Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,090 times

Advertisements

Self checkouts should only be used by people who have actually run a register for a living. I hate watching idiots who have no clue how the scanner works holding up the self check line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
. Hand-carrying baskets reason: told people steal them.
I once worked in a grocery store where we had to order a stck of hand baskets every few months because people would steal them. You could watch the stack slowly shrink over time.

One night, when we were out of baskets, someone came in and asked where the baskets were. He got super ticked off when I said we didn't have any. He said we weren't doing a good job of serving the public and stomped out.

Of course, if his vaunted public hadn't stolen them all, he'd have had one. Not sure why he couldn't have just used a buggy.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:57 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I once worked in a grocery store where we had to order a stck of hand baskets every few months because people would steal them. You could watch the stack slowly shrink over time.

One night, when we were out of baskets, someone came in and asked where the baskets were. He got super ticked off when I said we didn't have any. He said we weren't doing a good job of serving the public and stomped out.

Of course, if his vaunted public hadn't stolen them all, he'd have had one. Not sure why he couldn't have just used a buggy.
He wanted to steal one, obviously!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I had a disastrous and funny encounter with a self checkout the other day. I didn't hold anyone up but the whole thing was so overly complicated, separate machines for this and that, looking things up on the produce menu, not having bags, putting things down where I shouldn't have, large items and no handheld scanners, etc. The person charged with watching over the checkouts had to close one down and move me to another when even they couldn't clear out a mistake that was made.

I'm techy, but unless I'm just buying a can of soup I'll stick to the regular checkouts from now on. And most people respect our "15 items or less" lanes, although I've snuck in with 20 before .

Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 AM

19,532 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I once worked inH a grocery store where we had to order a stck of hand baskets every few months because people would steal them. You could watch the stack slowly shrink over time.

Why use a "buggy" when all I've thought of buying would barely cover the
bottom but still be more items than I care to handle without doing a balancing act?
I don't want to maneuver the aisles with a cart that often has sticky wheels or pulls to one particular direction either. Target has no major problem that I've noticed keeping their hand carrying baskets but
yet, Walmart does. How is that? If there was a [Super] Target in the direction I was going in, chances are, that's where I would go but there isn't. Even so, as mentioned in various other threads, maybe here as well, one can not always find everything they're looking for in the store. Depending on circumstances, you may have to enter another store which is why you don't need to lug around a buggy or cart.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
Our two walmarts here won't enforce the handicap parking spaces or keep the greeters there to possibly stop shoplifters much less enforce the 20 limit lines. People are getting out of control with non respect for others.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 AM

19,532 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Self-checkouts error: "unexpected item in bagging area" when there's NO reason for it. Drives me nuts and makes customers mad.

Ha, ha, same here.
I only come across that in a couple different stores but can't specifically recall which ones they are at this moment, just their physical location. Other places if they offer them and I have those few items which would not seem like it would cause me any difficulties getting thru, I'd use in a heartbeat. 9/10, it works like a charm.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Our two walmarts here won't enforce the handicap parking spaces or keep the greeters there to possibly stop shoplifters much less enforce the 20 limit lines. People are getting out of control with non respect for others.
Exactly. Our society is breaking down and the barbarians are taking over.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Self-checkouts error: "unexpected item in bagging area" when there's NO reason for it. Drives me nuts and makes customers mad.

Ha, ha, same here.
I only come across that in a couple different stores but can't specifically recall which ones they are at this moment, just their physical location. Other places if they offer them and I have those few items which would not seem like it would cause me any difficulties getting thru, I'd use in a heartbeat. 9/10, it works like a charm.
The scanners in my store do this ALL the time. And, yes, it drives me nuts. lol Sometimes people get mad that they have to wait for me to approve something because they don't expect to have to get approval...like for extended warranties or super glue. They start yelling, "I didn't do anything wrong!!". Well, no they didn't but they 'assume' the scanner is messing up...again. So many times they blame the scanner when it's actually 'operator error'. Mostly just not following the directions...

Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I had a disastrous and funny encounter with a self checkout the other day. I didn't hold anyone up but the whole thing was so overly complicated, separate machines for this and that, looking things up on the produce menu, not having bags, putting things down where I shouldn't have, large items and no handheld scanners, etc. The person charged with watching over the checkouts had to close one down and move me to another when even they couldn't clear out a mistake that was made.

I'm techy, but unless I'm just buying a can of soup I'll stick to the regular checkouts from now on. And most people respect our "15 items or less" lanes, although I've snuck in with 20 before .
It is really frustrating when things freeze up or break down. The last time this happened was when some guy...again!...didn't READ the sign on the scanner. It said...in BIG letters on a fluorescent GREEN sign...CARDS ONLY, NO CASH IN OR OUT. So what's he do? Uses his card but wants $100 cash back. It froze the machine and he wanted me to credit his card RIGHT NOW. I couldn't do that of course but I did give him his $100 out of my register and sent him on his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products