Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I have no idea. But my point is really that it is distasteful to accuse someone of 'acting' a specific race because it implies that all people of a certain race act in a particular manner. People are individuals and they should have the choice to act in way and live their lives consistent with their personal values. I really hate it when people will say things like "Lakeisha's not really black because she does well in school and is on her way to becoming a CPA" What the hell does that mean? Black people don't do well in school and become CPA's?

I have a really good friend that has been accused of "acting white" since she was a little girl (she's now 40) because she always did well in school, went to college and is now a high earning professional. It drove her nuts and still drives her nuts. And too often I've heard of trashy white girls being accused of acting black. What's the implication? That blacks are naturally trashy of course. Again, a really offensive stereotype.
I know this feeling all to well. I get told that I "act white" all the time or my personal favorite, I "talk white" WTF? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 AM

132 posts, read 454,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1979 View Post
where does the word wigger come from?
mod cut: A white person that tries to act in a manner that is commonly stereotyped as "black".

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-03-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 PM

93 posts, read 307,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_blade View Post
As far as real gang activity, California is milleniums worse than Seattle. Cities like Oakland, Compton, and Santa Ana far exceed any area in washington state.
Now the point about the wannabe's I could possibly agree that there is a shocking number of them in the greater Seattle area...In fact most surprising is driving out to smaller towns such as Lake Stevens and seeing wannabes hanging out in front of the 7-11.
I know that in Orange County, CA there really are not too many wannabes, real gangbangers yes, but no wannabes and I actually came up with a theory on that which is that most wannabes are white guys trying to act black or mexican, and in that area of the country white guys are actually minorities...and I think that being a minority kind of opens their eyes to the idea that it would be foolish to try to act like someone else...instead they try to preserve their own identities as white guys. Thats my theory anyways.
When I met Seattle's entire gang unit (5 people), they told me that any gang member who moves to Seattle from LA is automatically revered as a god of sorts.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
"When I met Seattle's entire gang unit (5 people), they told me that any gang member who moves to Seattle from LA is automatically revered as a god of sorts."

How pathetic that society has to deal with corruption like that and people that are absolute garbage like that. Society shouldnt have to deal with gang members, crime, violence, and things like that. Its truly pathetic some people get into corruption like that.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
"When I met Seattle's entire gang unit (5 people), they told me that any gang member who moves to Seattle from LA is automatically revered as a god of sorts."

How pathetic that society has to deal with corruption like that and people that are absolute garbage like that. Society shouldnt have to deal with gang members, crime, violence, and things like that. Its truly pathetic some people get into corruption like that.
This is partly societies fault. Not saying that excuses it but; when a society discriminates and keeps certain groups out of the mainstream economy (in the US's case, blacks, hispanics and to a lesser extent Italians), those groups create their own underground economy, usually through illegal activity. Once that seed is planted it's hard stop that tree from growing.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
There is this van gang that used to exist near the last place i lived. The van would drop them off in droves. Apparently, their color was white because they all had white hair. They were so bad a** that they moved around really slowly. I'd be waiting behind them in line at the coffee shop and if you gave them grief for ordering slowly, they'd take even more time.

They all lived in the one 'home' too. The bus took them all back there. I'm not sure i'd want to be their neighbor.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 PM

18 posts, read 57,618 times
When I was a student at the UW I would receive webpine announcements about the occasional assault, car thefts and other weapons related charges near campus, but I have never once witnessed or heard about gang related activity anywhere in Western Washington. There is a street racer community down in Renton/Auburn, but I doubt they go around vandalizing neighborhoods out of sheer borebom.

No sir, no gangs here that I know of.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleite2007 View Post
When I was a student at the UW I would receive webpine announcements about the occasional assault, car thefts and other weapons related charges near campus, but I have never once witnessed or heard about gang related activity anywhere in Western Washington. There is a street racer community down in Renton/Auburn, but I doubt they go around vandalizing neighborhoods out of sheer borebom.

No sir, no gangs here that I know of.
I don't know how long you lived in Seattle or if you still do but in the late eighties there were drive by shootings weekly and while gang activity may not be as prevalent as it used to be, there is still gang activity throughout the city.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 AM

172 posts, read 442,147 times
You got the wannabe thugs that hangout downtown everyday, but I wouldn't say gangs. Watch gangland on tv its all about California.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch2 View Post
You got the wannabe thugs that hangout downtown everyday, but I wouldn't say gangs. Watch gangland on tv its all about California.
But a lot of that is grossly exaggerated too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area