Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM

44 posts, read 192,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post

...I remeber looking at the yearbook and my friend said "My dad said he was the best player on the team", and he was pointing to McVea. The yearbook had individual photos of them in football poses like on the old trading cards. I also remember him saying his dad said he was having problems, this was awhile back (1990). This game could be one of those Disney movies. He must have been one hell of an athlete....73 scholarships. Thats amazing for todays standards.
Remember, in those days (1964), the old Southwest Conference schools (and much of the south) were still segregated in athletics. African Americans weren't offered scholarships to major southern schools until '66 at the earliest. For example, Julius Whittier, Highlands grad, was the first African American offered a football scholarship at Texas, and that was in '69.

Imagine how many offers McVea would have had 2-3 years later...

I never saw him in person, just heard about him. Anyone that was 10 years of age or older in SA in '63 has heard of Warren McVea and Linus Baer.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Olds,

I don't know much about Renfro's murder at all. WAAAAY before my time. I know that it was at a pool somewhere, which goes along with what mudpuddle heard. The '63 time frame sounds right, also. I will ask one of my older siblings for details and post if appropriate.

Mud,

McVea is in Houston now. Works for a Hot Shot type delivery service. I think he's doing much better. I believe there was an article in '03 that featured him and Linus Baer. Also, if memory serves, they were both inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame within the last year or so.

Brian, yeah the article in 03, I've read it,
Probably have it on my harddrive somewhere.

I believe it was in 02, a local TV station replayed the game.

the Texas Sports Hall of Fame -

I believe this is Gary DeLaune's memory of his evening there,
and his introduction of Baer and McVea -
(this is from DeLaune's blog)

Now, on another subject. November 29th marks the 44th anniversary of "The Game",
the Brackenridge-Lee game of 1963 when more than 25,000 fans
jammed the old rock yard to see two legends race across the sports pages of history.

Linus Baer and Warren McVea staged a performance that no Hollywood version of "Friday Night Lights' could equal.
The Dallas Morning News named it "The Greatest Texas HIgh School Game of the 20th Century".

A week after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy the nation was still shocked and in mourning,
yet on the 28th, thousands of fans ringed Alamo Gym to buy tickets for the game.

The city needed that game the same way a wound needs a healing salve.

Final score: Lee 55, Brackenridge 48.
No punts, unbelievable performances and a crowd so emotionally drained from watching the two legends,
they lingered in the stands shaking their heads at what they had just witnessed.

David Flores wrote about the game on November 20th
and the appearance of Baer and McVea at the San Antonio Quarterback Club
where a jam packed audience sat mesmerized at the tales of the fabled contest.
Coach Bill Yeoman was also there and he told about McVea's college career
and his later problems in life that cost Warren two prison sentences.

But for two hours it was a magical voyage into the pigskin past
and oh how the entranced club members enjoyed it.

As my last privilege as president of the organization, it was an honor to introduce the guests.
I share with you my intro and I'm just sorry you couldn't be there
to enjoy the trip into football history.

"The night was cold..a jam packed crowd,
The atmosphere exciting, extremely loud,
Our nation mourned President JFK,
But everyone still wanted them to play,
It was already named game of the year,
Something had to wipe away the tear,
So those two schools, separate sides of town,
Knew it meant more than just a touchdown,
It was healing a wound that cut so deep,
Sadness and grief, no one could sleep,
But a group of kids too young to vote,
Became high school heroes, let history note,
They were writing a story for gridiron lore,
Everyone would remember the final score,
Two teenagers with talent and speed
Great players who could also lead,
The old rock yard was scene of action,
Yet there seemed to be another faction,
Would the game create some dissension,
Before kick off there seemed to be tension,
But when the pigskin sailed through the air,
Winning the game was the only care,
And did those teams play that November night,
The scoreboard continued to beam so bright,
Legends were born..an Eagle and a Volunteer,
So many times the crowd would cheer,
Thousands of fans can relate the story,
Oh yes...those guys wrote the paths of glory,
Scrapbooks were filled with notes of the game,
A fantastic contest for the hall of fame,
That's why it's an honor for me to say,
Let's welcome Linus Baer and Warren McVea."

Old 02-05-2008, 05:48 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Anyone remember Fujiya at the corner of Zarzamora and Fredrricksburg back in the late 70's early 80's?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post

Anyone remember Fujiya at the corner of Zarzamora and Fredrricksburg
back in the late 70's early 80's?

I do Will.

One night my girlfriend and I went in there for dinner.
Her brother's wife came along because brother/hubby was out of town.

Walked in, and there he was.
Sitting on the floor in his socks,
Having dinner with his girlfriend.

Needless to say, quite a scene.

Thanks for reminding me.
I had forgotten this one. It was great.

mud

Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,316,774 times
I don't remember Fujiya at Zarzamora and Fred location? I remember it being across the street from Crossroads. Am I hallucinating? I don't think so. I loved that place... especially the little sushi bar in the corner that seated about 6 or 8 people. I liked the more traditional Japanese atmosphere. Does anybody remember the sushi chef (David)... he was great! He is working in Port A at Beulah's sushi bar on the dock/pier. This was in the late 80's and early 90's so maybe they moved from the Zarzamora location.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 PM

i would say they moved from Zarzamora around 1984 or 85, correct me if i wrong but on fred road did they move into the old Shakey's?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:41 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Default Fujiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
i would say they moved from Zarzamora around 1984 or 85, correct me if i wrong but on fred road did they move into the old Shakey's?
Are we talking abou the same Fujiya that is currently locaed on Wurzbach (between Gardendale and IH-10)?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Are we talking abou the same Fujiya that is currently locaed on Wurzbach (between Gardendale and IH-10)?
Yes they had 2 previous locations before the move to Wurzbach.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM

22 posts, read 72,898 times
Default Manhattan Restaurant

When we'd go to a movie at the Majestic, we'd all go to eat at the Manhattan Cafe, a few doors east on Houston Street. There was a tall red-headed hostess at the entrance who would seat you. I'd always order a hamburger, they were really tasty.
Speaking of the Austin Hwy, I used to cruise the hi-way in the 50's from Bun 'N Barrell down to the Frontier. There you could get a chili cheeseburger wrapped tight to keep the chili from dripping down your arms.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 PM

22 posts, read 72,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I remember the Christmas Display downtown with the little girl playing the piano. Was that at Frost Bros or Wolf and Marx?

Who remembers Fantasyland at Joske's? I loved to go there and see all the little animated displays and ride the train. Remember Santa on the rooftop?

Playland Park was fun -- I used to love to ride the carousel. I remember when they dismantled it and sold of the horses. If I'd had the money back then, I would have bought one. I thought I read in the paper a few years ago that they were trying to restore it.

The Zoo, Brackenridge Park, the Brackenridge Eagle and the Sunken Gardens are all still there. They closed the stables and shut down the horse back riding a few years ago. The skyride is also shut down, has been for many years.

Anyone remember 12 Star Final and the opening film footage with the cars crashing? Or the revolving boards that the weathermen used to use? I remember one would always draw a cartoon at the end of his segment. And who could forget Cap't Gus!
As a toddler, I was scared to death that the girl playing the organ at Frost's downtown would turn around and give me a scary face.
Now I understand mygranddaughter's fear of Santa Claus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio