Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You can listen to the recordings if you want to hear what she said in all of its unvarnished glory. The site is getting hammered from all over the country, so this might not be the best time to listen. But it's all there.

Elisa Chan reveals views on homosexuality in recording provided to the San Antonio Express-News - San Antonio Express-News
Just listened to it. Wow, just wow. It's was an embarresing recording of a bunch of ignorant bigots sitting around the room and proudly proclaiming their homophobia and stupidity. I used to like Elisa Chan, she seemed decent as far as local politicians go, but I have no respect for her now. I'm glad the staff member recorded this and gave it to the news, it's nice to know how our politicians feel behind closed doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM

When Kentucky makes San Antonio look backwards, you know something is jacked up.

Stephen Colbert's 'Best Segment Ever' Will Make You Feel So Many Things

Old 08-16-2013, 07:55 PM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
With all the corruption, the millions of dollars and jobs our Mayor has cost us This is what makes news? Really? Get over it You are what you are. She spoke her mind and for once we got the truth instead of lies. Are gays disgusting? Uhhhhhh Yes some are. The lifestyle is viewed as gross. look at the strip that whole block screams hep c! Just because someone thinks gays are disgusting why should we think less of them? As soon as someone says or doesn't approve of the gay community they are labeled a bigot or ignorant. what does that say about you? I have friends and very close family that are gay, but they know where I stand and I will always be against it. But just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I hate the gay community. I believe in equal rights and was very torn with the whole gay marriage deal. But my faith is stronger I can not side with the gay community because for me its wrong.

stop using homophobe so loosely just cause your gay and I don't agree doesn't mean Im not gonna have a cup of coffee with you, or deny you job, or not service you. The media wants this they want us to be against each other, look what they did with the whole treyvon case. We need to coexist and stop being at each others throats all the time over political correctness.

Forget what or how a person feels towards a community focus on the real major issues we have as a society. Like lazy people living off the system, a Corrupt city council taking money away from its community, our government funding terrorist and sending guns to mexico and letting anybody coming over and getting a free ride. Not someone thinking gays are disgusting.

In the end if she has a backbone will stick to her guns and say so what! I guarantee she will still win. You think a heterosexual is gonna care what she thinks about a small gay community? LOL look what happened with Chick fa le, I remember the gay community tried to protest against a small business here in town and all it did was gain her more business And everybody forgot about it.....call me a bigot, racists, ignorant its not gonna phase me one bit. It will just prove you are the one with the issues.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
With all the corruption, the millions of dollars and jobs our Mayor has cost us This is what makes news? Really? Get over it You are what you are. She spoke her mind and for once we got the truth instead of lies. Are gays disgusting? Uhhhhhh Yes some are. The lifestyle is viewed as gross. look at the strip that whole block screams hep c! Just because someone thinks gays are disgusting why should we think less of them? As soon as someone says or doesn't approve of the gay community they are labeled a bigot or ignorant. what does that say about you? I have friends and very close family that are gay, but they know where I stand and I will always be against it. But just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I hate the gay community. I believe in equal rights and was very torn with the whole gay marriage deal. But my faith is stronger I can not side with the gay community because for me its wrong.

stop using homophobe so loosely just cause your gay and I don't agree doesn't mean Im not gonna have a cup of coffee with you, or deny you job, or not service you. The media wants this they want us to be against each other, look what they did with the whole treyvon case. We need to coexist and stop being at each others throats all the time over political correctness.

Forget what or how a person feels towards a community focus on the real major issues we have as a society. Like lazy people living off the system, a Corrupt city council taking money away from its community, our government funding terrorist and sending guns to mexico and letting anybody coming over and getting a free ride. Not someone thinking gays are disgusting.

In the end if she has a backbone will stick to her guns and say so what! I guarantee she will still win. You think a heterosexual is gonna care what she thinks about a small gay community? LOL look what happened with Chick fa le, I remember the gay community tried to protest against a small business here in town and all it did was gain her more business And everybody forgot about it.....call me a bigot, racists, ignorant its not gonna phase me one bit. It will just prove you are the one with the issues.
Hey Buddy, this is an Internet forum and this country still supports freedom of speech. If we want to discuss and standup against the civil suppression of others, we will do so and don't give a rat's a$$ if it annoys you.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Chan raised a legitimate question. Are gays born that way? If its a lifestyle choice, then society should not have to amend the institution of marriage from man and women.
When did you choose to be heterosexual?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Hey Buddy, this is an Internet forum and this country still supports freedom of speech. If we want to discuss and standup against the civil suppression of others, we will do so and don't give a rat's a$$ if it annoys you.
Lol I didn't say I was annoyed and No civil rights were suppressed. Was anybody denied something cause they were gay? I don't think so. She doesn't like gays along with countless of Americans so what? Does it hurt? Is it keeping you from living your life? A lot of people don't like Mexicans do you see us crying about it? It's life not everyone is gonna like you. Learn to move on and focus on real life challenges not somebody's feelings

Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 PM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Quote:
Was anybody denied something cause they were gay? I don't think so.
Do you really believe that discrimination doesn't occur? That people are not denied employment, habitat, and equal treatment because they are gay? Even as a straight white guy, I have to say that comes of as one of the most privileged statements I've read in a long time.

How about the 3 federal workers I work with who are legally married in states that legalized it years ago being denied the same spousal benefits (up to the ruling against DOMA this Summer) as their straight married co-workers? That took me one second to think of, I can come up with more if I put effort into it. This is just an example of institutionalized discrimination. Non-institutionalized is much more subtle and pervasive.

The problem with Chan & co.'s statements is that she is in a position to decide public policy and make employment decisions for the city. In my experience, those who hold such harsh views of another group are rarely able to limit those views to word only.

Last edited by CyVaquero; 08-16-2013 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Missed a word that changes the meaning of the statement.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 PM

Ohhh okay so she should be prosecuted because of her views she may deny rights to gays? Okay got it. No laws were broken, no civil rights were violated. Only crime here is people getting Their feelings hurt.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 PM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Quote:
Ohhh okay so she should be prosecuted because of her views she may deny rights to gays? Okay got it. No laws were broken, no civil rights were violated. Only crime here is people getting Their feelings hurt.
I'm not sure where you get 'she should be prosecuted'. You're right, no laws have been broken but her constituency deserves to know what her true views are on issues that may affect them and her representation of them. I'm new to SA so I don't know if she is guilty of talking out of both sides of her mouth.

Personally (due to my own mixed marriage) I prefer people to be up front with their bigotry. That way I can make sure that I don't support or do business with them. Freedom of speech is a two-way street.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM

stating that gays are disgusting is not bigotry. Again why is okay for gays or gay supporters to call names but its not okay vice versa? Typical double standard....Yes I'm sure she lost a few supporters but I'm almost certain she gained a few as well.

liberals always whining about words, never making any sense. Chan will still be in office and nobody will remember this ever happened by the end of the month. Again people are ignoring all the b.s the mayor is doing but let someone say something about blacks or the gays and its the end of the world! Same song and dance we are all bigots and ignorant I guess just cause we don't fly the gay flag. We need to all approve of the lifestyle.

hell a politician spoke the truth for once! Remember Profiling is a two way street as well.

this is just all useless and pointless whining, I'll wake up tomorrow and Americas real problems will still be there.

Mayor Castro and the whole gay community can all go hold hands together downtown crying for unity and equal rights while our economic structure collapses in front of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio