Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,939 times

Advertisements

Walmart customer ahead in the 20 item line..........person behind her askes "how many items do you have?"
Answer: "I don't know I don't have time to take off my shoes!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Yeah, this doesn't happen just in Wal-Mart. But as for the shopping there, I don't anymore. I found I always left there angry! Too many people, too much noise and not enough customer service. 4 months now and I don't miss it! And I realize they won't miss me either!
We used to shop there all the time, but I quit shopping at Wal-Mart unless I need something after Target closes that is not available at our grocery store. And I hate it every time I go. Long lines, few cashiers and even if there is an express line open, it is backed up too. Now I spend less than 5% of what we used to spend at Wal-Mart.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
[cash register emits a loud beep]

Check-out associate: "Sorry, sir/ma'am, but this is a 20 item line and my cash register stops after 20 items. You'll have to pay for the first 20, then go back to the end of the line and let these other folks get checked through, then I can ring up your final items."

As a customer, it's not the end of the world if the guy in front of me exceeds the limit. They scan the stuff through so quickly, what's the difference anyway? 5 more items are scanned in about 5 seconds.

Sometimes at the local supermarket, if the 12-item lane is completely empty and I've got about 15-20 items, I'll just go there and sheepishly say "I think I've got more than 12 items here; is that OK?" and they always say "Oh it's no problem at all" and ring it up.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
But would you get in that line if you had 40 items? I think this is what people are complaining about not people with a few items over the limit.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
The problem is that without knowing if the person just walked onto the express line with the excess items or was invited onto the line. I have been at Krogers when the express line wasn't busy and an associate would come by and pull the next cart in line over to the express line to check out. Anyone coming afterwards onto the express lines may not have seen the associate's actions and would be wrong to think the shopper was at fault.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
I was in Walmart on Friday with two items, my sister five. I wasnt paying attention to the lady with the shopping cart in front of me until I noticed she kept putting items on the check out counter. OBVIOUSLY
she was way over the 20 item limit.
I asked her if she could read and her response was Walmart didnt have enough checkers. That may be true, but she is the one buying all that junk food so go stand in the other line/ She was VERY much a Walmart shopper (if you have seen those pictures posted all the time showing Walmart shoppers) and she thought she was so smart. So what if she gets mad, people like her only shop at Walmart. Why does Walmart not enforce their policy? After she left, the checker was very polite and apologized. Hey it is not her fault some people are rude and "ignert". If it doesnt matter how many items you have in the basket and Walmart isnt going to help people with a few items get in and out fast, they might as well take the sign down. AND that goes for the 10 items or less line too!!!

Might be obvious to you. After seeing some Walmart shoppers, I would be suprised if they could count higher then 5.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,107 times
I have not been in a Walmart store in probably 10 years. Every time I used to go I would get aggravated and pissed off. If it wasn't the shoppers with their entire extended families hogging the isles it was the dirty store and long lines. I decided it just wasn't worth the aggravation so I've never gone back.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
I observe the item limit on lines, and have often been at the grocery store, checked my basket, realized that I was over, and went to stand in the "regular" line while the "express" line was empty. Several times, the "express" cashier would wave me over, to speed things along.

Almost every time the cashier would do that, though, someone would come in behind me in a moment or two and glare at me, thinking that I am a rude, ignorant, selfish creature who can't count to 12. One time, a man loudly said, "Hey, lady, can't you count?" (I had 14 items.) I was embarrassed, but before I could answer, the cashier spoke up and said, "Sir, I didn't have anyone in my lane and invited her over. If you're in a hurry, Customer Service will be happy to ring you up." Nice kid -- I told the manager how much I appreciated him sticking up for me. :-)

Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
I was in Walmart on Friday with two items, my sister five. I wasnt paying attention to the lady with the shopping cart in front of me until I noticed she kept putting items on the check out counter. OBVIOUSLY
she was way over the 20 item limit. I asked her if she could read and her response was Walmart didnt have enough checkers. That may be true, but she is the one buying all that junk food so go stand in the other line/ She was VERY much a Walmart shopper (if you have seen those pictures posted all the time showing Walmart shoppers) and she thought she was so smart. So what if she gets mad, people like her only shop at Walmart. Why does Walmart not enforce their policy? After she left, the checker was very polite and apologized. Hey it is not her fault some people are rude and "ignert". If it doesnt matter how many items you have in the basket and Walmart isnt going to help people with a few items get in and out fast, they might as well take the sign down. AND that goes for the 10 items or less line too!!!
The checker should have not checked her out, its on him.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 AM

283 posts, read 375,418 times
Quote:
I asked her if she could read and her response was Walmart didnt have enough checkers.
To be honest, my response would have been far less charitable if someone suddenly asked me something like that, regardless of what line I was in.

At any rate, the chronic lack of cashiers at practically every single Walmart I've shopped is what led me to not shop there unless I absolutely had to. Getting in and out of Target and the grocery stores is a lot faster than Wally World, plus the self checkout machines themselves are slow and generally a pain to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
When I go to Wal Mart and pickup no more than 4 items, I shoot over to the electronics area where there is a checkout clerk usually with nothing to do. You can also check out at the Customer Service area.
If there's an Auto Center or Garden Center attached, you can breeze through those areas and check out there, too. I just try to do this if I have fewer than 10 or 15 items with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products