially dependent upon a man and upon a husband.

If one happens to meet a woman who one has a great relationship with, then one might consider marrying that person.

One doesn't just grab any woman just in order to have a 'wife' rather than happening to meet someone who one especially clicks with on many levels and then thinks about possibly marrying that person. Very antiquated thinking is that just about anyone will suffice because of very old-fashioned financial dependency and other antiquated ideas.
Plenty of women out there. It is not that hard to find a wife. If a man is willing to make the commitment they will find plenty of women that are also willing to make the same commitment. Being financially dependent is not a factor. The idea is that two people working together to build a life will be more successful then going it alone.

Antiquated thinking? You mean when people actually worked as a couple to stay together? You mean like in the old days when a couple would get married and spend a life time building memories together. That still exists for many people.

Find someone that has the qualities that you like and marry that person. Put 100% of effort into making that person happy. If you can do that, you will be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 02:28 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Once you are retired it's all over but your dreams about work. Here is a more important question. Has your mother transitioned over to your father's health insurance?
^^^^^^^^^
Check into COBRA!

Old 10-04-2019, 02:47 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
^^^^^^^^^
Check into COBRA!
She’s going on his insurance ASAP.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
^^^^^^^^^
Check into COBRA!
LOL COBRA for my last job was $750/month for just myself, just health insurance. Dental and vision separate.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 578,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
She’s going on his insurance ASAP.
Except being so obese, the cost might be astronomical

Old 10-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Plenty of women out there. It is not that hard to find a wife. If a man is willing to make the commitment they will find plenty of women that are also willing to make the same commitment. Being financially dependent is not a factor. The idea is that two people working together to build a life will be more successful then going it alone.

Antiquated thinking? You mean when people actually worked as a couple to stay together? You mean like in the old days when a couple would get married and spend a life time building memories together. That still exists for many people.

Find someone that has the qualities that you like and marry that person. Put 100% of effort into making that person happy. If you can do that, you will be successful.

Most sensible and truthful post I've read in a long time. The bolded is where people's minds need to be, not on celebrities, the media or all this craziness. Reminds me of this old song below

"I've looked around enough to know ....that you're the one I wanna go thru time with"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1rMeYnOmM

Old 10-04-2019, 04:24 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Except being so obese, the cost might be astronomical
Can't base premiums on pre-existing conditions anymore. Age, yes.

Cost of the same policy doubles given 30 y/o vs. 55 y/o

Old 10-04-2019, 04:47 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
LOL COBRA for my last job was $750/month for just myself, just health insurance. Dental and vision separate.
That insurance on the open market might run $800-1500 a month.

Before Medicare mine had gone up to about $1100 a month.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Can't base premiums on pre-existing conditions anymore. Age, yes.

Cost of the same policy doubles given 30 y/o vs. 55 y/o

Great thanks for the info

Old 10-04-2019, 10:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have posted several times about my mother retiring. Mom turns 62 on the 19th. Dad will continue to work, but mom has several health issues and has been wanting to retire for a year or two now. They have low six figures in investment accounts, a bit of home equity, and several small pensions (couple hundred here and there) from the various places they've worked. My guess is their total net worth is between $150,000 - $200,000.

The house and one car are not paid for. He makes around $60,000 a year in a physical job and her SS check at 62 is going to be around $1,000/month. She had been planning on leaving the 17th of this month. Frankly, they're not financially ready for her to retire and don't seem to have planned it carefully, but mom is getting out of there come hell or high water.

She's been complaining about work and her colleagues a lot for the better part of a year now. She got a new manager she doesn't like. They're understaffed. No one else is carrying the mail. Standard office politics. Mom is generally out of the office at least part of the day one day a week for doctor's appointments, sometimes two, and has been calling in sick a lot over the last few months. Where I'm at, being out of the office that much would get you in trouble, and probably fired.

She was telling me on Friday about how bad it was. I told that she had something like thirteen working days left and to just suck it up.

What does mom actually do? She went off on her manager and her manager's manager yesterday about some coworkers talking excessively and that "if they can't keep the others quiet so she can concentrate, she'll just go home." Well, they fired her! She has this smug attitude about it and seems relieved that she's out of there.

Dad works evenings and I've only sent him a text, but he seemed furious with her. I have no idea what, if anything, she's left on the table by getting fired.

Do you know anyone who left on bad terms like this?

I didn't leave the way I 'should have' but nothing as extreme as your mom's leaving. There just came a time where my health issues were getting worse, my mental health was being tested and I had just HAD IT with the job, the public and all that entailed. Not feeling well, not being able to breathe well and being on a constant run took it's toll. On my last day...and I didn't know it was my "last day" until it was!...I asked my boss how much time she really needed if I gave notice. She said if I wasn't planning on coming back just don't come in. So I didn't. First time in my life I was a no call-no show. A few months later they wanted me to come back, and I almost did but my doc said "No", unless I wanted to end up where I was when I quit. So, I guess I was officially 'retired'. I still don't feel "retired", whatever that feels like. Just still "unemployed". Like your mother though I am very relieved to be "out of there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement