Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 PM

10 posts, read 44,051 times

Advertisements

Wondering if brittanykayy has ever driven around LA. No question the traffic often sucks on the 15, 215, 10, 210 60, 91, etc. But at least there's a time of day out here when the traffic ISN'T stop-and-go. I've literally never been on the 405 and not had to throw on brakes and inch along at some point. Never. Not even at 2:00 AM. Try the I-5/I-10 interchange. Or don't: you'll live longer. You practically need body armor to fight your way into the domestic terminal at LAX. I'll take Ontario, thank you very much.

It's all a matter of perspective and personal preference, of course. Seattle has gotten way overgrown, but I wish bk well there.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 PM

70 posts, read 206,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal 1630 View Post
Wondering if brittanykayy has ever driven around LA. No question the traffic often sucks on the 15, 215, 10, 210 60, 91, etc. But at least there's a time of day out here when the traffic ISN'T stop-and-go. I've literally never been on the 405 and not had to throw on brakes and inch along at some point. Never. Not even at 2:00 AM. Try the I-5/I-10 interchange. Or don't: you'll live longer. You practically need body armor to fight your way into the domestic terminal at LAX. I'll take Ontario, thank you very much.

It's all a matter of perspective and personal preference, of course. Seattle has gotten way overgrown, but I wish bk well there.
No kidding. We drove out to Long Beach today and traffic was stop and go for most of the way... on a Saturday... at 10 am. LOL. It's insane how the 405 can be dead-stopped traffic at midnight. Rush hour is all hours in LA.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 PM

181 posts, read 684,250 times
I know I hate LA traffic!! I get my hair done at warren tricomi on Melrose and it is a 5 hour waste in traffic (both ways combined) It drives me crazy !!!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 AM

31 posts, read 126,813 times
I think you are making a great move! You are young, confident, and intelligent. You want to move somewhere else and give it a try. I say, "Go for it!".

As others have warned, though, be a bit careful about moving without a job. These are tough times. Can your parents or others help you with travel expenses if you need to come back due to a lack of a job? You might also consider sharing a room for a while until you get your feet on the ground.

We moved to the IE (Redlands) from the upper Midwest. There were great things about living there, but we like it better here. We will not move back. We think there are lots of great things to do.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthorson View Post
I think you are making a great move! You are young, confident, and intelligent. You want to move somewhere else and give it a try. I say, "Go for it!".

As others have warned, though, be a bit careful about moving without a job. These are tough times. Can your parents or others help you with travel expenses if you need to come back due to a lack of a job? You might also consider sharing a room for a while until you get your feet on the ground.

We moved to the IE (Redlands) from the upper Midwest. There were great things about living there, but we like it better here. We will not move back. We think there are lots of great things to do.

Good luck!

Thank you Well I will probably move up there with a job secured but I was thinking about having a couple months off to just explore and enjoy my new area before I start working. I have a few months of reserve just in case, and my parents are willing to help me out if I need anything. There a quite a bit more jobs in Seattle than there are here where I am at now, so I am pretty confident about finding somthing. If I have to take a lower paying position for a while before I find something better, I don't mind. I probably wont do the roommate thing, considering I really love my solitude. I am pretty smart with my money, have a great savings, and have no debt. Fingers crossed

Old 09-27-2009, 12:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanykayy View Post
California isnt for everybody. I guess to be happy in the IE you have to like heat, desert, track homes, and smog. I prefer cool weather, green trees, clean air, and homes with character.
Quote:
Lived here my whole life. Just speaking from experience.
Quote:
Just to clarify, I will be moving to the Seattle area. Not Seattle. Either way, the traffic there is nothing like Cali's. If it gets a little congested, at least the scenery is beautiful and I can roll down my windows. And I am aware everywhere has its ups and downs. As long as the heat, smog, barren land and track homes don't follow me to Washington- I'll be pleased
You know what? I sounded exactly like you before I left the IE.

Here's what I've learned:

Some people like heat, especially those that don't like the cold. Some are from the Midwest or Northeast, others are Southern CA natives that are terrified of anything that doesn't happen in Southern CA.

Some people like desert landscapes, maybe they are from flat places or green places, and prefer the desert.

Some people like tract homes, because they are functional and provide a symbol of status.

Some people like smog, oh wait, I'm probably wrong on this one. But Southern CA isn't the only place with smog.

Metro Seattle is cool, but when it gets hot, it's humid as hell. I can't really argue with you about the green trees. Clean air, ha, Seattle isn't some smog-free paradise. Homes with character? Good luck affording one of those, metro SEA is way more expensive than the IE.

Seattle's traffic can suck. People drive ridiculous distances to work there too, remember there are plenty of ex-CA'ians there too. Do you really want to roll down your windows when it's raining or cold? There are tract homes there too.

When you go to Washington, make sure you stay west of the Cascades. Otherwise, you'll see heat, barren land and tract homes. Central WA (Yakima, Wenatchee, Moses Lake) and SE WA (Tri-Cities) fit this to a T.

You've lived in the IE your whole life, you don't know anything else. Getting out and living in other places will change your opinions and wants/needs. You won't hate the IE so much after you've lived a few other places. If you could concede the heat/desert/smog, there are places in the IE where you could be happy. You may even end up hating Seattle. There are intangibles that can't be measured -- I'm sure if somebody handed you a $100K/yr job and a free tract home in the IE, you wouldn't hate it so much.

Either way, I wish you the best.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

Some people like heat, especially those that don't like the cold. Some are from the Midwest or Northeast, others are Southern CA natives that are terrified of anything that doesn't happen in Southern CA.

Some people like desert landscapes, maybe they are from flat places or green places, and prefer the desert.

Some people like tract homes, because they are functional and provide a symbol of status.

Some people like smog, oh wait, I'm probably wrong on this one. But Southern CA isn't the only place with smog.

Metro Seattle is cool, but when it gets hot, it's humid as hell. I can't really argue with you about the green trees. Clean air, ha, Seattle isn't some smog-free paradise. Homes with character? Good luck affording one of those, metro SEA is way more expensive than the IE.

Seattle's traffic can suck. People drive ridiculous distances to work there too, remember there are plenty of ex-CA'ians there too. Do you really want to roll down your windows when it's raining or cold? There are tract homes there too.

When you go to Washington, make sure you stay west of the Cascades. Otherwise, you'll see heat, barren land and tract homes. Central WA (Yakima, Wenatchee, Moses Lake) and SE WA (Tri-Cities) fit this to a T.

You've lived in the IE your whole life, you don't know anything else. Getting out and living in other places will change your opinions and wants/needs. You won't hate the IE so much after you've lived a few other places. If you could concede the heat/desert/smog, there are places in the IE where you could be happy. You may even end up hating Seattle. There are intangibles that can't be measured -- I'm sure if somebody handed you a $100K/yr job and a free tract home in the IE, you wouldn't hate it so much.

Not bad advice I wouldnt mind a 100k a year job. As long as I got a lot of vacation time to go visit Washington !

Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM

70 posts, read 206,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

This is great advice. To the OP, we are about the same age, but have lived two very different lives. We move around a lot for hubby's job.

I say take some initiative, follow your dreams, get a job, move to WA and enjoy yourself. Once you do have the 6-figure job, you move where your company sends you, not necessarily where you want to live.

The funny thing is that once you move, you will start to appreciate a lot of little things that made life so nice back in the dumpy IE. There's a lot to be said for having friends and family nearby. No matter what city you live in.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:06 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
There's a lot to be said for having friends and family nearby. No matter what city you live in.
This is SOOOOO true!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
This is great advice. To the OP, we are about the same age, but have lived two very different lives. We move around a lot for hubby's job.

I say take some initiative, follow your dreams, get a job, move to WA and enjoy yourself. Once you do have the 6-figure job, you move where your company sends you, not necessarily where you want to live.

The funny thing is that once you move, you will start to appreciate a lot of little things that made life so nice back in the dumpy IE. There's a lot to be said for having friends and family nearby. No matter what city you live in.

Good luck to you.
So true about having family close. The hardest thing about me moving anywhere is leaving my mom and dad because we are so close. So hard !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties