Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
1. Threads don't get closed because they bore someone. Feel free to ignore this thread.

2. The goal of every interaction in life isn't to get smarter...sometimes it is just to share some camaraderie about something, in this case, the peculiar cultural climate of Seattle.
Sometimes the cultural weather, too.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
The whole point of creating this thread was so that there weren't a billion other threads on the Freeze cluttering up this board. If you'd rather have a bunch of smaller threads on the same subject... by all means, try and get this thread locked.
Does vitamin D help? And the light boxes? Full spectrum lights in the home?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM

576 posts, read 1,819,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Does vitamin D help? And the light boxes? Full spectrum lights in the home?
They help, but are no replacement for the real thing.

I really hope I can move somewhere else, but due to the economy I'm stranded here for who knows how much longer. Ugh.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM

73,116 posts, read 62,771,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The thing is though, you don't have to be a bookish/introverted person to thrive in Seattle. I am native to this area, and I have a social life. I am a chill/mellow person by nature, but that doesn't mean I am some awkward pushover geek that doesn't know how to talk to a stranger.

Also, if I had to live somewhere where my neighbors would just show up at my door at all hours unannounced, I would shoot myself.
I guess its just me. I am quite bookish and have very little of a social life at this moment in time.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM

203 posts, read 721,386 times
I'd rather experience this so called Seattle "freeze" than the faux-friendly, aversive, theological, passive aggressive behaviour that i encountered in Salt Lake City.. any day! At least it's easy to know where you stand with people here. Maybe it's because i've been around and came back here, and this is how i grew up.. i don't know. Is this "freeze" something imports tend to experience more?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM

947 posts, read 1,646,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuturbo View Post
I'd rather experience this so called Seattle "freeze" than the faux-friendly, aversive, theological, passive aggressive behaviour that i encountered in Salt Lake City.. any day! At least it's easy to know where you stand with people here. Maybe it's because i've been around and came back here, and this is how i grew up.. i don't know. Is this "freeze" something imports tend to experience more?
Absolutely, transplants experience it and there definitely is a great divide between the locals and transplants. Transplants are willing to invite locals into their circle, however, locals won't invite transplants into their circle.

While we are chatting about all of this. Let's get off the topic of the weather and talk about something with some more serious implications related to the freeze- the freeze in the medical community in Seattle.

I fired 4 primary care doctors in 3 years while living in Seattle. All 4 were from the area and schooled there as well. All were pretty arrogant and did not listen to me and unfortunately I paid a dear price for it. I had to file complaints with the state and my insurance company. I had one doctor refuse to write a lab order for a simple blood test for food poisoning that myself and others on a business trip contracted. Two others had already been positively diagnosed with a test, we all had the same symptoms. He refused to return my phone calls for a week and then insisted I come to the office (350.00) before he would give me the order. I had ask my old doctor from the east coast to do me a favor and order the test. He did and I also tested positive.

I have seen three other doctors while in Seattle that were not arrogant and really listened to me. All three were not from Seattle originally and were educated either on the east coast or in California.

I have a friend who is an ER nurse who moved to Seattle last year. She is appauled at how attempted suicide patients are treated. Basically, they are fixed up and shown the door since Seattle does not have adequate mental health services. She tells me that some doctors have actually said to these patients " you didn't do it right, maybe next time you'll get it right." She was completely floored. Such a shame that the city and King County finish last in the country for mental health services yet they are also one of the wealthiest cities/counties in the country.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,062,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Absolutely, transplants experience it and there definitely is a great divide between the locals and transplants. Transplants are willing to invite locals into their circle, however, locals won't invite transplants into their circle.

While we are chatting about all of this. Let's get off the topic of the weather and talk about something with some more serious implications related to the freeze- the freeze in the medical community in Seattle.

I fired 4 primary care doctors in 3 years while living in Seattle. All 4 were from the area and schooled there as well. All were pretty arrogant and did not listen to me and unfortunately I paid a dear price for it. I had to file complaints with the state and my insurance company. I had one doctor refuse to write a lab order for a simple blood test for food poisoning that myself and others on a business trip contracted. Two others had already been positively diagnosed with a test, we all had the same symptoms. He refused to return my phone calls for a week and then insisted I come to the office (350.00) before he would give me the order. I had ask my old doctor from the east coast to do me a favor and order the test. He did and I also tested positive.

I have seen three other doctors while in Seattle that were not arrogant and really listened to me. All three were not from Seattle originally and were educated either on the east coast or in California.

I have a friend who is an ER nurse who moved to Seattle last year. She is appauled at how attempted suicide patients are treated. Basically, they are fixed up and shown the door since Seattle does not have adequate mental health services. She tells me that some doctors have actually said to these patients " you didn't do it right, maybe next time you'll get it right." She was completely floored. Such a shame that the city and King County finish last in the country for mental health services yet they are also one of the wealthiest cities/counties in the country.
Be careful with your generalizations. I'm a native and have many transplants in my circle of friends, as do all of my native friends.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Be careful with your generalizations. I'm a native and have many transplants in my circle of friends, as do all of my native friends.
There are always exceptions to the rule and you my friend would be one of those exceptions. I work for a global company and 90% of our team in Seattle came from other areas. All had the same experience. I moved into a brand new apartment building in the city- all tenants moved in at the same time, all transplants and all met with the exact same freeze.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I guess my next question to you would be who invited who in to their circle?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I would also think that there are enough transplants to find each other and get a life together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area