Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I just wanted to spread the word about an incident that happend to us today.We live in the Amhurst subdv off of Potranco. Today my son who is 5yrs old was walking the dog, by himself (yes I was watching from the window) he is allowed to go to the mailbox which is less than a block and I am always watching, today I went to the fridge to grab a bottled water and turned back to look at him-- there was a white pickup truck stopped next to him with the door open and my son was slowly walking towards him!!! I ran out the front door and yelled HEY! The man slammed the door and took off!! I am sure that I will get all kinds of remarks about letting him walk the dog alone- please save your energy and get the point- this man is still out there. I am trying to teach my kids to be responsible for the dog they wanted, by having them walk her and pick up the poop- I am always watching though, and yes today I got a little lax and learned my lesson.
My son says that the man asked him what the dogs name was and then acted like he could not hear him so my son would have to come closer... I just want everyone to know and look out- if he didn't get my kid- he will look for another. All I got is it is a white older model pick up truck 2 door, hispanic heavy set man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Wow! Scary stuff! Fortunately, you turned around in time to see what was going on. I hope someone catches up to this guy fast!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,685 times
Report this to the police and neighborhood watch if you have one!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
You need to let the school nearby know as well. That way they will send a notice home to parents!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
A very similar thing happened to me when my oldest son was about the same age, but it was in New Braunfels.

He and the neighbor boy were playing in the front yard, and I could see them completely from the living room window. Just like you, I turned around to do some little thing, looked back out and there was a van out there in front of my house, pulled up right where they were playing!

My son ran away (introvert like his mama, lol), towards the house, but the neighbor boy went closer to the van!! I ran out the front door and like in your case, the guy took off. The neighbor boy said he was asking him for directions and calling him closer.

A few days later a person in a similar vehicle was reported trying to coax a little girl towards him, asking about a lost dog. The girl was riding her bike and she took off and he followed her for a bit until she cut through someone's back yard! Very very scary.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
That is very frightening!!! It is such a scary world we live in nowadays that sometimes you don't know how to approach this situation with your children because you don't want them to be afraid of everything and everybody. I was a hawk and watched my son very closely. He got to an age where he wanted a little independence and wanted to walk to the park on his own (can't remember how old he was) I remember that I followed him and hid behind the trees so he couldn't see me... no harm came to him. Also I regret letting him play at the neighbors house because the Father had a collection of x-rated magazines that they would sneak a look at... he only told me this many years later. You cannot trust your children with too many people. I think the best thing to do is talk to your children and provide them with appropriate reading material on the subject AND WATCH THEM LIKE HAWKS. There are alot of preditors out there.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times
we did report it and the officer came to the house and spoke with us, I think him being here made a difference and and impact on my kids

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
Glad you caught him in time.
A heads up and I believe middle schools are spreading the word, but these shady people are targeting kids not with the usual "candy or puppy" but "Hey can you help me find my ipod" type approach. Appealing to the kids with technology these days I guess.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM

90 posts, read 354,878 times
So glad your boy is ok!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Sounds like they need to update that popular Stranger Safety DVD hosted by John Walsh. My children would be totally suspicious of someone talking about a lost puppy but until I just read mamatotex97's post and told them about it, they might have fallen for the lost iPod line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio