Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I do, it seems some of the Lister family ran it or moved in when it left. The Listers ran the Auction Barn at Hackberry & Steves. They had the big auction barns at Petaluma and Pleasanton Rd in late 60's and early 70's. Jimmy Lister once ran for a city office I believe. I think one of his sons ran the antique store or moved in after they left.
I don't remember any of the Lister family having shops in that building. It was a two story building with apartments on top and shops below. I recall a large thrift store on the corner, a electrical repair shop and three or four smaller antique/junque stores. The building burned after an apartment fire in the 1990's and then the whole place was condemned.

The auction barn at Hackberry and Steves was Barnes Auction. Did one of the Listers join in with Barnes when they stopped the Pleasanton Rd auction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I don't remember any of the Lister family having shops in that building. It was a two story building with apartments on top and shops below. I recall a large thrift store on the corner, a electrical repair shop and three or four smaller antique/junque stores. The building burned after an apartment fire in the 1990's and then the whole place was condemned.

The auction barn at Hackberry and Steves was Barnes Auction. Did one of the Listers join in with Barnes when they stopped the Pleasanton Rd auction?
Yep, you're right Barnes Auction. Jimmy Lister was actually an auctioneer who owned and ran facility on Pleasanton Rd. I figured he was in as a partner with Barnes but not sure. He did auctioneer there for some time. Might have been the electrical repair or even TV shop owned by a Lister. I'd forgotten the Bldg burned! I just recall him having a shop of some kind in that bldg and an antique/junk store.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 PM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Yep, you're right Barnes Auction. Jimmy Lister was actually an auctioneer who owned and ran facility on Pleasanton Rd. I figured he was in as a partner with Barnes but not sure. He did auctioneer there for some time. Might have been the electrical repair or even TV shop owned by a Lister. I'd forgotten the Bldg burned! I just recall him having a shop of some kind in that bldg and an antique/junk store.
It wasn't the electrical repair shop, that was Mr. Estes. He had a cute dog named Snoopy that used to go to work with him. My mom had the shop next to his. I think the lady on the other side of my mom was named Mary and the lady on the corner was Norma Jean. Then there were two or three other small shops, maybe Lister was in one of them.

The fire devastated the businesses there. I think they ended up condemning the building and most of the stuff in the stores were a total loss, not so much from the fire, but from the water and smoke damage. The fire supposedly started upstairs between my mom's shop and I think Mary's. I have some photos somewhere my dad took of the mess. It was really sad.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
It wasn't the electrical repair shop, that was Mr. Estes. He had a cute dog named Snoopy that used to go to work with him. My mom had the shop next to his. I think the lady on the other side of my mom was named Mary and the lady on the corner was Norma Jean. Then there were two or three other small shops, maybe Lister was in one of them.

The fire devastated the businesses there. I think they ended up condemning the building and most of the stuff in the stores were a total loss, not so much from the fire, but from the water and smoke damage. The fire supposedly started upstairs between my mom's shop and I think Mary's. I have some photos somewhere my dad took of the mess. It was really sad.
I was only familiar in passing it often. I do recall the fire now that you mentioned it. We had buildings like that on S.Flores and Pleasanton Road. Growing up my father had a shop on Flores in a two story building..shop downstairs his helper lived upstairs. Next door an older two story bldg. Chinese people had a business downstairs and lived upstairs. They grew crops behind it. BudB knows of the family and has written books on Chinese life here. Further south on S. Flores a long old bldg. at Southcross. Housed a family Dentist at one end ....apartments above and Slot car track ..pool hall ...JP's Office and other things over the years. Found out with it being fully remodeled and restored it was once called the Harlandale Apts. It is once again named that. I recall many other old two story Bldg's some gone, some still here. Wish I knew the histories of them..

Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 PM

91 posts, read 323,790 times
Default North Star's 50th...

The North Star website has a little more info. Would LOVE to see the photo display...

Happy 50th Birthday North Star! - North Star Mall , San Antonio, Texas (http://www.northstarmall.com/events/happy-50th-birthday-north-star - broken link)

Anyone remember what was placed in the time capsule in 1985? I think there's one copy each of that day's Light and Express as well as a copy of the book, "This Is San Antonio/Asi es San Antonio". Can't remember what else but there are other items. I remember going to see the display of items pulled from the 1960 capsule too. I'd like to hope they still have those for show and tell.

Macgrad89

Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 PM

237 posts, read 851,429 times
Default Martians

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I remember the Highland Theatre in that area. I saw "Bambi" there the first time right before it closed.
Among several others, the scariest movie of my young life was screened at the old Highland Theater. It was titled "Invaders From Mars" about a kid who saw a UFO crash land in the sand pits beyond his backyard during a storm in the wee hours. Nobody believed him naturally meanwhile his dad, a playmate, then others were sucked down into sand funnels in the dunes. That movie still gives me the willies nearly 60 years later so of course I watch my DVD version a couple times a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-martians.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-martians-2.jpg  

Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM

237 posts, read 851,429 times
Default Hertzberg Circus

ps; Going back a week or so to somebody asking about the Hertzberg Circus. Here's a postcard I forgot about that might spark other's memories of it and the old Main Library on Market. Memory tells me that the little coach sat just inside the lobby entrance while the Hertzberg itself was in a room near the stairs visible in the postcard.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-tom-thumb-sapl.jpg  

Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
ps; Going back a week or so to somebody asking about the Hertzberg Circus. Here's a postcard I forgot about that might spark other's memories of it and the old Main Library on Market. Memory tells me that the little coach sat just inside the lobby entrance while the Hertzberg itself was in a room near the stairs visible in the postcard.
The old Tom Thumb carriage. If I recall Hertzberg had an upstairs and a basement. I did work there back in early to mid 90's. I got to go back into the library area which wasn't open to the public. I was curious about the shelving rack system used for books. There were slots in the floor the full length of the shelves. It was like they were made to drop down to another level in the building. Didn't have time to inspect better. I've always been curious what it was for.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Among several others, the scariest movie of my young life was screened at the old Highland Theater. It was titled "Invaders From Mars" about a kid who saw a UFO crash land in the sand pits beyond his backyard during a storm in the wee hours. Nobody believed him naturally meanwhile his dad, a playmate, then others were sucked down into sand funnels in the dunes. That movie still gives me the willies nearly 60 years later so of course I watch my DVD version a couple times a year.
That's one of my early favorite scary movies too. They made a remake of it 10 or 15 years ago i believe. I possibly attended movie or movies at the Highland. I seem to have been to most indoor and drive ins growing up. Hi-Lo, Harlandale etc. I have a CD with a brochure from the 1928 grand opening of the Harlandale Theater which was located on S. Flores just north of Southcross Blvd. That a year before the Majestic's. I attended a movie with family in an old Floresville indoor Theater. This was about 4 years ago. Apparently it opened same year as Harlandale. I spoke to the lady ticket taker she had worked there while attending High School during WWII I think she said. I will post the brochure when I get around to it. Interesting building supplies were from Barrett Lumber... Thurman Barrett (father or son) of well known Barrett Industries.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 AM

64 posts, read 431,196 times
Quote:
Looks like an interesting place and I'm happy to see the old library building saved and restored. So where's the Hertzberg Circus collection now remains in questions?
The Hertzberg collection is now at the Witte Museum, and the elephant that was out front on Market Street has been moved as well:

http://0.tqn.com/d/sanantonio/1/0/E/...eumgallery.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio