Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 10:54 AM

8,797 posts, read 5,094,304 times

Advertisements

DH has all his teeth, but now is going to lose one....last one in the back. We are now retired, and have no dental ins. Dentist said that he needs in implant, so neighboring teeth are not affected....thousands of dollars . Anyone not replace a pulled tooth, and not have any issues, years afterwards?
I also posted in the dental forum, but not much action there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 11:01 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
Bacteria from unpulled infected teeth affect various organs in a bad way. It's not okay to just hand to the tooth, but I assume that not replacing it might be okay. Sorry I can't help more.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:17 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
DH has all his teeth, but now is going to lose one....last one in the back. We are now retired, and have no dental ins. Dentist said that he needs in implant, so neighboring teeth are not affected....thousands of dollars . Anyone not replace a pulled tooth, and not have any issues, years afterwards?
I know and have experienced "Tooth float" where four were removed and wearing the partial wasn't easy. It caused 5 others to shift and one actually was backwards. However it took YEARS before I had any more removed.

And since it's "In the back" there's little need to keep a tooth just for appearance sake. I'm suspecting a dentist is padding the bank account.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
I have lost 2 bottom molars, one in the back and one on the opposite side in between two others (circa 2016-17) and my dentist has never recommended an implant. They watch and make sure the teeth aren't moving at every 6-month appointment.

Being a senior without dental insurance seems risky.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Have it pulled. I have been missing the last two top molars on both sides for many years. That empty space does not show. But when front teeth started going, I got implants for those.

Missing the last tooth in the back is unlikely to allow other teeth to shift.

Implants are not the only solution either. They can make a crown on the next to last tooth with a cantilevered fake last tooth. I had some of those in the past. Or a removable fake tooth that clips on to the teeth adjacent to the empty spot.

Implants are not the only solution. Find a different dentist.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:02 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I have lost 2 bottom molars, one in the back and one on the opposite side in between two others (circa 2016-17) and my dentist has never recommended an implant. They watch and make sure the teeth aren't moving at every 6-month appointment.

Being a senior without dental insurance seems risky.
Most dental insurance policies don't pay much for the expensive stuff anyway. Not worth it.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:07 PM

8,797 posts, read 5,094,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Most dental insurance policies don't pay much for the expensive stuff anyway. Not worth it.
Exactly.....I have looked into it.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:26 PM

130,670 posts, read 12,177,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
This is true, most not worth the premiums.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:32 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
Mine pays for half a crown so for me that's worth it.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:35 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
I lost a tooth about 40 years ago. At the time I didn't have the cash to have a bridge made. I haven't had any issues.

As far as infected teeth go, BDL speaks truth. I wrote in the Health and Wellness forum about my spouse's refusal to have his rotten teeth removed. The smell is putrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement