Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 PM

29 posts, read 78,288 times

Advertisements

How do you know it's a Plus? One of the cashiers at the current Bandera/1604 HEB went on and on about it to the woman in line in front of me. The cashier told her that it wasn't going to a Plus but that it was supposed to be the nicest in San Antonio (or one of them) because the are building it per the district manager's wants, such as wider aisles and checkout lanes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,500 times
This store is scheduled to open up March of 2012

Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samomof1 View Post
How do you know it's a Plus? One of the cashiers at the current Bandera/1604 HEB went on and on about it to the woman in line in front of me. The cashier told her that it wasn't going to a Plus but that it was supposed to be the nicest in San Antonio (or one of them) because the are building it per the district manager's wants, such as wider aisles and checkout lanes, etc.
its going to be a plus...I dont work for HEB but Im in the business.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 PM

108 posts, read 241,511 times
Does HEB have some kind of proprietary contract with the city that limits the amount of competitors or is it the fact the no else can compete with HEB. Handy Andy is all but disolved,Kroger,Albertsons, and Super Kmarts all left for greener pastures. A city with a population of 1.5 million people and so few choices is ridiculous. This is usually common in smaller towns but a city the size of San Antoinio that almost as many people as Dallas and Houston.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralou View Post
Does HEB have some kind of proprietary contract with the city that limits the amount of competitors or is it the fact the no else can compete with HEB.
One obstacle mentioned in the newspaper about a month ago is deed restrictions on shopping centers. When HEB moves out of one center for another, they often leave behind deed restrictions that prevent another grocery store from being opened there.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
The sign there says its going to be a Plus

Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralou View Post
Does HEB have some kind of proprietary contract with the city that limits the amount of competitors or is it the fact the no else can compete with HEB. Handy Andy is all but disolved,Kroger,Albertsons, and Super Kmarts all left for greener pastures. A city with a population of 1.5 million people and so few choices is ridiculous. This is usually common in smaller towns but a city the size of San Antoinio that almost as many people as Dallas and Houston.
They do it all with predatory pricing. They have the market so incredibly well covered with such a well entrenched production and distribution. Anyone that would have a snowballs chance would need to make a huge investment in order to compete. HEB can be very agile in their pricing and quickly, if only temporarily, undercut the new competitor. That makes the business case for any potential competitor a non-starter. Unfortunate for us, as we have no real competition. The WalMarts and Targets that sell groceries do so only for the limited staples they provide. To compete head to head with HEB is an untenable business position as they operate as a virtual monopoly. They wield significant political influence, have deep pockets, and a well cultivated business model centered focused on their south Texas monopoly. We, as consumers, suffer the lack of competition. HEB continues to cajole us and tell us they are a bargain, but as number one in a market of one...is their quality and price really the best it can be?

OK, I will turn my soap box over to someone else! The only reason I know this to be true is my dad, now retired, spent his entire career in the retail and wholesale grocery business here in central and south Texas. He lived all of this every day.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Saw a sign saying Spring 2012 opening.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:53 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
I noticed that one of the super-Walmarts now carries Greek Gods yogurt, including the fig flavor I love! Chalking up one point for them on an item HEB has dropped! Going to be going there more often!

Last edited by Lee W.; 08-26-2011 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 01:27 AM

592 posts, read 2,025,123 times
It looks like a very large HEB plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio