Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM

114 posts, read 172,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
too bad you had to wait, boy I bet you were steaming, huh? at least you got your revenge by ridiculing her on this public forum.
Seriously! Try relaxing a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:57 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
I was in Walmart on Friday with two items, my sister five. I wasnt paying attention to the lady with the shopping cart in front of me until I noticed she kept putting items on the check out counter. OBVIOUSLY
she was way over the 20 item limit. I asked her if she could read and her response was Walmart didnt have enough checkers. That may be true, but she is the one buying all that junk food so go stand in the other line/ She was VERY much a Walmart shopper (if you have seen those pictures posted all the time showing Walmart shoppers) and she thought she was so smart. So what if she gets mad, people like her only shop at Walmart. Why does Walmart not enforce their policy? After she left, the checker was very polite and apologized. Hey it is not her fault some people are rude and "ignert". If it doesnt matter how many items you have in the basket and Walmart isnt going to help people with a few items get in and out fast, they might as well take the sign down. AND that goes for the 10 items or less line too!!!
The irony is TOO MUCH!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,191,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Who is going to enforce it? The police? Security? the cashier?
It's a courtesy request. People should abide. But no one is going to enforce it, because it's bad for the business. They want to keep every customer - not make them angry.
Maybe if people knew it would be enforced they would not get in those lines. If of course they could read the sign.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenyc View Post
Seriously! Try relaxing a bit.
seriously, thank you for pointing this out as it appears that my original intended sarcasm was not clear enough

Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 AM

6,709 posts, read 5,939,550 times
It's the 80-20 rule. If 80% of folks respect the "express line" guideline, then the traffic flows faster, even though 20% don't, for whatever reason.

It's not a federal law or city ordinance; it's just a store rule that they hope most people will respect. In the end, everyone gets checked through and is on their way pretty quickly.

I've waited forever in express check-out lines, and I've zipped right through the regular lines; there's no rhyme or reason to it and it sometimes just depends on how fast the cashier is, or whether they have to do a price check or has to deal with food stamps and the like.

If you are behind six or seven people in the express check-out, you might be better off getting behind one giant shopping cart in a regular line because you might well make it through first. Scanning seems to be the fastest part of the operation. Then you have to wait while people fumble for their wallet, wait for change or figure out what button to press on the debit machine etc.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
FYI - it isn't just Walmart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's not just Wal-Mart. People violate the express lane limit everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Yeah, this doesn't happen just in Wal-Mart.
Quite right. This problem is found in every store of every kind everywhere on this planet that has checkout lines. The slugs that do this are of the type that believe that rules and proper conduct only apply to other people, not to them. To add to the frustration of those behind them, usually these boors are very slow in paying their bill. They only reach into their purse or wallet after every item is bagged and the cashier hands them the bill. They fumble for bills and coins if paying cash. They cannot find their credit card or if using a debit card, cannot remember their pin or even how to swipe their card, and just stand there staring with a stupid look on their face. We all run into shoppers ahead of us, regardless of the size of their purchase, or what it is, that do this, but the rule breakers seem to do it far more oftem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
[cash register emits a loud beep]

Check-out associate: "Sorry, sir/ma'am, but this is a 20 item line and my cash register stops after 20 items. You'll have to pay for the first 20, then go back to the end of the line and let these other folks get checked through, then I can ring up your final items."
Terrific idea! Only problem is that we will never see this happen. In many stores, 20 or less item lines are not found, but 15, 10, or 8 or less item lines are used. To turn on your slow burn, watch a jerk with 20 plus items casually roll into the 8 or less item line.

A policy that I would like to see in stores, but have not observed being used, is to have a CASH ONLY line for no more than 8 or 10 items. No checks, no credit cards, no debit cards, only cash accepted. Remove the scanner to stop some dolt that can't read or observe the guidelines. For those of us that wish to make a quick hit and run trip for a very few items and pay for it the old fashioned way, shopping would be a bit easier.

Last edited by BlackShoe; 12-11-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 12:36 PM

6,709 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
A policy that I would like to see in stores, but have not observed being used, is to have a CASH ONLY line for no more than 8 or 10 items. No checks, no credit cards, no debit cards, only cash accepted. Remove the scanner to stop some dolt that can't read or observe the guidelines. For those of us that wish to make a quick hit and run trip for a very few items and pay for it the old fashioned way, shopping would be a bit easier.
Some stores do have a cash-only line, or sometimes cash-or-debit only. That usually works because no one wants to wait in line only to find out they can't buy their stuff at that register.

In the near future, perhaps laser/video recognition systems will secretly scan each basket and count the items. If you exceed the limit by some large amount, a robotic voice will loudly admonish you to move to another line. Not only will you be exposed to the entire store as a cheater, but there's no one to yell at. And everyone else will be amused (and relieved that it wasn't them)!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Those signs are only meant for people who have enough class and consideration for others to obey them, and 80% of the people will. But then you get the other 20% who only care about themselves or are of such low class that they just don't give a damn about rules, and they do whatever they want.

The Walmart cashier who responded was right, Walmart would not ever support her if she told someone to go to another line. Companies speak out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to "rules." I was actually in a grocery store one time and told the person in front of me to read the sign (he had a full cart) and he moved over to the next full service line. When I got to the register the cashier said "Thank you, I am not allowed to do that !" Sometimes we have to take things into our own hands and speak up.

I also love it when the person in front of me walks away and leaves their empty cart sitting in front of me, as if the cart fairy is going to move it. I usually say "Excuse me, you forgot your cart" and push it toward them. It's terrific to see the look on their face, as if they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Don

Old 12-12-2013, 05:17 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Cash only? Why? My CC slides through the machine faster than you can hand over and get change for your cash.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 AM

19,529 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Me too but I usually only use them if the wait is really really short vs. the regular lines. I keep getting this feeling that the more I use them the more likely I'm slowly eliminating someone's job......

As for the topic of this thread, they really shouldn't have such a checkout if it won't be enforced.
The self-checkouts are in some Walmarts but not all of them. I knew of one that had them but just like those hand-carrying baskets, they took them out.

Self-checkouts reason: one store rep said, people don't use them much. Hand-carrying baskets reason: told people steal them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products