Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to sound flip in my attempt at humor. As a matter of fact, I lived in the CD from 1985 to 1998 at the very time crack was having it's heydey, and there was crack dealing and gang activity on the block I lived on.

But I'll repeat my belief: Most people living in Seattle are not directly impacted by gang activity. If you are directly impacted by it, it can be a horrible thing. But the OP made it sound like you can't walk around any neighborhood in Seattle without being threatened, and that's just not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
If you take a look at my post on Yakima....the helpful young girl at the Days' Inn colored half the town "off limits" on my map. I find it interesting that you mention doing the same thing.

Someone even posted THIS:

And that is just freaking scary.

I lived in that pink part. Peachtree Lane, actually.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Not a pigeon.....

Local News | Bellevue gang member sentenced to more than 16 years in prison | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 06-14-2008, 12:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Gangs do exist in Seattle and its suburbs. Gang violence does happen in this area but it is nothing compared to many big cities across the country.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 PM

132 posts, read 390,365 times
Well I can see how it would be kinda "hard" out in Tacoma near the Hilltop area or the South side of Tacoma. My boyfriend has actually seen someone shot out there and lotsa gang activity. But that was back in the 90's. But also when I was working in Kent (believe it or not..) there was a drive by at my work and I almost got hit! The cops were surprised that I didnt, it was so close. We all know that Seattle is not as crazy as Cali, or NY but its got its moments. I think everywhere does though.. So no, I wouldnt say you made a mistake moving here. Where did you live before? Because when im in Seattle, I actually feel safer then lots of places in WA.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamama View Post
Well I can see how it would be kinda "hard" out in Tacoma near the Hilltop area or the South side of Tacoma. My boyfriend has actually seen someone shot out there and lotsa gang activity. But that was back in the 90's. But also when I was working in Kent (believe it or not..) there was a drive by at my work and I almost got hit! The cops were surprised that I didnt, it was so close. We all know that Seattle is not as crazy as Cali, or NY but its got its moments. I think everywhere does though.. So no, I wouldnt say you made a mistake moving here. Where did you live before? Because when im in Seattle, I actually feel safer then lots of places in WA.
People were definitely scared of Hilltop in the '90s. I remember hanging out at a friends's house one night in high school and I was wearing a Chicago Bulls Starter jacket. Someone heard of a party going on in Hilltop and some of us were talking about going, but one dude said he wouldn't go there with that jacket I had on. I've never even been out there, far as I know.

I went to a Stadium High School football game one Friday night and they had a helicopter flying over for part of the time. That was enough to keep me out of Tacoma, for the most part. Seriously...I can get paranoid like that though. LOL

Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,528 times
"I actually only lived in W.Sea(Alki) for the first year that I lived here but spent most all of my time there and is was the quietest most safe feeling part of the city"

I don't think people would say Alki is dangerous, but SW Seattle maybe more so.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 17,528 times
I live at Rainier Ave and MLK and don't feel like there is a gang issue. Sure there is crime. I mean I see people selling drugs everyday in the same exact spot, but you don't bother people they don't bother you is the norm.

When I lived in Federal Way I got my car broken into 3 times in 6 months. In our apartment here my wife left our car door unlocked a few times with my MP3 player sitting on the seat and in the morning still there.

I think many people confuse "gang activity" with young people dressing a certain way.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Unless the news sources and law enforcement people in Seattle are very liberal with the use of the word gangs, then I would have to agree that there is a large number of "gang" activity. Read the news.

-today an officer was beaten up in Seattle and gang units have been called in
-article in Seattle PI about 2 unsolved murders in Belltown and Seattle with both being attributed to gangs
-shooting in Everett/Lynnwood a week ago with gang ties.

everyday in the Seattle news there is at least one story involving gangs

Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Over 3 million people live in the area...there are bound to be gangs. I don't know that it is any better or worse than other cities the same size that I have lived in (Denver, DFW). But what do I know, I live out in the boondocks of Sammamish and stick mostly to the well trafficked areas of downtown Seattle...though we did try to take our kids bowling and exited Rainier Ave off I-90 and went south. It was broad daylight and a little sketchy but we didn't even get a look walking into the place. I felt okay in the daytime but def. would not want to be there at night. I have also been told to avoid Southcenter, Tukwila and SoSea and even Belltown at nighttime. I don't have any reason to be there anyway as a mother of two but I imagine there are gangs there. Worse than other cities? I noticed more news about it in Denver in the early 90's than I do here right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area