Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latteluv View Post
My mom is on my case all the time saying I'm too overprotective with my kids, Yes I am and with good reason. She gets upset because when we go to Walmart I won't let my kids go to the toy section alone while I shop.
Oh, my goodness, your mother is SO wrong on this one! Good for you for standing your ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 03:44 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,873 times
When will people realize that the world we live in is not what it used to be? I cannot, for the life of me, understand how someone could justify leaving their kids (let's say 13 and below) in a store where there is extremely limited line of sight (if any at all) once you go around the corner into the next aisle.

Ask your mom this question and see what she has to say:

Would you feel comfortable leaving your wallet (with money, credit cards, driver's license, and social security card) in the toys section while you check out some new item a few aisles away? I think the answer to that question would be an obvious no.

--Dim

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 PM

36 posts, read 97,308 times
My mother thinks the world is like it used to be in the 50's and 60's. She doesn't watch TV and she doesn't like reading the paper, so she's clueless to what's going on. I think it's ignorant of her to think it's okay to let my 5 year old and my 6 year old nephew to stay in toy dept alone. This is why I never let my kids go anywhere with her. It's amazing I survived my childhood.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
Lollollol!!!

I had to tell my kid, in the mid eighties, that there was a "bad witch" in the mall, that would turn all the kids, that ran around & wouldn't stay next to their Mom's, into mannequins! thank you Dillard's, for your display in North Star Mall, in the bottom floor, of the mannequin family!!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:35 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times
Well, at least I know I have gotten the word around about this guy, my oldest son was on the school bus and over heard another kid telling a friend about the incident, he said a police officer came to thier house and told his parents. (the officer that took the report happened to live in the neighborhood)

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,685 times
I have a follow up question for all of you. Yes, I agree that parents need to be ever vigilant about their little ones, but at what age do you start to loosen the cord? You can't be overprotective forever or the kids will never learn how to take care of themselves.
I am lucky enough to live in a rural area where the crime is mostly domestic and/or traffic related. I know all about the pedophiles in the neigborhood (Thank you Megan's Law and the Internet!) and my kids are now 13 and 16. I feel safe letting them go all over town (walking distance) under two conditions; they stay together and they always have their cell phones with them. (yes, they have gps on the phones). They know they are not to accept rides from anyone but their parents- no matter what!
Granted, they usually do this in a group with friends, but they also walk to and from school (it's just under a mile) unless snow has made the sidewalks dissappear.

Do I have my head in the sand or am I being resonable? (btw, the 13 yo is a girl, the 16 yo is a boy)

Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 PM

413 posts, read 1,404,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
I have a follow up question for all of you. Yes, I agree that parents need to be ever vigilant about their little ones, but at what age do you start to loosen the cord? You can't be overprotective forever or the kids will never learn how to take care of themselves.
I am lucky enough to live in a rural area where the crime is mostly domestic and/or traffic related. I know all about the pedophiles in the neigborhood (Thank you Megan's Law and the Internet!) and my kids are now 13 and 16. I feel safe letting them go all over town (walking distance) under two conditions; they stay together and they always have their cell phones with them. (yes, they have gps on the phones). They know they are not to accept rides from anyone but their parents- no matter what!
Granted, they usually do this in a group with friends, but they also walk to and from school (it's just under a mile) unless snow has made the sidewalks dissappear.

Do I have my head in the sand or am I being resonable? (btw, the 13 yo is a girl, the 16 yo is a boy)
This is how my mother raised me except we didn't' have cell phones with gps on them. I actually got more rights when I was 14, but I was the oldest. I think you're right in the middle of the spectrum.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:46 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Hello all, I just wanted to spread the word about an incident that happend to us today.We live in the Amhurst subdv off of Potranco. Today my son who is 5yrs old was walking the dog, by himself (yes I was watching from the window) he is allowed to go to the mailbox which is less than a block and I am always watching, today I went to the fridge to grab a bottled water and turned back to look at him-- there was a white pickup truck stopped next to him with the door open and my son was slowly walking towards him!!! I ran out the front door and yelled HEY! The man slammed the door and took off!! I am sure that I will get all kinds of remarks about letting him walk the dog alone- please save your energy and get the point- this man is still out there. I am trying to teach my kids to be responsible for the dog they wanted, by having them walk her and pick up the poop- I am always watching though, and yes today I got a little lax and learned my lesson.
My son says that the man asked him what the dogs name was and then acted like he could not hear him so my son would have to come closer... I just want everyone to know and look out- if he didn't get my kid- he will look for another. All I got is it is a white older model pick up truck 2 door, hispanic heavy set man.
Good to know I'll be watching like a hawk!!! I live just around the corner. but I just cant let it go without giving you a slap on the wrist so here it goes!: Next time watch your kid from your frontyard or porch, you got lucky thank god. but maybe if you were in the yard you would of gotten a glance on his License plate. ohh well maybe next time. I'll be shure to keep MR Remington by the front door, next time I see a white truck with a Fat ass hispanic on it I'll be shure to follow.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Good to know I'll be watching like a hawk!!! I live just around the corner. but I just cant let it go without giving you a slap on the wrist so here it goes!: Next time watch your kid from your frontyard or porch, you got lucky thank god. but maybe if you were in the yard you would of gotten a glance on his License plate. ohh well maybe next time. I'll be shure to keep MR Remington by the front door, next time I see a white truck with a Fat ass hispanic on it I'll be shure to follow.
Well, I just cant let it go without telling you that I dont need your slap on the wrist- maybe you should read the original post again.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:26 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Well, I just cant let it go without telling you that I dont need your slap on the wrist- maybe you should read the original post again.

Okay no need to get fiesty man, water under the bridge. Now We have one common target... That fatt latino that could be a pedophile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio