Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,012,365 times

Advertisements

He doesn't claim to live in the hood or be poor. He actually says he lives in a "beautiful Oakland neighborhood", but has experienced gun point robbery.

Quote:
I am neither paranoid nor Republican. To the contrary, my middle-class neighbors and I have an objectively reasonable basis for this fear. You see, in my nice, overpriced, and I must say, beautiful Oakland neighborhood, people have been robbed at gunpoint, houses have been broken into and cars have been stolen (mine included). I am simply tired of this fear that has infused my everyday Oakland existence.
But go ahead and dismiss the opinion of someone who lives Oakland's middle class lifestyle everyday, instead of learning from his experiences.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
I don't care about Cohn and his stinky article. I don't like civil attorneys unless they is defending my side as I'm an insurance adjuster.

I do like the old house in the photo though as a fan of old houses. That house could be featured on "This Old House" if they did a CA swing.

What kind of freakin loyalty is that that an advisor to the Mayor would pen such a story? I think there's a story in that as well. I find lawyers to be generally shystery in the main, and you gotta watch 'em like a hawk.

Why did I ever tell y'all about the attorney that showed up at our house when my Dad (Insurance Claims Manager) was away and convinced my sister to hand over the keys to a salvaged 'Vette? The insurance company had already paid his clients claim but the former owner seemed to think the car was still his for some crazy reason... My Dad got home and called the cops and had the lawyer arrrested. Lawyer had to bail himself out then Dad dropped the charges. We'uns try to be reasonable like that, and an overnight stay in the pokey was justice enough. Had I been home I would of chased that lawyer off the porch, though. But my sister is CA blonde and was kinda gullible when she was 12...

Now Doc done hung up his shingle and is slingin ...

Middle Class Man can move his butt from Oakland if he so desires. Free country and all.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Afterall, he has political aspirations as one of Quan's advisors
Yeah, he wants to get into Quan's inner circle by taking a platform that is directly responsible for Quan's low approval ratings (crime is too high).

That will get him into her good graces.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
He doesn't claim to live in the hood or be poor. He actually says he lives in a "beautiful Oakland neighborhood", but has experienced gun point robbery.

But go ahead and dismiss the opinion of someone who lives Oakland's middle class lifestyle everyday, instead of learning from his experiences.

Then, you should admit it's terribly misleading to post that photo of DEO in that article.

And yes, I'm dismissing him. In case you didn't read about his political aspirations within Oakland and his obvious soap box, he's not a credible or typical agent of news.

If he's that fearful while living in Rockridge, Piedmont, Montclair, or wherever else he may be living, maybe something more rural is better suited for him. Sunol, Clayton, etc.

And he doesn't live a typical middle class lifestyle everyday. He's an uber high-profile future politician who's choosing a platform on which to speak and sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic.

Quote:
Yeah, he wants to get into Quan's inner circle by taking a platform that is directly responsible for Quan's low approval ratings (crime is too high).

That will get him into her good graces.
Yep, that's it. That's the only option in this scenario. You nailed it! <eye roll>

Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Of course I'm sure if he said "I love living in middle class Oakland, and I don't fear anything, as I mow my lawn, sip on martini's while enjoying the fresh East Bay air!", we probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Speaking of credible...

Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 AM

No way. Adam's point is super safe, and nothing ever happens there. If you disagree, you must simply hate Oakland.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,335 times
What if this attorney wrote a positive Oakland article? Would it still be biased? Why is his piece being dismissed so fast?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
What if this attorney wrote a positive Oakland article? Would it still be biased? Why is his piece being dismissed so fast?
Because he's telling the truth.

If he had said middle class Oakland is perfect, and no crime occurs, there would be barely any discussion.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,335 times
Quote:
Because he's telling the truth.

If he had said middle class Oakland is perfect, and no crime occurs, there would be barely any discussion.
He would be a trusted and credible source.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Ive asked this question to all of the c-d middle class advocates time and time again and have never recieved an answer: What neighborhoods in SF or LA are solidly middle class, have terrific k-12 schools, are uber safe and are VERY affordable?

*crickets*

Better yet, which SF and LA neighborhoods are a better value for middle class families than Laurel, Maxwell Park or Upper Dimond???

Please enlighten us with the super long list of LA and SF neighborhoods that exonorate you from looking like hypocrites holding Oakland to an impossible double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland