Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
GW Jr's was owned by Church's

Remember 3 Bears Hamburgers? Believe they were owned by the McCreless family

First Mate? Owned by Ray Ellison, I believe...or maybe a partner/investor

There was also 2-3 burger places started by the family that owns Little Red Barn...Can't think of the name of it, but their claim to fame(albeit short lived) was that they served steakburgers..
I remember a Hamburger Joint that was called " Little Red Barn" or something like that. It was a round building with a patio if I remember right and it was located at the corner of Bandera and 410 when the Flea Market was there before they built the Target. I remember 3 Bears Hamburgers on SW military. The building is still there. It was a Ci Ci's Pizza for awhile. I think 3 bears had a build your own burger bar kinda like Fudruckers does now only not as big a deal. The Crystal Pistol had the same thing except the Burgers were only a dollar!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 PM

136 posts, read 331,935 times
Best hamburgers on the planet are the Five Guys stores. Franchised all over the East coast, and now expanding. I'm coming down to SA in February to visit my Mom and noticed there is one in San Antonio now at 280 E. Basse Rd. Regular burger is two patties and a long list of free add-ons. Great fries, too ! Worth a taste.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post

I remember a Hamburger Joint that was called " Little Red Barn" or something like that.
It was a round building with a patio if I remember right
and it was located at the corner of Bandera and 410

I remember 3 Bears Hamburgers on SW military.

The Crystal Pistol had the same thing except the Burgers were only a dollar!
Dwangle,
my 1976 Polk's City Directory lists a Little Red Barn Steak House at 1836 S Hackberry,

and a Little Red Barn #12 at 5719 Bandera Rd.

Both owned by Ralph Hernandez.

I remember Three Bears Hamburgers on McCullough (in about 1966), a few blocks south of North Star Mall.

If I remember correctly, the burgers were great, at about 15 or 20 cents each.
Same price as a pack of Camels, and probably just about the same nutritional value.

It was about that same time frame when cigarettes went up from 15 to 20 cents a pack.
I clearly remember saying - when they go up to a quarter, I'm quitting........

The Crystal Pistol - that's a whole nuther run of typing.
Anybody remember when Fat Richard tore the phone off the wall??
Which would then lead into a discussion about the Peppermint..................

Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
The Peppermint, went there a few times. forgot all about that place.....

Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,314 times
Sorry to have chimed in so late on this. I had to read the first thread first. Anyone out there born in '71 or close still??? Anyone remember 'Changes' or 'Trippers'?

I ate at GW jr's on the Southside and worked at SPM before it had a 'Macy's'. Mom still lives on Southside and my grandparents lived on the Westside. I have good memories too but I may be too young for you guys.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 PM

By the way, Little Red Barn on Hackberry is still the 'shiznit' for Father's Day.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:39 PM

So, I've been to the 'tracks', went to where the donkey lady lived and it was NOT in Helotes.
My sister went to the migit mansion. I'm the youngest of 5 so I've seen a lot....by the way, also work for an old established law firm that has educated me on many, many places in
S.A. - Their family 'own's' them. yeah...weird, right. Own what you might wonder?
Places in and near s.a. I can't "TALK" about. But wow...I do now a lot.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Went to the Peppermint Lounge many times. They tore it down and put up an Auto parts store. The guy's in the liquor store next to it alway's used to say " From body parts to auto parts!"

Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 AM

139 posts, read 504,498 times
Will be in SA,next Tuesday and Wed. Will be hanging out on the South Side. I will be making a stop at Bud Jones Bill Millers . Will be staying in King Williams right behind The Tower of America one night. Taking a stroll down the River Walk and Down Town area. The next day will be Spending The Day and night with Family and friends and Making a stop by Don Pedro's. Can't wait. Be heading out to Pleasanton Texas for Christmas To Visit My Mom and Dad. Dad and I will be making a trip to the Pleastex. A real old movie theater. First run Movies are $4 for adults and Popcorn is $3 with Refills. Sodas are $2. Dinner will be McBees BBQ. Merry Christmas All. HHW

Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Wasn't Ninfas across the street? It was in a structure that started as a Karem's restaurant, then became a Ninfas, then was torn down to build the Victoria, now KCI, tower?

Where was the Capparelli's? I remember a Fratelli's taking over the space vacated by the Pioneer House.

Here's a picture I posted back in the original GBNFSA:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-northside.jpg
Man I am losing my mind you are right about Ninfa's it was across the street, and it was Fratellls in the strip.

Question GW I drove by the old Karam's on zarzamora and the sign in the pic you have is I think across the street. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio