Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Does anyone remember Conan's Pizza? I'm not sure, but I think it was off of 410 over by where the dollar theatre is...

That place had some gigantic pizza pies and was always packed. This was back in the early 80s.
HILL you are right it was at 410 in the shopping cemter with Party City, and if i recall it was next door to PC. Good news there are still some locations in Austin and they taste the same check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 PM

113 posts, read 446,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
33 was EDison.
Oh you're right thanks!

I also remember when mom would leave the empty glass milk bottles on the front porch for the milkman to replace (one white milk and one chocolate) the next morning. Oh the memories of a simpler time!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
HILL you are right it was at 410 in the shopping cemter with Party City, and if i recall it was next door to PC. Good news there are still some locations in Austin and they taste the same check them out.
Thanks, Willsatx, I just googled and saw it. It was a little expensive back then, and it looks like it still is. I'll definitely visit a store next time I'm up that way. Good stuff.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Question Denver Heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
Our first number was also a LE (lee-high?) number from the Denver Heights area.
Did you attend Poe and if so when? I lived on Cooper St. just off New Braunfels so Poe was only a half block away.
Another telephone memory worth sharing was that of the party-line. I lived out past Martinez on St. Hedwig Road for a couple years from Sept. 1972 thru June of '74. To keep costs down I subscribed to a four party line each one with a certain ring. All four home's telephone rang simultaneously but you only picked up on your ring which was two shorts and a long for me. I left the area that summer of '74 to get married then later settled here in Austin. I have no idea how much longer party-lines remained in operation in Bexar County or elsewhere but would like to know if anyone out there can say.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
Did you attend Poe and if so when? I lived on Cooper St. just off New Braunfels so Poe was only a half block away.
Another telephone memory worth sharing was that of the party-line. I lived out past Martinez on St. Hedwig Road for a couple years from Sept. 1972 thru June of '74. To keep costs down I subscribed to a four party line each one with a certain ring. All four home's telephone rang simultaneously but you only picked up on your ring which was two shorts and a long for me. I left the area that summer of '74 to get married then later settled here in Austin. I have no idea how much longer party-lines remained in operation in Bexar County or elsewhere but would like to know if anyone out there can say.
I'll pm you.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Well you don't accept pms (rather dm's) so I'll tell you that I grew up in very close to your area and went to St.Gerards elementary and high schools. we also had a party line and it was fun to pick up the phone to make a call only to hear someone else's conversation till they said "hey, is someone on the line?" then hang up. I'm not sure how long they stayed in service.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
33 was EDison.
Edison exchange was mostly the areas of Highland Hills, Pecan Valley, Hot Wells. LeHigh was mostly Highland Park, Denver Heights, McCreless area. Of course, there were some exceptions.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Hernandez,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhernandez56 View Post
Hey ,BUD
What Year Did You Graduated from Highland ?
I was at highlands from 66' to 68'.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
I was there from 68-70.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Hilltop?

Hell I used to hanga around the Hilltop at the corner of
Oak Hill Rd and Culebra, a beautiful view.
Old wood building, wood floors, floor coolers and benches out front.
Straight across from S.W.R.I. entrance. It wasa wonderful throwback to the early 20 th century. Loved the atmophere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
I realize that the discussion has moved on but hope y'all won't mind if I chime in regarding hill top joints. Another really well known place was the old Silver Spur atop the bluff, above the Medina River overlooking Bandera way back when. Like others mentioned earlier it was a roadhouse/nightclub with cottages for those honky-tonkers wanting to crash on site. The Silver Spur burned down in the mid 1960s but some ruins remain. Hill Top mentioned before out near Camp Bullis was still being used as cheap housing into the early 1970s if memory serves. I was there only once when a cousin lived in one old rock cottage about 1972 or so.
The Silver Spur was also famous for the many top name bands that played there over the years and was especially busy during WW II. It became the unofficial home to hundreds of Air Cadets cycling through Kelly and Brooks Fields back then. There's a high dollar B&B there now using the same name and capitalizing on the history of the original but with nothing in common other than location. Here's a small view of what remains of the first Silver Spur beer joint/dance hall above Bandera. I have faint recall of it back when my grandparents had a place near Bandera. My mom & dad loved to have a few beers and dance back when dragging kids along to beer joint/dance halls was still ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio