Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,135 times

Advertisements

Did anyone mention OX for Oxford?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 AM

20 posts, read 68,936 times
WA was walnut. They seemed to be named after nuts for some reason. I also remember TAYLOR 65000 or CAPITAL 69000. Must have been a commercial. Maybe good ol' Arrow Upholstery I think the exchanges were adopted cause it was thought too hard to remember long 7 digit numbers.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
In the background of this Telephone...Central Office photo...is the "TOWER OF DOOM"....it is the very place I met GWhopper and we first started to pass the day in our cubes by trying to out do each other recalling all the things that are GBNF in SA!

http://www.dmine.com/phworld/co/210/sa_medicalcenter_1.jpg (broken link)

Intersting side note...we were told that building was designed to be a "High Rise Storage Building". That fell through and it became an office building instead.
Actually, before Billing Concepts moved in there, it was used as a storage facility. I think the story was that it was originally built as a medical office building with the intent of putting large equipment like MRI machines or hyperbaric chambers in there, but once built it flunked the building inspection and didn't meet specs for that kind of equipment. It was then used as a storage building until Billing Concepts moved in there and helped renovate the place. I went there once when BC announced that was where they were going to move to, and it was indeed a big storage building. I do know for a fact the floors were uneven there, we did many experiments with balls and coke cans that all used to roll by themselves to the southwest corner of the building.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 AM

28 posts, read 153,755 times
Default Lyndys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari lynn View Post
Ok there is a Lowe's where Munchkin Mansion used to be???? Lyndys was at the corner there on Fredericksburg Rd...??
I really need to get back there more often. Grad Lee in '83.
Lyndys is still there. I go there occasionally. Still the same...

Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 AM

34 posts, read 107,349 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo
In honor of GW Whopper and all his efforts......let us take a moment to recall all the locations of Whopper Burger and GW Jrs? I know this isn't all of them

Whopper Burger:
I-10 Wurzbach (HEB parking lot)
Callaghan and Fredricksburg
410 and Bandera
Wonderland Mall
San Pedro( near Maggies, present day Arbys)
St. Mary's strip (Present day Burger Boy)
West Ave near Basse (present day Murfs)

there was a whopper burger off of Goliad RD. about 2 blocks north of hot wells

Old 10-28-2007, 01:14 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,135 times
Also a Whopper at Blanco and 410.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,199 times
Default Playland Park Is NOT Forgotten

The book on the history of San Antonio's Playland Park is due out at the end of November 2007. Check out the website at: Just For Fun!.

The book has over 250 vintage photographs going back to 1930. It echos the park's motto: "Just For Fun".

Old 10-28-2007, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 15,452 times
Default lyndys

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeta2 View Post
Lyndys is still there. I go there occasionally. Still the same...
Acutally Lyndys is no more! =(
its now called The Highlander

Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Default Billing Concepts Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Actually, before Billing Concepts moved in there, it was used as a storage facility. I think the story was that it was originally built as a medical office building with the intent of putting large equipment like MRI machines or hyperbaric chambers in there, but once built it flunked the building inspection and didn't meet specs for that kind of equipment. It was then used as a storage building until Billing Concepts moved in there and helped renovate the place. I went there once when BC announced that was where they were going to move to, and it was indeed a big storage building. I do know for a fact the floors were uneven there, we did many experiments with balls and coke cans that all used to roll by themselves to the southwest corner of the building.
I now remember the uneven floors, doors that would not close....it was like working in a fun house!

Remember Grill on the hill that patio type bar near Lyndies....that had been many things over the year...anyone remember all the name changes?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,816 times
Anyone remember Iries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio