Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,165,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Janet, The next 3 weeks will be over before you know it. I've always had to wear "business attire" (shrts and ties) to work. Now I don't have to and that's a savings in itself--no more dry cleaning, replacing worn or old clothes, etc. Also I'm saving on lunches, gas money, getting haircuts every month. It doesn't sound like much but it does add up over time.

I laugh at it but now I'm getting "senior discounts" at the supermarkets which adds up also. There are ways to save without going overboard.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'd welcome a senior discount!

I am so looking forward to leaving the stress and deadlines behind me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,486,465 times
I just found out we qualify for the senior 30% discount at Goodwill. I love to buy woolens for rug hooking and we both scout out simple clothes like new tshirts and polo shirts. Last week I saw a handmade quilted jacket. Too small but well made.

We still are having issues like "what day is it" and "why not wait until Monday" since we both just retired. House has not gotten any cleaner.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM

384 posts, read 990,771 times
janetvj - good luck on your last few weeks! How fun and exciting that it is almost here for you. Your comments on curbing travel are probably a sobering reality I have not yet faced. I traveled over 40,000 airmiles last year, and this year I have four trips planned. It is prohibitively expensive to get "outside" of Alaska unless one is located in Anchorage. Once outside, however, the relatively low airfares are like being in a candy store. I'm fine living here as long as I can get out multiple times a year - that may prove to be a challenge in retirement.

Our retirement system offers a 10% bonus if we stay in state - unfortunately, that doesn't equate to even one ticket out....so it is not much of an incentive.

I think retirement may be like returning to those college days with a very limited budget. How did the inbetween time go by so fast?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:29 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,165,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
janetvj - good luck on your last few weeks! How fun and exciting that it is almost here for you. Your comments on curbing travel are probably a sobering reality I have not yet faced. I traveled over 40,000 airmiles last year, and this year I have four trips planned. It is prohibitively expensive to get "outside" of Alaska unless one is located in Anchorage. Once outside, however, the relatively low airfares are like being in a candy store. I'm fine living here as long as I can get out multiple times a year - that may prove to be a challenge in retirement.

Our retirement system offers a 10% bonus if we stay in state - unfortunately, that doesn't equate to even one ticket out....so it is not much of an incentive.

I think retirement may be like returning to those college days with a very limited budget. How did the inbetween time go by so fast?
Thanks miruca! I'm very excited about retiring, but that's making my last few weeks seem like torture. And I can't just coast; there's too much going on at work right now and it wouldn't be fair to either my co-workers or management to do that. So I'm trudging along, but I can't help counting down the days.

I've never been to Alaska but I'll bet it's beautiful. I'd love to visit, but as for settling down permanently I need to be someplace warmer. I really want to relocate further south, but I'll have to see how things go.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:45 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,351,497 times
I've decided to do some volunteer work to keep me busy. I have free time (NOT for work though) and this will give me something to do and will get me out of the house.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,991 times
Quote:
I've decided to do some volunteer work to keep me busy. I have free time (NOT for work though) and this will give me something to do and will get me out of the house.
Hi NJMike, I'm in NJ also. I think I'm going to try volunteer work also as I've been out of work a year now and going buggy.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Hi NJMike, I'm in NJ also. I think I'm going to try volunteer work also as I've been out of work a year now and going buggy.
Taurus, I grew up in Newark, Jersey City and in Union Beach but am now living in Pennsylvania. I've been retired since the middle of February and was climbing the walls not having something different to do so I volunteered at the Scranton Cultural Center as an usher.

They have some great concerts and shows which I would get to see for free whenever I'm ushering.

Last edited by East Coast Wanderer; 04-01-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,953,991 times
Quote:
Taurus, I grew up in Newark, Jersey City and in Union Beach but am now living in Pennsylvania. I've been retired since the middle of February and was climbing the walls not having something different to do so I volunteered at the Scranton Cultural Center as an usher.

They have some great concerts and shows which I would get to see for free whenever I'm ushering.
njmike, I will retire the end of the month. I also grew up in Newark in the 50's, west side near 14th ave.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
njmike, I will retire the end of the month. I also grew up in Newark in the 50's, west side near 14th ave.
I moved from Newark to JC around 48 or 49. I did work in Newark at the bank on the corner of Broad and Market, across from the Pru building.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 AM

I'm really getting into this retirement chapter of my life. Tomorrow (Saturday) I'm ushering at the Philharmonic show, Sunday it's the ballet and Monday it's the Jeff Beck concert. Of course I won't usher at every show but 2 or 3 times a week won't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement