Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,313 times

Advertisements

I remember the Worst Show. I went to school with the younger guy Brooks Robinson. I'll try to find him on Classmates.com. The older guy - David Leit??? had some kind of health problems lost a lot of weight and then somebody kidnapped his dog. I don't know if the dog was ever returned or if he survived his health problems. The show was really risque, but boy did I learn a lot about subliminal messages from that guy -remember the Joe Kool ads he showed one evening -fascinating.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:48 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I remember the Worst Show. I would love to see some of those shows again. It was like three sort of nerdy guys doing skits and stuff.

Another one was called Doppelganger, two long haired heavy metal guys doing skits and films. They filmed stuff around the UTSA campus. I remember one time there was a rock group in a recording studio and they used the UTSA piano rooms, small rooms with big glass wall panel/windows to the outer hall. Pretty creative because it looked like a studio from the inside.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:56 PM

351 posts, read 1,585,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellezuniga View Post
I remember the Worst Show. I went to school with the younger guy Brooks Robinson. I'll try to find him on Classmates.com. The older guy - David Leit??? had some kind of health problems lost a lot of weight and then somebody kidnapped his dog. I don't know if the dog was ever returned or if he survived his health problems. The show was really risque, but boy did I learn a lot about subliminal messages from that guy -remember the Joe Kool ads he showed one evening -fascinating.

I remember that guy Dave Lietz was on the Montel Williams show. It was hilarious.

That show was stupid fun.

Michelle, did you go to Clark H.S.?

I saw on one of your other post you are the same age as me and your name rings a bell.

Tried to PM you but had no luck.

Later

crazedchef

Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 AM

21 posts, read 104,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtieskid View Post
The most recent painful loss for me has to be Scrivener's, what a neat place that was.
I hear ya. HOURS of my childhood were spent in Scrivener's, where I poked about while my mom picked out hardware for one of the countless remodeling projects she was working on. For a store that didn't carry a single item targeted at kids, it was a very cool place.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Anyone here old enough to remember Marios and Ninfa's?
I remember both. I remember when Ninfa's was built, as we were living near Wurzbach & I-10 at the time. We went there a few times; the food was excellent!

I have to say my all-time favorite Mexican restaurant in San Antonio was La Fuente in North Star Mall. I was so sorry to see it go. Now my favorite is La Tortillita on FM78.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I remember the Worst Show. I would love to see some of those shows again. It was like three sort of nerdy guys doing skits and stuff.

Yeah, we did nerdy stuff, all right, but as long as you got a laugh, that's all that really mattered, y'know?
And! As of RIGHT NOW, The Worst Show is on twice a week. Thursdays & Saturdays at Midnight, DIGITAL channel 20. Oh, and the previous post will describe just how YOU can end up with DVD(s) of your favorite TWShow junk... :-)

Take care!
dave

Old 05-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Catching up

I'm still catching up, so will condense the rest of my comments into one entry:

I just asked my stepdad, who is in his 80s, the name of that barn-like C&W dance hall at Pat Booker and I-35. It was The Roundup. (Round Up?) He moved here in the late '40s and it was already there, so it was pretty old. He added that it was across the highway from Boysville.

I used to go to Lyndy's on Fredericksburg Rd. with friends after work. Nice place. There was also a little take out place at the corner of Fred Rd. and Medical in the early '80s called Naugle's. It was sort of a Mexican-restaurant-meets-Dairy Queen type of place. All I remember were their delicious taco salads -- to this day, the best I've ever had. Every time I think about that place, I think of the cashier (manager?), who had this l-o-n-g copper-painted pinkie nail. Funny the little things you remember.

First Mate was a favorite. Their prices were great, too. I remember they had really big, restaurant-style oysters that you wouldn't expect from a fast food place.

I wish I could think of the name of fish place that was in a free-standing building in the parking lot of the Colonies North Mall parking lot in the '80s. Really good (and cheap!) fish and shrimp.

We used to shop at the Albertson's at West & Blanco all the time. When it was first built, we were ecstatic because it was so convenient (and seemed so huge). My friend lived in one of the apartment complexes across the street and we walked over just about every day for snacks and goodies. I bought a watch, of all things, at the counter up front. Their prices were great.

Forgive me if I've already asked this, but who remembers The Jam Factory downtown? We went there one night in 1970 after a ZZ Top concert -- they were third billed, after The Guess Who and someone else.. haha; this was in the early days of their career, obviously -- and wound up sitting next to them. Nice bunch of guys. Gene Coleman, a local drummer, used to head up a band that played there a lot.

Didn't they turn the Smuggler's Inn on 410 into a Bombay Bicycle Club?

I'm SO glad someone mentioned those Doppelganger guys! OMG, they were so funny! Their karate skits just had me rolling, with the lip synching out of whack and all. I taped a couple of their shows, but never labeled the tape. Maybe one day I'll luck upon it.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 AM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Anyone remember the Globe store on SW Military? Grocery on one side and department store on the other? They had a roller system to roll your groceries outside and you drove up with a number to claim them. It changed to a Woolco and then Kmart years later.

At the intersection of SW Military and Pleasanton, there was a Harlendale State Bank, Bruners, a Beauty Salon, a robo wash, and some other small businesses I dont recall. They all got replaced with an HEB that soon closed and moved across the street to replace the Sear Store. I also remember Robert Hall's on the south side of the intersection as the second most horrible place to have to shop next to Bruners. My mom could spend months each morning searching through the underwear tables at Bruners and then hours on the rack of clothes at Robert Hall. It could drive a kid insane! Maybe it did, I wont admit anything, nor will I.

We shopped at Globe almost as much as we shopped at the Fed-Mart down the road. Ditto for the Woolco until they built one at the corner of Fair Ave and I-37. Spent many hours in there shopping with my mom. When the Woolco had their big going out of business sale, my dad bought our first color TV -- a 19" RCA.

I didn't realize the old Sears store had closed. We went there almost every week so my dad could check out the tools. I used to hang out in the TV section and watch TV. There was also a Dillards on the other end of the shopping center, as well as a Luby's and I think there was a Hallmark card shop. Across the street, there used to be a Youngbloods's Cafeteria that made the best rolls. mmmmm...melt in your mouth, especially when you added some butter and honey! I think there was a shoe store in the same parking lot, and at one time there was a driver's license bureau or tax office, and I seem to remember a Jack in the Box there, too. Around the corner and down Pleasanton Road, there was an Orange Julius, but I don't know how far back in time that was. All I know is my mom thought they cost too much!

On to the 70's...

Does anyone remember the old Wonderland Fleamarket? I spent many weekends there when my parents went to sell antiques. Some of us other fleamarket kids would join up and go exploring the mall or play PacMan or other video games for 10 cents. Then we'd go up to the Sommer's Drug Store for a cherry coke!

Good memories!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 AM

139 posts, read 504,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
We shopped at Globe almost as much as we shopped at the Fed-Mart down the road. Ditto for the Woolco until they built one at the corner of Fair Ave and I-37. Spent many hours in there shopping with my mom. When the Woolco had their big going out of business sale, my dad bought our first color TV -- a 19" RCA.

I didn't realize the old Sears store had closed. We went there almost every week so my dad could check out the tools. I used to hang out in the TV section and watch TV. There was also a Dillards on the other end of the shopping center, as well as a Luby's and I think there was a Hallmark card shop. Across the street, there used to be a Youngbloods's Cafeteria that made the best rolls. mmmmm...melt in your mouth, especially when you added some butter and honey! I think there was a shoe store in the same parking lot, and at one time there was a driver's license bureau or tax office, and I seem to remember a Jack in the Box there, too. Around the corner and down Pleasanton Road, there was an Orange Julius, but I don't know how far back in time that was. All I know is my mom thought they cost too much!

On to the 70's...

Does anyone remember the old Wonderland Fleamarket? I spent many weekends there when my parents went to sell antiques. Some of us other fleamarket kids would join up and go exploring the mall or play PacMan or other video games for 10 cents. Then we'd go up to the Sommer's Drug Store for a cherry coke!

Good memories!
You know how Globe had those rollers you would put your Groceries on. When I was like 4 or 5 Mom had taken about hour to Shop paid and we moved our car around to pick up our groceries. Some one pulled up and put all our bags in the car. I remember my Mom yelling and I saw the tell end of the car taking off. The manager came out and said he was very sorry. She had the receipt. He told us just to go back and get what ever we wanted up to that amount. My Mom was real mad cause she had to do the shopping again.

You said Wonderland Flea Market. Was it called Northwest Fleamarket. I went there Quite a few times. Ahh yes the Sears and Dillards Strip Center. My Mom Thought the Quality of that Lubbys wasn't very good. Even though we lived three miles from that one. We would always go to MCcreles instead.

Someone Mentioned Christes Seafood. That was real good. There homade Tartar , Thousand Island and another That slips my mind, was the best. The gold fish at the front were real cool.

Anyone been to the Little Red Barn lately. My Wife went there , The last time she was in town. Said it had changed back to the Original Steaks and was very good.

Does anyone have any pictures of FirstMate. I would love to have one. I have some Archive Pictures of Movie theaters and such from SA, I would trade.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
You know how Globe had those rollers you would put your Groceries on. When I was like 4 or 5 Mom had taken about hour to Shop paid and we moved our car around to pick up our groceries. Some one pulled up and put all our bags in the car. I remember my Mom yelling and I saw the tell end of the car taking off. The manager came out and said he was very sorry. She had the receipt. He told us just to go back and get what ever we wanted up to that amount. My Mom was real mad cause she had to do the shopping again.
My sister and I got in trouble for putting our little brother in one of those carts and sending him outside. Ahhh, those were the days. (I was the oldest at 6yrs, little brother youngest at 2yrs old)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio