Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
The inspector I go to takes my $16 and gives me a sticker. He usually checks for insurance as well. My vehicles are well maintained, but I do worry about others going there. A friend hasn't had stickers for a few years on any of his three cars although his cars are meticulous. He has been pulled over for other things but he has yet to get an inspection ticket.

I was wondering if this was a local phenomenon...other areas I have lived in Texas were pretty in-depth, but locally it seems to be pay the $16, show proof of insurance, and see you in 12 months. Little to no actual "inspection" going on.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM

410 posts, read 923,799 times
....a Corner Bakery Cafe van @ 410 and McCollough sitting at red light in front of me. Sign read ..."makes frequent and delicious stops" and then proceeded to turn into the Renaissance Plaza-- no doubt to deliver a baker's dozen of yumminess.

Also, on 410 by San Pedro exit, two beige vehicles who'd just collided, police had not yet arrived. The truck (w damage to the right rear) was parked in the left shoulder and car (damage to the left front) in the right shoulder. Hope they are all ok.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Second, are the state vehicle inspections in San Antonio a joke? I see multiple vehicles on my morning commute, either by passing them, or being passed by them, with noticeable fault lights shining on the instrument panel. Of course it's too far away to clearly see what they are for, but amber lights usually indicate fault notification on the instrument panel. While I am not positive, it would stand to reason that if you took your car/truck/SUV in for the annual state inspection, and it had a brake, check engine, check transmission light illuminated, it would fail the inspection.
A check engine light is not necessarily an indicator of a safety issue with the vehicle.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
A check engine light is not necessarily an indicator of a safety issue with the vehicle.
Fully aware, just surprised at the number of breakdowns in SA compared to other areas I have lived in Texas.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
A couple of recent observations that I have begun to see with increased frequency. First, I leave for work at or around 6am, so it is still dark for my entire commute. I have seen at least 10 vehicles on I-10, just this week, with no tail lights at all. Not dimmed, or masked by tinted lenses, but zero tail lights. Most had working head lights. Different makes and models, so that sort of rules out the day time running lights not tied to tail lights that some manufacturers have. This is extremely dangerous.

Second, are the state vehicle inspections in San Antonio a joke? I see multiple vehicles on my morning commute, either by passing them, or being passed by them, with noticeable fault lights shining on the instrument panel. Of course it's too far away to clearly see what they are for, but amber lights usually indicate fault notification on the instrument panel. While I am not positive, it would stand to reason that if you took your car/truck/SUV in for the annual state inspection, and it had a brake, check engine, check transmission light illuminated, it would fail the inspection. I have also seen a large number of vehicle pulled onto the shoulders of I-10 and the short stretch of I-35 I take with completely shredded tires. I know for a fact that tires are checked, at least for tread depth, during the state inspection. I have to wonder how some many vehicles are having such catastrophic tire failures within 12 months of a physical inspection. Do a large number of people just not bother, and drive with an expired inspection sticker, or are they paying a little extra to get the inspector to look the other way? I know, at least for people working on any of the military bases in town, that registration and inspection stickers are checked by the gate guards when entering post. You cannot enter with an expired registration or inspection sticker. Appreciate any insights...

Sometimes people just can't fix whatever it is that needs to be fixed in order to receive a new inspection sticker. Case in point: we have an 18-year-old Japanese car with a taillight that's out. If changing the bulb would work, I'd fix it in a jiff. Alas, fixing the bulb doesn't work. I'm really not going to go out of my way to fix that. Am I really putting people in danger here? Seriously?

It's our least-intensive car to use. It's also our oldest. Our 2nd-oldest car is MY2008. We are simply not going to invest all that much in it. If that means we don't get new inspection stickers, so be it. At least we'll save money on inspection stickers.

If it was something absolutely serious that would put us or someone else in danger, then we'd either fix it or get rid of the car. I imagine that many people with expired and unreplaced inspection stickers are in similar situations. Or some are merely insanely lazy/don't care.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
I'd maintain that yes, you are putting people in danger. Those lights are there for a reason. Not just to look pretty.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 AM

For clarification, I wasn't talking about a single tail light. I am talking about multiple cars on the freeways (I-10 and I-35), during hours of darkness, 6:00-6:30am, with NO tail lights. Zero, nada, zilch, none, nil, nein, etc. This is dangerous. Imagine being in one of infrequently lit stretches of interstate going the speed limit and coming up on a car merging from an on ramp, especially dark colored cars, or in stretches with fog. Yes this is very dangerous, and these cars should not be on the road. If these drivers are either unwilling or unable to maintain the vehicle, then get it off the road.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:55 PM

..at a red light on potranco and 151, an older model white mazda with a twenty-something male, rocking from side to side to music only he can hear...best part = when he breaks into an Axl Rose snake-like dance..while seated! lol...loved it

Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 AM

56 posts, read 117,939 times
Has anyone seen the Hispanic Elvis Impersonator who rides around downtown on a bicycle, always trailing a cape behind him, mutton chops, big shades, sequins, whole 9 yards? I think in the last 6 months Ive seen him 4 times now just casually bikin along. Actually the first time was around Fiesta so I assumed he was somehow part of one of the festivities but.. nope... seen him since usually in the morning.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 AM

Yes, I've seen him a couple times on my drive in to work. Saw him once strumming a giant foam guitar. "I'm all shook up!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio