Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 05:57 PM

330 posts, read 1,313,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbar3000 View Post
thank you for your answer. I have been waiting for someone to state that it is only their preception of Perris. I mean come on. All cities started out-small. All cities did not become like Riverside (as it is now) overnight.
It's sad how many people have a low outlook on Perris. I

t just goes to show what people value...and what people think of beauty and material things like big big big homes (2-3K square feet) and big big big cars (like SUV's) and big big big pay checks for a family of 3 (like $50K year). I guess I'm one that values family and not looks. Looks mean nothing.
Not everyone has a family or wants one. So, they value other things in life.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM

330 posts, read 1,313,888 times
Question Panhandlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Well I don't know if it's a fluke or what but ... the first time I went there I had a really bad impression of that town. We pulled up to a grocery store and were immediately hassled by panhandlers so ...

Again, maybe it was just a fluke but, I didn't particularly want to go back there again.
Pandhandlers are here too everywhere in the inland LA basin: Whittier, Santa FE Springs, Downey, Pico Rivera, Montebello, La Mirada, etc., and even in OC in La Habra, Fullerton, Buena Park and Anaheim etc.,

Did you know it is illegal to panhandle in LA County? Not since the mid 90's. A man in Downtown LA refused to give a panhandler money and was stabbed to death. Since then, a person cannot come within so many yards of another and ask for money. But, they may hold up a "Will Work For Food" sign. Because they are requesting a business and are not approaching people. Apparently, these people have not caught on and they do it anyway. The police department does not enforce it. They tell them to go away, and they come right back the next day. Police have more emergencies and more serious crimes to respond to. What do you expect within a state of 45 million people? The police department picks their battles with less regard to the safety of its taxpaying citizens. Where don't you see pandhandlers in Southern CA? Maybe La Jolla in San Diego County or Healdsburg in Sonoma County. You may have to leave this state. Go to Coeur d' Alene, ID. I would look into it.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 PM

21 posts, read 68,792 times
I used to live in Murrieta a few years back. I had friends who lived in Perris. Even they thought that Perris was an "armpit" (their terminology- not mine). Each person will come away with an opinion about an area when they visit and not all of them will be favorable. It is just a fact of life that people are different and have varying tastes. If we all had the same opinions and ideas- this sure would be a boring world!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:49 PM

74 posts, read 289,451 times
Smile Perris is going through major changes for those naysayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladedivac View Post
I've driven through Perris countless times,

Good for you! (from me)

both through the city and on the freeway.

Great! Yippie! What do you want me to say? Praise God, more people have drove on the 215 freeway and "saw" the CITY of Perris!! (From me)

Accept the fact that people don't find the city attractive... you're thinking too much.
Well, this is just YOUR OPINION of the city. I see no problem with it and guess what? You are the one thinking that I'm "talking" too much. Your preception of me is crazy, but that's okay. Whatever your preception IS, that IS YOUR REALITY. Remove judgement and you will see the true me. Oh, and just so you know....I haven't been on this site in MONTHS, so who's "talking too much now?"

Oh and just also to let all of the naysayer know.....the city of Perris is going through major changes....but all of you wouldn't KNOW THIS since YOU didn't vouleenter at the City of Perris back in June 2008. I had the time of my life working on the city plans and I'll do it again all FOR FREE!

2010 here comes the Metrolink...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM

74 posts, read 289,451 times
Talking Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-mac View Post
Sandbar I've been were you are right now. I lived in a city called Victorville. I'm sure you've heard of it? Well evertime someone would ask "where do you live?" I'd say Victorville and would get the same look or some stupid comment like where is that or I stopped there once on my way to Vegas and it's pretty bad. Well it would make me angery and I'd try to defend it. We lived in a brand new home in a brand new neighborhood. Our house was big and beautiful, the city has plenty of new businesses like new nice restraunts, and new retail like super Target, Lowes and Costco, but that didn't change the fact the city of Victorville was full of what I'd say is a large percentage of losers. Not a majority I'd add too. Most people that lived there were like me and my wife.........law abiding citizens going to work and trying to pay their bills while trying to raise a family. Unfortantly the minority ruins it for the rest. High crime rates, bad schools, and people who just don't care about their community. Call me a sell out or whatever you want, but we finally threw up our hands and said to ourselves "I give up and you can have this God forsaken city". We are never going to change the minds of those who don't want to improve their lives, but we can move to a community where a larger majority of people have a mind set as ours.

We sold our house and moved to the Temecula area where yes there is still crime and it is not perfect. It is however a much cleaner, safer, and less of an embarassing place to tell people I live. I have no hesitation in telling anyone where we live now. I got sick of defending Victorville. The city officials didn't have any back bone and let the city go to the dogs. Unlike down here where we live now there is a theme to the way any new commercial buildings looks, Victorville didn't care. It's all hodge podge and what ever any commercial developer could do cheapest.

I worked at Stater Bros on 4th St in Perris back in the mid 80's and it sucked then. It doesn't seem like there has been may improvement to the city since except for new city buildings and retail that has been built on the far city's edges. Winco and Home Depot are in the Perris the city limits and you can tell without a duobt by the patrons who shop there.

You,ve two choices....A) Move to a better city B) don't give a darn what people say when you tell them you are from Perris. You will never change the mind of others.

If you want my opinion California as a whole is going to the dogs. Until we crack down on illegal immigration and quit moving paroled criminals out of big cities to the suberbs to improve their crime rates, we will continue to have communities like Perris, Moreno Valley and Victorville.

What a great post! Wow. I am glad to hear that someone is using their brain! I have stopped read (many of these) posts since I can see that many people do not want to do their homework and like to judge (since it is sooo easy to judge someone by their clothes, the city they live in, the car they drive, if they even have a car, and who they associate with...)

All I can say is if someone had a bad expereince while living in Perris, they attracted it to themselves. Like attracts like. If I'm thinking about crime, I'm going to get it! I don't think about it, and I don't get it. I've been focusing on one thing since 2002 and that has been getting my B.S in Business. I earned my A.S in Business in 2006. I transfered to UofR in 2006 and now...I can see the end (beginning) in site. 9 months, I will be graduating from University of Redlands School of Business....and this is what I am focusing on. Not crime. Not poor people. I'm not focusing on the "bad' job market. I choose not to part-take in the economic slowdown. Why would I want to focus on the negative? I don't want that negative stuff to come to me. So, I'm only going to focus on what I want. Friends, family, a job that I love, and a few extra dollars to buy a house and take my mom out every once in a while. Oh, and have kids...and be happily married....

Old 08-14-2008, 01:15 PM

308 posts, read 1,616,898 times
Quote:
thank you for your answer. I have been waiting for someone to state that it is only their preception of Perris.
Quote:
Well, this is just YOUR OPINION of the city. I see no problem with it and guess what? You are the one thinking that I'm "talking" too much. Your preception of me is crazy, but that's okay. Whatever your preception IS, that IS YOUR REALITY. Remove judgement and you will see the true me. Oh, and just so you know....I haven't been on this site in MONTHS, so who's "talking too much now?"
And this is only your perception. Perhaps you should remember this when berating people for how they view Parris, even though you disagree with it.

As for the highlighted part, if you checked the poster's date, then you would notice that he responded when you originally made the thread some months back.

If you like/enjoy Parris, then don't worry about what others think. Do your own thing & be done with it.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 PM

315 posts, read 349,472 times
The continued housing crash with no end in site will bring exurbs like Perris even further into the abyss. Especially the newer communities since most people there bought at the peak. I am not saying there are not any nice areas because there are plenty. I use the lake for fishing. But if areas that were once desirable due to being closer to job hobs, like Eastvale in Corona, are becoming foreclosure ghost towns, what do you think will happen to exurbs like Perris? You can continue and ignore the facts like an ostrich with its head in the sand 'oh no not my city' or face reality and buck up.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Hey, it'll suck for a while, but something like 2million people are expected to move to the IE in the next 10-15 years. Perris is not going anywhere, nor is it going to be a complete rundown ghetto...supply and demand.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Why do so many people ask this,

Do you live in the area?

Then, if you say, "Yes, I live in Perris".

The MINTUE you say that word Perris, they state, "oh" with a look on their face...like Perris has an infestation of lice and evil and hate and poorness?

Last time I check, every city has it's older parts and every city has its poor areas. What? Temecula does not have gang bangers that live out there? You think that Murrieta does not have drug dealers? How about Menifee?

You think that all people in Perris are poor? Like every street is poor? Like everyone that lives in Perris has no college education? Like everyone in Perris is stupid? Sure, 65% of Perris is Hispanic. Is that bad?

Every city has it's older parts. Every city. It's not bad to live here. The schools are fine. I went to Perris high and YES, I did graduate from Perris High in 1993. I am a current senior at University of Redlands School of Business.

I guess the word "poor" means different things to different people.
No, Temecula, Murrieta & Menifee do not have the gang bangers or crime or poor areas that Perris has. That's why it looks more rundown and has higher crime rates
The schools reputations are not nearly as good as the other cities. Back when my sister was in HS (& Menifee didn't have its own school), Perris HS had regular riots there & problems the other schools in the area did not have.

I don't see how it is family-oriented either. The HS students don't seem connected to their families and the way they behave shows it. Whenever I see children around that city, they look unkempt. Poor does not have to equal dirty and unkempt.

Perris also has poorer air quality. There have been newspaper articles explaining how the pollution stops right around the Sun City - Perris border, because of the way the cities are situated. When you drive into Perris, it looks smoggier all of a sudden.

And face it, the area looks majorly rundown and you see a lot more scary looking people walking around. It's unappealing. Menifee is a small town and does not have the negative feel that Perris has. I don't think it is a race issue. People of every race just seem classier in these other cities, compared to Perris. I'm speaking in generalities, because of course there are some nice neighborhoods and people in Perris, but it has its rep for a reason.

If the area is changing, then great...it's about time. Hopefully it will join Menifee, Murrieta, and Temecula in their reputation of being clean, safe, family-friendly suburbs. It took those cities time to get rid of their semi-rural white trash country bumpkin reps....so maybe Perris will lose its ghetto rep in time, if it improves anyway...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 30,982 times
When you ask people a question in a public setting, you have to be ready for answers that may be different than your opinion. You should have a better idea now, based on the responses you received, on why people react that way when you tell them where you live. If you like living there, then hey keep living there. No need to get so defensive especially when you are asking the question.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties