Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 12:18 PM

99 posts, read 224,026 times

Advertisements

I'm going to out myself as a potential bigot, and would love to hear thoughts on this.

I'm very pro gay rights, and feel gays (and the entire GLBT community) should have the same rights as everyone else. However, I do personally find what gays do to be "disgusting." The thought of many homosexual acts is repulsive to me, and gives me a feeling that's probably best described as sickening. It makes me want to throw up.

That being said, it's just the way I feel and my own personal reaction. I still support gays because it's their lifestyle choice, and I don't think my thoughts should have any bearing on how they choose to live.

Does my thinking make me a bigot? Can I still consider myself a supporter of gay rights, even though I find gay acts to be disgusting? Does finding gay acts disgusting mean I think gays are distusting? I've always wondered about these questions. I never talk about this with my friends because I'm aware how people could view it, but I'd love to get your opinions in a more anonymous setting like we have here.

Edit: Per getgoing2010's post, this may be best in another forum, possibly the political one. It's relevant to the definition of bigotry as discussed above and the meaning of Chan's words, but it might to be too far on the other side of the blurred line of what's San Antonio-related and what's not.

Last edited by CoachBForThree; 08-17-2013 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: See edit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 PM

268 posts, read 594,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBForThree View Post
I'm going to out myself as a potential bigot, and would love to hear thoughts on this.

I'm very pro gay rights, and feel gays (and the entire GLBT community) should have the same rights as everyone else. However, I do personally find what gays do to be "disgusting." The thought of many homosexual acts is repulsive to me, and gives me a feeling that's probably best described as sickening. It makes me want to throw up.

That being said, it's just the way I feel and my own personal reaction. I still support gays because it's their lifestyle choice, and I don't think my thoughts should have any bearing on how they choose to live.

Does my thinking make me a bigot? Can I still consider myself a supporter of gay rights, even though I find gay acts to be disgusting? Does finding gay acts disgusting mean I think gays are distusting? I've always wondered about these questions. I never talk about this with my friends because I'm aware how people could view it, but I'd love to get your opinions in a more anonymous setting like we have here.

Moderator: I would recommend a new thread for this post.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Haha. Sodomy is "disgusting" yet millions of married straight couples partake in it everyday. I'm sure many of the "bigots" posting in this thread have participated in sodomy. The world is full of hypocrites!

Old 08-17-2013, 01:52 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
I love this....folks opposed to the gay lifestyle are bigots - yet those that attack them for their beliefs are "enlightened".

Sorry.........what you do in your life is your choice. To expect me to condone it, "accept" it or otherwise encourage it in my presence - ain't gonna happen. I don't want to see a male/female couple getting "into it" in public - don't wanna see same sex couples doing it either. I won't attend a same sex "wedding", because to do so would be against my faith/views - but I'm not going to disturb it, either.

I have standards and beliefs. I won't compromise mine to somehow "fit" into yours.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I don't see this thread going anywhere constructive.
Closed.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:45 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,642 times
Default Elisa Chan defends anti-gay remarks as free speech - San Antonio Express-News

Elisa Chan defends anti-gay remarks as free speech - San Antonio Express-News

Bravo Councilwoman. I'm so tired of the LGBT claiming everyone is hurtful, hateful, and a bigot just because someone does not share the same beliefs.

Especially how they twisted her statement that Pedophilia and Bestiality was disgusting and then ran with the headline that she found gays disgusting.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
Everyone has their own opinions, she had hers and I'm glad she is standing her ground. That being said, as far as her political career goes.... I think she screwed the proverbial pooch.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM

161 posts, read 227,196 times
I am SO sick of this topic...the EN has about six threads going. There IS other news.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
What is the point of this thread? Isn't there already a thread about this?

Did you even read the article? She certainly has a right to her opinion, but she was putting in a comment that a LGBT agenda would eventually be leading to legalizing incest, pedophilia, and bestiality which shows how smart she is. This is no better than those in the LGBT community calling those that don't agree with them "bigots".

It is a slap in the face to the LGBT community to state something like this.

Last edited by Azure110; 08-20-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 PM

502 posts, read 934,540 times
That is called BACKBONE which many politicians including our mayor doesn't have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio