Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 PM
K8K

6 posts, read 9,947 times

Advertisements

I left Bakersfield to get away from the religious right republican anti social angry tea bagger nut jobs, so I suppose I can learn to live in a city full of people on the autism spectrum. Who knew.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8K View Post
I left Bakersfield to get away from the religious right republican anti social angry tea bagger nut jobs, so I suppose I can learn to live in a city full of people on the autism spectrum. Who knew.
Autism spectrum...really, autism spectrum?

I get it...I get it, you don't like it here...but to call the citizens of Seattle people with autism is offensive both to people who truly do have autism and to the citizens of this great city.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 PM

82 posts, read 143,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8K View Post
. And never have I had men behave so ungentlemanly. I'm not looking to make friends with these people, I don't need validation or expect compliments, but blank stares, slamming doors and averted eyes make me feel like I am a stranger in a very strange land. Who knew being an American in America could be so foreign?

Help me understand the whole looking in eyes and chit-chat thing. I just don't get it. I'm from the midwest and have lived in a few rocky mtn states as well before coming here and I don't get the importance of this. I'm polite in most social situations, but I usually restrict my conversations and eye contact to my co-workers, friends, family and any groups I participate in. That's enough for me and it fills me up just fine.

It's a city, there are a lot of people walking around that you encounter everyday. Am I supposed to look everyone in the eye that I walk past, nod my head, maybe even say hello? That's like hundreds of people a day, whether it be at green lake, downtown, etc. Does this really happen in the southeast? Do people talk to the person in front of them and behind them in the line at the grocery store? Do they compliment them on their clothes? Do they stare down everyone?? It just sounds like a lot of superficial stuff that some of you folks weight so heavily.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evda View Post
Help me understand the whole looking in eyes and chit-chat thing. I just don't get it. I'm from the midwest and have lived in a few rocky mtn states as well before coming here and I don't get the importance of this. I'm polite in most social situations, but I usually restrict my conversations and eye contact to my co-workers, friends, family and any groups I participate in. That's enough for me and it fills me up just fine.

It's a city, there are a lot of people walking around that you encounter everyday. Am I supposed to look everyone in the eye that I walk past, nod my head, maybe even say hello? That's like hundreds of people a day, whether it be at green lake, downtown, etc. Does this really happen in the southeast? Do people talk to the person in front of them and behind them in the line at the grocery store? Do they compliment them on their clothes? Do they stare down everyone?? It just sounds like a lot of superficial stuff that some of you folks weight so heavily.
Awesome post

I don't understand why eye contact/constant small talk is so important. I have never spent enough time in the Southeast to notice so maybe it is a big deal down there?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Neither do I, and I'm a bit surprised at how many people in this thread seem to want to do just that. Don't you see enough of these people for the 40+ hours you're around them every week?
Seriously. I have little in common with the half wits I work with-it's all I can do to make 40 hours with them, and the last thing I want to do is talk shop after work.

It seems most of the posters feeling the "freeze" are fairly recent transplants (nothing wrong with that). I've spent most of my life in Florida, which is also loaded with transplants, and my eyes glaze over and my mind starts to wander when ever someone starts a conversation with "Hi, I'm from Ohio, New York, Indiana, Iowa, etc." It's nothing personal-I've just heard it soooo many times and I really have nothing to say in return except maybe "That's nice." Like I said, nothing wrong with being a transplant (in fact, I get along better with them than the natives), but sometimes the sheer amount of new people is overwhelming to long time residents.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Then Seattle is probably the perfect environment for you.

Quote:
It's a city, there are a lot of people walking around that you encounter everyday. Am I supposed to look everyone in the eye that I walk past, nod my head, maybe even say hello? That's like hundreds of people a day, whether it be at green lake, downtown, etc.
No, not at all. But there is something pleasant about having someone make eye contact and give you a slight nod, or say something innocuous or simple like "hey." Maybe you find it intrusive and creepy. I've known people that think this. Can't understand it for the life of me.

Admittedly, I found that this happened often enough in Seattle, and I, personally, found the disconnect between a smile and nod on the street (which came often) and actually having a conversation with someone (very rare) to be quite off-putting.

I did notice the door-holding thing, though; I would hold the door, and quite often, people would look at me like I either had a third arm coming out of my ear, or I was of a subnormal intelligence. There was probably a 33% chance of this happening. Then, there was a 33% chance that they would not look at me and scurry through the door quickly, awkwardly, without a word, and the final 33% was saying "thanks" to some degree or another. I do recall one time where a middle-aged African-American woman said, "good to see there are some gentlemen left!" when I did this; made my day

I did find it odd that this was the case, since people were generally so polite about letting you merge in traffic or letting the other car go first...

Seattle is also the only city where it happened frequently enough that people would actually seem to make a motion to close the door behind them, despite the fact you were obviously coming in behind them.

Quote:
Does this really happen in the southeast?
Yes.

Quote:
Do people talk to the person in front of them and behind them in the line at the grocery store?
Yes. They do it in California and much of the Northeast, too. Standing in a long line can be boring; it can also be frustrating when there's a woman with 500 cans of cat food in the express line. Sharing this frustration with the person in front of or behind you isn't an intrusive, pushy, or abnormal thing to most people in most places.

Quote:
Do they compliment them on their clothes?
Yes.

Quote:
Do they stare down everyone??
There's a huge difference between politely making eye contact and "staring someone down." Staring someone down is what gets you punched. Maybe this is part of the problem... that there seems to be an outsized number of people in the PNW who don't necessarily understand the difference.

Quote:
It just sounds like a lot of superficial stuff that some of you folks weight so heavily.
I don't understand why it is that people seem to think that it's "superficial" to be social and friendly to people...

Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I thought there were plenty of very friendly people who would make eye contact with me in Seattle ...... it's just that invariably they would then ask me for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Autism spectrum...really, autism spectrum?

I get it...I get it, you don't like it here...but to call the citizens of Seattle people with autism is offensive both to people who truly do have autism and to the citizens of this great city.
It's not as bad as it sounded. Asperbergers Syndrome is considered to be a marginal part of the autism spectrum ...... computer programmers are often considered to have Aspergers ...... Microsoft is located in the Seattle metro area ..... see? Lots of intelligent people are disinclined to make personal contacts of any kind if they don't have to. I'm like that myself out in the meatworld, but oddly enough that doesn't extend to my internet persona, I'm quite chatty online. Different areas of the brain involved, I suppose.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Yes, you heard it here folks: computer programmers all have Aspergers.

What other precious nuggets of information do you have in store for me, zombie thread that won't die?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
computer programmers are often considered to have Aspergers
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yes, you heard it here folks: computer programmers all have Aspergers.

What other precious nuggets of information do you have in store for me, zombie thread that won't die?
Your reading comprehension could use some work. This isn't something new and its not confined to the Microsoft or Seattle tech community.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9...ergers_pr.html

Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I've lived in middle TN my entire life (so far), so I'll share my experiences here.

Quote:
It's a city, there are a lot of people walking around that you encounter everyday. Am I supposed to look everyone in the eye that I walk past, nod my head, maybe even say hello? That's like hundreds of people a day, whether it be at green lake, downtown, etc. Does this really happen in the southeast?
Maybe in smaller towns. My town has about 108,000 people, and it's pretty rare. I used to think it did, or should, until I bicycle commuted on the MUP daily. I naturally would nod, wave, and/or say "hi" to people coming the other way, and they very, VERY rarely returned anything but a look of bewilderment/disgust. This was always fairly early in the morning, and many of the people I would see were the same ones day after day. There would be one or two who reluctantly waved back every day, eventually, but most just appeared confused. When one did respond in a cheerful manner, they almost always had what sounded like a non-southern accent. I'm not saying the ones who didn't respond were all natives, just that I found it interesting that the most friendly at least sounded like transplants.

Walking past hundreds of people in Nashville, whether you're in the touristy areas or the business district, and from what I've seen the people aren't much different from Seattle. Although most people here do hold the door open behind them if they see you following. I did that in Seattle and Bellingham and didn't notice anyone looking at me funny. I didn't notice if anyone else was doing it though. I don't really care, it's just what I'm used to doing and I'll continue doing it no matter where I am.

Quote:
Do people talk to the person in front of them and behind them in the line at the grocery store?
Sometimes, but I don't see it very often. Most people just mind their own business.

Quote:
Do they compliment them on their clothes?
I have never, ever seen this in public between two people who had never met. I've seen people make compliments to strangers on other things, like a nice car or a cute dog being walked in the park, but never clothing. To me that would be...odd.

Quote:
Do they stare down everyone??
Actually, yes! This may just be my town, but I've just noticed in the last couple years that when I'm out in public I'll see quite a few other men staring at me. And it's not a "Hey, I'm lonely, come talk to me" kind of stare. It's more like an angry, threatening stare, and for the life of me I can't figure out where it came from. It's almost like they're trying to be intimidating for some reason. I never see women doing this, just men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area