Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 04:11 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
Also, notice how this "investigative report" revisits the same 2% or so of the City that their last investigative report visited? That really is the math--153 blocks of more than 5300 in San Francisco's city limits=less than 3%. Yet, many, including you and the reporters in this video (to some degree), continue to conflate the issues to the entire City.
Why not listen to the video? The female asks: Why 153 blocks? How did you determine which blocks to walk?

Investigation reporter responds: They were looking of doing a big enough swab of the city that would be represented of the problem if there actually is one. We also wanted to pick an area that was close to a lot of different things: schools, police stations, major hotels, right next to Union square. SF is a small area…just 7 miles by 7 miles, thus for most residents is pretty tough to avoid crossing the same sections of town. Here in SF you are crossing the 7 miles by 7 miles pretty frequently.

The issue is not conflated. The issue is all over the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 04:15 PM

653 posts, read 464,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The video report sums up the filth and lack of civilized behaviors in SF.

The reporters conclusions are off.
Are you agreeing with me that, when the reporters state that "locals can't avoid the Tenderloin" they are wrong?

Or, is it your contention that, when the reporter correctly identified that "accepting these conditions has become an accepted fact of life for people who live in this neighborhood (The Tenderloin," (which you mistakenly attributed to a sentiment throughout all of San Francisco and in fact, all of society in general)) that was where they went "off"?

Please clarify this contradiction.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Why not listen to the video? The female asks: Why 153 blocks? How did you determine which blocks to walk?

Investigation reporter responds: They were looking of doing a big enough swab of the city that would be represented of the problem if there actually is one. We also wanted to pick an area that was close to a lot of different things: schools, police stations, major hotels, right next to Union square. SF is a small area…just 7 miles by 7 miles, thus for most residents is pretty tough to avoid crossing the same sections of town. Here in SF you are crossing the 7 miles by 7 miles pretty frequently.

The issue is not conflated. The issue is all over the city.

153 blocks is less than 3% of the City, is it not?

Plus, the 153 block report was the previous "investigative report," not this sensationalist one, which covers three blocks.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Take it up with the reporters.

You have never been able to carry on a productive discussion in these forums.

Anyone who pays any attention knows that SF is a filthy cesspool. It's old news...nothing new.

It’s true — San Francisco is a mess. And everyone knows it

'We all suffer': why San Francisco techies hate the city they transformed

Old 11-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Take it up with the reporters.

You have never been able to carry on a productive discussion in these forums.
It's odd that you seem to think that anyone presenting a counterpoint to your assertions or even asking you to elaborate on or clarify them is not "carrying on a productive discussion." In fact, it generally speaks to the weakness of these assertions.

There is almost never 100% right or wrong, true or false, in topics such as these--particularly in dealing with something like a feature piece on local TV news. Examining things in finer detail, discussing them, even arguing point/counterpoint is really the opposite of "unproductive," wouldn't you agree?

Old 11-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It's odd that you seem to think that anyone presenting a counterpoint to your assertions or even asking you to elaborate on or clarify them is not "carrying on a productive discussion." In fact, it generally speaks to the weakness of these assertions.

There is almost never 100% right or wrong, true or false, in topics such as these--particularly in dealing with something like a feature piece on local TV news. Examining things in finer detail, discussing them, even arguing point/counterpoint is really the opposite of "unproductive," wouldn't you agree?
Yep like I stated you are unable to hold productive discussions. Yet you think it's the other poster's issue.

Take a good look at your posts and how people respond to them. I can guarantee I'm not the outlier in pointing out your inability to hold productive discussions in the forum.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You probably arent from san francisco lol. There is a 50/50 chance you picking up that trash will end up getting homeless poop on your hand, vomit, or you could stick yourself with the hundreds of thousands of needles the city gives to crack heads.
No kidding, I wouldn't dare think to pick up anything off the streets or sidewalks of SF.

Bio-hazardous waste all over the place makes it not safe to pick up anything...can you imagine the germs people track into their house if they don't take their shoes off before entering their house or apartment?

Old 11-26-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Yep like I stated you are unable to hold productive discussions. Yet you think it's the other poster's issue.

Take a good look at your posts and how people respond to them. I can guarantee I'm not the outlier in pointing out your inability to hold productive discussions in the forum.
I would absolutely encourage you to honor that guarantee by engaging in an intelligent exchange that stood only on your own assertions, considered opinions and descriptions thereof, free of baseless absolutes, cut-and-paste links and emojied cronyisms.

I have no problems with the way anyone (including you) has ever responded to my posts, so I’m not sure where that point is coming from or headed. What I find odd is how some posters here (I do include you among them) post such strongly held opinions, yet refuse to support them with anything more than the most low level backing, such as “everybody says so...” or “I’m not the outlier! Others agree!...”

You present your opinions with bravado, but retreat to such simplistic responses, often even attempts at insults whenever thoughtfully challenged, that it makes me question your motives in posting those opinions in the first place.

Perhaps you don’t understand that, having your assertions respectfully questioned in a discussion forum, as I am doing, is not an attack or insult. It’s an invitation to make your points in a more concrete and thoughtful way for anyone who’s reading—which should be of particular interest to someone who puts so much stake in what the third parties to our exchanges think of them.

Last edited by DeanoSF; 11-26-2019 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I would absolutely encourage you to honor that guarantee by engaging in an intelligent exchange that stood only on your own assertions, considered opinions and descriptions thereof, free of baseless absolutes, cut-and-paste links and emojied cronyisms.

I have no problems with the way anyone (including you) has ever responded to my posts, so I’m not sure where that point is coming from or headed. What I find odd is how some posters here (I do include you among them) post such strongly held opinions, yet refuse to support them with anything more than the most low level backing, such as “everybody says so...” or “I’m not the outlier! Others agree!...”

You present your opinions with bravado, but retreat to such simplistic responses, often even attempts at insults whenever thoughtfully challenged, that it makes me question your motives in posting those opinions in the first place.

Perhaps you don’t understand that, having your assertions respectfully questioned in a discussion forum, as I am doing, is not an attack or insult. It’s an invitation to make your points in a more concrete and thoughtful way for anyone who’s reading—which should be of particular interest to someone who puts so much stake in what the third parties to our exchanges think of them.
What assertions are you talking about? I posted a video where I stated the video reports sums up the issue but the reporters conclusions are a bit off.

Now exactly what "assertion" are you questioning?

I know who you are and your posting behaviors. Just look at the repeated posts you've made and all the assertions you've claimed about me yet I've not made any assertion at all. Don't you find it odd how you have blown this up into something when there was no reason to do such a thing? I certainly do.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
What assertions are you talking about? I posted a video where I stated the video reports sums up the issue but the reporters conclusions are a bit off.

Now exactly what "assertion" are you questioning?

I know who you are and your posting behaviors. Just look at the repeated posts you've made and all the assertions you've claimed about me yet I've not made any assertion at all. Don't you find it odd how you have blown this up into something when there was no reason to do such a thing? I certainly do.
Yes. This. You make post after breathless post of "no assertion at all" each time you are challenged after cosigning a random video or news link with a vapid absolute statement or thumbs-up emoji. It's the mark of a weak position.

That's fine, though. I'm not making anything of it. Nor am I "blowing anything up." You had ample opportunity to intelligently respond and chose otherwise, as you're certainly entitled to do. Carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland