Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,105 times

Advertisements

I read then entires about the Midget Mansion, very interesting. I also often wondered what the story was about such a great looking mansion. I also have memories of seeing it when I was growing up in that area of San Antonio, TX. It's a sad tragic story.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 PM

181 posts, read 642,770 times
Just got back to Houston from SA a few hours ago. I always enjoy crusing down Walzem and seeing what things have or haven't changed. Also spent a few hours at North Star Mall, almost like old times. Glad to see the Luby's looks about the same as it did in 1987! But every time I walk by the food court I think about that "elves making cinnamon twists" place. Man I would kill to have a photo of that place. Someone MUST have one!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,516 times
Default Never too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by texxmatty View Post
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been away from this thread for awhile. Yes indeed those were the good old days! I have very fond memories of those times and of Mrs. Swann. I'm so happy to see from your previous post that she's doing well...she was a tough cookie back in the day!
I am trying to get former cygnets info to have a history log. If you are interested we have a group on facebook called cygnets of san antonio of any era. Please look it up and join. There will be a national meet here in March at the Josh Davis pool. It is the collegiate nationals. We are trying to get everyone we can to come see the meet.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
The bowling alley I went to the most was probably the Sports Palace at 410/McCullough (southeast corner, next to Kiddie City). It also had a skating rink in back. It had arcade games and other coin operated games too.

Kiddie City also used to have a Kiddie Rodeo event for kids. I think they rode Big Wheels or little bicycles, I can't remember which.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,344 times
Default 410 & Blanco

Let us bow our heads this morning. The little shopping center that housed the old James Avery and Baskin Robbin's for decades....was completely leveled yesterday. All that remains is a pile of rubble. And for what you ask....a Capital One bank branch.

Can anyone else recall what was in that shopping center back in it's heyday in the 70's and 80s? I think there was a small night club/bar in the very corner...I remember all these white globe lights at the entrance.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I can only remember Baskin Robbins and James Avery.

But I do remember the corner across Blanco. It used to be Whopper Burger, and in the block just north of that (where the strip center is now) were two little houses. Residences, yes, on Blanco.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
"Can anyone else recall what was in that shopping center back in it's heyday in the 70's and 80s? I think there was a small night club/bar in the very corner...I remember all these white globe lights at the entrance."
Hmmmm....if it's the same one I'm thinking....wasn't it "MARTINI'S"??

Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,350 times
Default Gone but not forgotten in SA...

I just realized I have not contributed properly to this post....my apologies.
I arrived in SA for my Basic Military Training at Lackland AFB, October of 1977...returned in '81 (Kelly AFB - RIP +) and I remember the Old Valley High Mall where I bought a brand new tv set, HEB accesible from the Mall, Sky Harbor sub division back then was the place to buy a home, I remember this sign on Military Drive (right before Security Hill) that read San Antonio - population 500,000...by the time I left (1996) population was over 1 million, Marbach Road was a 2 lane street past Hunt Lane, North West Heritage was just beggining to go up and when it rained in that sector, you had mud for days; there was a food court right by the Old Immigration Bldg. and the Tower downtown, Central Park Mall...they had a couple of clubs, one downstairs (country) and a regular disco at the Mall's main entrance (Abracadabra?, Broad Street?),..kRAMER'S disco was located right by Winsor Park Mall (RIP - +), then moved to Perrin Beitel where there was a Japanese/Korean restaurant/club (YOSHI'S), I remember the Pope's visit ('86?)...they had closed access to the Heritage neighborhood..where I used to live...aahh..memories.
For now,..it's what comes to mind.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 PM

8 posts, read 42,796 times
I'm researching old amusement parks here in San Antonio, but have not had any luck finding info on the 'net so far.
I'm 59 and grew up just south of the downtown area. There used to be an old amusement park across the street from the old Mission Stadium at Mitchell and Mission Rds. There was also a Catholic Seminary at that intersection.
The amusement park was adjacent to a small baseball field on the NW corner across from Mission Stadium. It was abandoned in the late 50's, as I remember playing there with other kids. Everything was left in place and literally abandoned. The rides were left intact and they just rusted away over time.
I think it was called Riverside or Riverview park. Anyone remember this place?
Thanks!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizlampe View Post
I am trying to get former cygnets info to have a history log. If you are interested we have a group on facebook called cygnets of san antonio of any era. Please look it up and join. There will be a national meet here in March at the Josh Davis pool. It is the collegiate nationals. We are trying to get everyone we can to come see the meet.

Good luck with your endeavor. I spent a LOT of time in that pool in the summer ...and in the winter when it was enclosed. I wasn't a cygnet...but knew the family well. I'm sure Mrs Swan and the rest of the family would be happy to know of the cygnets gathering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio