Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,989,319 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Philly and suburbs, so I know what you're talking about to some extent. I do think they have an angry and bitter working class (not everyone, of course) there that I haven't noticed on the West Coast (SF Bay Area).

I am white and Philly definitely has more racial tension than the West Coast does.

Although a lot of people are angry here about illegal immigrants.

That said, California has a different set of drawbacks than Philly. High taxes for mediocre/poor services. High cost of living. Dysfunctional state government (yes, way worse than average), earthquakes, etc.

So just come here with your eyes wide open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,856,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I was born and raised in Philly and suburbs, so I know what you're talking about to some extent. I do think they have an angry and bitter working class (not everyone, of course) there that I haven't noticed on the West Coast (SF Bay Area).

I am white and Philly definitely has more racial tension than the West Coast does.

Although a lot of people are angry here about illegal immigrants.

That said, California has a different set of drawbacks than Philly. High taxes for mediocre/poor services. High cost of living. Dysfunctional state government (yes, way worse than average), earthquakes, etc.

So just come here with your eyes wide open.
I have to say, the whole earthquakes argument against So Cal is very funny to me. The last major earthquake to rattle anything more than a chandelier in So Cal was the Northridge earthquake in, I think, 1994. It's been 14 years since we've had a real big one. Now that I've jinxed it, I'm sure we're all doomed. But when the rest of the country gets wiped off the map by hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, blizzards, etc every year like clockwork and they talk about the devastating earthquakes as some reason not to live here, ya gotta laugh.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM

344 posts, read 842,318 times
well well well
thank you all so much for rolling out the red carpet for me!
thats how it feels and i am very excited...[big sigh]
my worries have been put to rest
as i am sure you can imagine, the stuff i go through here daily WEARS on me
when you can say "fed up", that's when you will do anything to change circumstances

was living in pasadena from 2-9 and we had decent earthquakes maybe 5 times a year or more....woken up by them often, but it was whatever then
again, thanks for all the heads up and for being so relating/welcoming
its ALLLLL been put into perspective and all of the assurances i've needed i have surely gotten

Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,240,225 times
Serpent_Of_Old

It is nice to know that i am not the only one that is disgusted with life in Philly. I have been trying to convince my wife to leave philly and move to san diego for a couple of years now. just like you said, that overall angry vibe that flows through the city, its just depressing. i feel like im always on guard. i have visited SD many times, and every time i go there , it gets harder to leave. how did you convice your girfriend/wife to move there? please fill me in, because i am striking out!

Mossomo

I liked your breakdown, it is exactly what i am looking for. my wife and i are in our late 20's, very much into the beach/surfing lifestyle. i need a more laid back life. i dig the city, but philly is driving me insane. quality of life here is just plain low. congrats, you made it! i feel like its my turn.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Philly is a cool city but I would never live in the city itself. Philly suburbs are some of the nicest suburbs in the country, much nicer than San Diego's for instance. S
I dont think the philly suburbs are all that nice. its still trashy pennsylvania and south jersey. mainline towns.....average suburbs. nothing special.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,990,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
I dont think the philly suburbs are all that nice. its still trashy pennsylvania and south jersey. mainline towns.....average suburbs. nothing special.
Then you've obviously never been to Bucks County, and driven through the beautiful wooded areas, with nice duplex homes with large front and back yards, nearby shopping centers, parks, hiking trails, old farm houses, small creeks and rivers.

Driving through Bucks County (just outside Philly) during the fall when the leaves are changing color, is absolutely amazing.

As I said previously, there are both good and bad sections all over Philly and its suburbs. You can't simply treat Philly as a whole.

Some Philly suburbs are exceptionally nice, like around New Hope and Washington's Crossing. I would also include Holland, Richboro, and Newtown.

The same can also be said for New Jersey. It has lots of very nice areas like parts of Middlesex County, and other sections which are run down eyesores like parts of Camden and Trenton.

Last edited by RD5050; 07-01-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Just1Lion,
OMG OMG OMG
you could CERTAINLY NOT have put that better!
the philly burbs were decent in the 80's and NOT since...they were jumpin back then, i mean, for what they could be. they use to seriously cater to people from philly. sad to see that change

"philly is driving me insane. quality of life here is just plain low."
"that overall angry vibe that flows through the city, its just depressing. i feel like im always on guard."

and you know what, unless people have been living here in the last say 5 years, they dont know how bad it is lol. i typically now look over my shoulder in broad daylight in center city, ESPECIALLY on broad or market. its like people have lost their damn minds. and i think people are just hungry for what YOU GOT, it doesnt matter if what you have is broken, used, or hidden. and you get that vibe from everyone. they are desperate and will do anything to get validation from you. and if you dont give them validation, your life/safety is in danger. thats even true in upper darby AND out-of-towners in university city. i could go on and on

here are the barriers that must be overcome to get your wife to move, assuming they even exist, in the order hardest to easiest to overcome

1. leaving her family and familiarity behind (even if they are just on the east coast somewhere)
2. the financial, planning, and unearthing aspect of this can be a bit much for most
3. fear of the unknown
4. what if it doesnt work out (financially/socially)

i think she just has to go there to visit AND just be on what you are on...feel moved the way you are moved. my girl is very resistent to this, for the above reasons and more. she's also a very impressionable artist. once we visit together, she wont let ME go back to philly lol. when i was there in SD 5 years ago, omg....i arrived back here....i was seriously depressed by being back here. i was married then and told my wife that i was moving to SD with or without her, and meant it. she was resistent, but i felt THAT passionate about it. and afraid to light that fire again with another visit, but multiple visits will be necessary before my move approximated for a year from now, when school would start up there for me if all works out. you know how bad it is here....student loans or school or hell or high water....i will be THERE regardless!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 AM

RD5050,
from the description, i think he's talking about montgomery county, delco, and south jerz. alot of people dont even know anything about bucks county, prolly because its such a drive, making the delco and montco mainline seem like the true philly burbs. i tossed around abington and warrington for a while. i know i'd have to slit my wrists for excitement if i bought a house there or even rented. there's nooooo way. considering options i never thought i'd explore, as a quick fix to how it is here now. spent all last fall exploring lower bucks, as far up as doylestown...as suggested in my last post, i have to do this right though [sigh]

Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,990,328 times
Yes, many areas south and west of Philly have issues. I don't disagree at all. Areas like Upper Darby, etc. are not places I would want to call home.

South Jersey has both good and bad too. Cherry Hill has some nice sections.

However San Diego is 100% different than Philly. You will absolutely LOVE it here. The constant great weather, the beautiful surroundings, great beaches, etc. It feels like you are on vacation in Paradise 365 days a year. And that is your home! I can't imagine living anywhere better than San Diego.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Then you've obviously never been to Bucks County, and driven through the beautiful wooded areas, with nice duplex homes with large front and back yards, nearby shopping centers, parks, hiking trails, old farm houses, small creeks and rivers.
i drive through bucks county on my way to work every day. trash. bristol? croydon? bensalem? right......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego