Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
There was a place on Brooklyn right about where Augusta intersects called Four Brothers Steak House. I never ate there myself, though, so I can't say whether it is the place you were thinking of based on your description of the amenities contained within.

Four Brothers! That must be it! (Four Seasons....haha....I wish!)....but ya know..it was the 70's in SA! It's probably a parking lot now, but that area sounds just about right. I remember making a couple of turns and were on Broadway and drove to the Broadway theater in Alamo Heights and saw Patton!
I know....a total romantic...a dive BUT STEAK!....and Patton! Hey..I was 15.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,063 times
I didn't look through all of the post, but anyone remember Mustang Drive in on Broadway or Jay's on San Pedro?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 AM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
"Martini's was (and still is, I think) in the strip center at Rector/McCullough."[/quote]

That's the place I was thinking!!...behind North Star Mall.
Last time I visited SA for a couple of days was in '06,...drove past Central Park Mall and I saw it was fenced.
What happened to it??

Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 PM

8 posts, read 42,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
"Martini's was (and still is, I think) in the strip center at Rector/McCullough."
That's the place I was thinking!!...behind North Star Mall.
Last time I visited SA for a couple of days was in '06,...drove past Central Park Mall and I saw it was fenced.
What happened to it??

[/quote]

Central Park was leveled and it's now called Park North. Sears is the only holdover from Central Park. I sure hope they rebuild the Sears building, since it now really shows its age next to the ultra modern new shops. There's a discussion within this Forum with more details about the tenants. Click on the link below:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...rth-plaza.html

Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
I just wanted to say that I had lunch at The Sandwich Garden yesterday and it hasn't changed a bit. Everything is exactly the same as I remember it over thirty years ago. The owner's name is David and he still takes your order. He is grey now but other than that he hasn't changed. The menu is the same and the food is just as good as I remembered it. They are closed on weekends

Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,751 times
Default it's that worst show guy again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hi Dave!

Glad to hear you are doing well and still doing the show. Do you remember eating at a place a few years back called "The Leon Springs Cafe?"
I could have sworn that was you I cooked for back in the early '90's.
Didn't ya'll use to hold jam sessions? I remember it looking like it was in the country.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Later,

crazedchef
Yes indeed, you guys had KILLER food there - right down the street from the chiropractor I was seeing, went to the Leon Spgs Cafe almost daily! We had jam sessions here & there - the one you saw on teevee was behind our house in Kerrville - 3 miles away from ANYTHING, and it was STILL so loud the cops came out! Proudest moment of my life. Course, now I can't hear anything...
Thx for writing - NEW episodes on Thu & Sat midnite, T/W digital box ch 20. Just turned in #566.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM

237 posts, read 851,429 times
John L's cafe was owned and operated for over 50 years by a husband and wife team named John and Dora Leung. They are featured in two books I've written, Chinese Heart of Texas; San Antonio's Chinese Community 1875-1975 and the newest is San Antonio; Then, Now & Always both with fotos of John and Dora in the restaurant. John passed away some years ago but Dora is still around and as always is a huge Spurs fan/season ticket holder. She made all the great pies they offered at John L's and will be glad to learn that you mentioned their fine cafe here. She finally closed the place in 2005 and it is truly missed a lot by many loyal customers.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 20,536 times
Hi guys,

Does anyone remember the name of the disco club that was behind San Francisco Steak House in the early 70's..... Also, the Warehouse club, I think on Braniff near the SA Airport? The Quarter House on Main Street by SAC. Had foosball, wine, beer and popcorn......Fun safe places to hang out in another time.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 AM

54 posts, read 131,615 times
JUAN45..

APPRECIATE THE PHOTO OF JOSKE'S! (and St. Joskes!) Some good friends of mine use to do the Christmas display on one of the upper floors. They had mechcanical elves, Santa, etc. Can't remember what it was called, but it was a big deal and parents would take their kids there to see Santa.

I would stop by after work (WOAI radio was still downtown in '75) and we'd put beer out on the ledge to keep it cold! Remember how cold it use to get?! :O) Anyway, thanks for the pic! Johnny (Juanito63!)

Also, does anyone remember J. Alfred Prufrock's at St. Mary's and Mulberry? Boy, we had some high old times there in the '70's! Seem to remember a stand alone stove for heat in the place as well.

Last edited by spicemeister; 02-21-2009 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: add J. Alfred

Old 02-21-2009, 08:37 AM

181 posts, read 642,979 times
What page are those pics on? I haven't seen a Joskes pic in forever. So many young people today haven't even heard of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio