Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,370,704 times

Advertisements

[quote=Sweetie Pie;9502068]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Thanks. I've never been there but was the Playpen where the big Florist was for many years just up the hill north of SAC??[/QUOTE]

The Rose Shop???
That's what I was thinking of SweetieP. It's still there Satx!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
How can we forget bonanza? not sure on the spelling. What went wrong with them?
Free candies and ice cream did them in!! GBNF has an ad on their steak prices ...they were doomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
You drank alot back then...right ??????
................maybe..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Otra vase Dave.......
What other way??? Not Culebra trust me !! Do you live here??

Old 06-28-2009, 02:24 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
[quote=Sweetie Pie;9502068]
Quote:
Thanks. I've never been there but was the Playpen where the big Florist was for many years just up the hill north of SAC??[/QUOTE]

The Rose Shop???
That's it!! Used to be a big Billiard place like Tiffany's I thought!!

[quote=wCat;9502490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post

That's what I was thinking of SweetieP. It's still there Satx!!!
Yep the Bldg is !! When we ..er ..I worked for the well to do's they used that florist a lot. BTW , the lawyer's offices across the street in the early 1900's house....neato. The house was originally flat roofed. It has a large atrium room in it's center. Floored with tiny bathroom like tiles. sort of a breezeway around the atrium where many rooms feed off of. Interesting house. There is a clipping from a newspaper write up on the house inside on the wall.

Deep forest I was getting Commerce confused with Culebra!! I completely forgot about Commerce. You could be right I really need to drive over there and get my head straight. Sheesh, I hate getting old...

Last edited by SATX56; 06-28-2009 at 03:35 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Ok answer questions time, I think Fargo's were around till 86 or 87 I might be wrong dont hold me on that.
The 1994 San Antonio phone book still shows four Fargo's locations, plus a fifth number to call for deliveries. The 1995 directory only shows the delivery number.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
How can we forget bonanza? not sure on the spelling. What went wrong with them?
I was wondering the same thing myself a few months ago when I was driving down Fredericksburg road in Balcones Heights. The Bonanza at Fredericksburg & Crossroads Blvd. had been there as far back as I could remember. I ate at that location a number of times when I worked in that area.

The 2004 phone book still shows four Bonanza locations in San Antonio (there were at least a couple more a few years earlier). The 2005 phone book only shows a number for the main office on Blanco Rd. I didn't realize they were gone completely. It seems to me like they quietly disappeared.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:15 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,197,554 times
Quote:
Deep forest I was getting Commerce confused with Culebra!! I completely forgot about Commerce. You could be right I really need to drive over there and get my head straight. Sheesh, I hate getting old...
There was nothing at Commerce & Callaghan at that time....maybe now but not then. All the action was around Culebra-Ingram/ Callaghan area. And yes, the Bonanzas just kinda faded away....no reason ever provided...I still think you mean the Swizzle Stick Lounge. I believe it was run by an AF Sgt and they had their share of shootings/stabbings with that one. I think the cops were glad to see that one go....

Old 06-28-2009, 01:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
Drove up Fredricksburg from Downtown today, and snapped a picture of the VFW Post #2 that once used to be the old Kit Kat Klub, I wanted to go in and see if any of the old famouse interior remained or if there were any pictures on the wall from the old day, but seeing as I was alone, it didn't look too inviting.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-img_0131.jpg  

Old 06-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Funny that some posters here started talking about Bonanza today. As I was driving up Fred road, it brought a lot of old memories of things that used to exist on that road. I tried to remember them as I was driving. Bonanza was definitely one on the list, but so was the original Golden Wok (or at least the one that redates the one on Wurzbach), The Dungeon Comic book store, Jade Fountain. I've attached a picture of a building that I am pretty sure started out in life as an old Arby's like the kind that used to exist behind North Star mall.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-img_0134.jpg  

Old 06-28-2009, 01:31 PM

One thing that impressed my on my drive up was the now so-called Deco District. They've done a really good job revitalizing this area. Most of the houses along Fulton street have been competely restored, they look awesome. If you go Montecello, you see some beatifully restored mansions, too.

I couldn't help be impressed with some of the old architecture that still exists in this area. I've attached three pictures, two of old bus stops, and one of an old building currently restored and in use. Can anybody tell me the origin of this building or what it used to be? It looks pretty interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-img_0133.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-img_0135.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-img_0137.jpg  

Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,841,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
One thing that impressed my on my drive up was the now so-called Deco District. They've done a really good job revitalizing this area. Most of the houses along Fulton street have been competely restored, they look awesome. If you go Montecello, you see some beatifully restored mansions, too.

I couldn't help be impressed with some of the old architecture that still exists in this area. I've attached three pictures, two of old bus stops, and one of an old building currently restored and in use. Can anybody tell me the origin of this building or what it used to be? It looks pretty interesting.
GWhopper: Is that possibly Epps Smokehouse? I'm not exactly sure where you are. You sound like you're in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio