Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 03:29 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,783 times

Advertisements

Many years ago, before FB and Twitter, I was contracting at a FAANG. They were paying me a fortune, on an hourly basis, for my niche skill set.

One day, while fielding an urgent call while stuck on 680, I suggested maybe it would make more sense for me to just work from home….. oooohhh, noooo, we need to pay you for 3 hours a day of commute time.

Ok, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 03:37 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Those aren't "your" hours.

There was a labor shortage before COVID, by the way.

You might consider getting Instacart since you can't stand the stores. I've been doing that for years. Leaves me more time for the beach and other pleasant pastimes. If you're out of Instacart's range or it's too expensive for you, Misfit's Market, Schwann's, and other services send items right to your door.
1. The labor shortage pre-Covid was probably legitimate. Once everyone started getting all that free money from the government, many of them decided they were worth more than whatever the prevailing wages were. There are plenty of of people to fill the employee gaps, many of them are Legends In Their Own Minds and honestly believe their abilities are worth more money, while they sit on their phones and text. Work ethic is fast falling by the wayside.

2. I think Schwanns left town during Covid, lol. For the record, where we live, NOBODY would come to our door, which is several hundred feet behind a locked gate because we can’t see the road from the house

Old 05-23-2022, 03:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
1. The labor shortage pre-Covid was probably legitimate. Once everyone started getting all that free money from the government, many of them decided they were worth more than whatever the prevailing wages were. There are plenty of of people to fill the employee gaps, many of them are Legends In Their Own Minds and honestly believe their abilities are worth more money, while they sit on their phones and text. Work ethic is fast falling by the wayside.

2. I think Schwanns left town during Covid, lol. For the record, where we live, NOBODY would come to our door, which is several hundred feet behind a locked gate because we can’t see the road from the house

Even the states that cut off monetary assistance very early on did not see an increase in their labor force.

Surprised me, but those were the numbers.

I find, generally speaking, that the place of business pretty much sets the tone for customer service. Costco and Trader Joe's normally have awesome service, when I get someone rude I am shocked, because it is so out of the norm.

Other places, I won't even bother to ask a question because they either won't know,or won't care.

Generally speaking, I don't find the current work ethic any worse than it has been in the past. Could never find anyone in Home Depot to help me 15 years ago, and still can't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-23-2022, 03:53 PM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wouldn't that be twauk or tuwauk? Like in cuwoffee.......
No.

Where are you getting the extra syllable or the W before the A? I don't say those words that way, and as I said, born and lived more than 60 years in NJ. It's tawk and cawfee.

Oh and my silly Canadian partner tells me that you're supposed to pronounce the L in a'ready.

You might be thinking of Brooklyn or even Lawn Guyland.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
My spouse has been a remote employee for 15+ years. They work all kinds of hours. At one point they managed a team in another country so they had meetings at 7am and 11pm our time. Not to mention that MANY people don't work 9-5 today. Work has become a 24 hour a day thing. You really have no idea if someone is on their lunch break, took the day off, works a different shift, etc when you see people out and about during the day. Who cares? I'm not their boss.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

You do understand, don't you, that the "free money" tap is no longer flowing?

I employ between 40-50 people in our business. We didn't have much trouble staying staffed during the pandemic.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:45 PM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You do understand, don't you, that the "free money" tap is no longer flowing?

I employ between 40-50 people in our business. We didn't have much trouble staying staffed during the pandemic.
The mindset is still there. See today's announcement of $30 minimum wage and breaking into closed off houses. It also seems to have geographic lines. Personally Philadelphia is difficult to work with compared to The Southern States.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:54 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My spouse has been a remote employee for 15+ years. They work all kinds of hours. At one point they managed a team in another country so they had meetings at 7am and 11pm our time. Not to mention that MANY people don't work 9-5 today. Work has become a 24 hour a day thing. You really have no idea if someone is on their lunch break, took the day off, works a different shift, etc when you see people out and about during the day. Who cares? I'm not their boss.
To me, the 24x7 nature is the tragedy of it all. There is really no “off time” anymore. I’m never really off the leash. Sure, I can cheese a bit of time during the day for a Target run sometimes, but I’m also basically available 24x7 in a way most Boomers and Silents were not.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
The mindset is still there. See today's announcement of $30 minimum wage and breaking into closed off houses. It also seems to have geographic lines. Personally Philadelphia is difficult to work with compared to The Southern States.

I don't read everything on this forum and haven't seen the $30 minimum wage/breaking into houses thing. Where is it?

Not saying the "mindset" isn't still there (or that it really is, for that matter — unemployment numbers are really low, so what are they supposedly living on?); just saying I didn't encounter that particular problem.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-23-2022 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 05:00 PM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the 24x7 nature is the tragedy of it all. There is really no “off time” anymore. I’m never really off the leash. Sure, I can cheese a bit of time during the day for a Target run sometimes, but I’m also basically available 24x7 in a way most Boomers and Silents were not.
This may sound harsh but you too that job recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement