Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Yours might, but what about the dolts that scan their cards upside down or forget their pin, have to ask the cashier for help, and then after all that, get cash back, which adds more delay?
I said credit card, not debit...no PIN, no cash back.
I swipe while waiting for things to be scanned, as soon as I've unloaded so could insert it upside down and sideways and correctly long before the order is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina
Who is going to enforce it? The police? Security? the cashier?
It's a courtesy request. People should abide. But no one is going to enforce it, because it's bad for the business. They want to keep every customer - not make them angry.
Ya well ya know how ppl are about that!! (They usually dont UNLESS FORCED )

Old 12-15-2013, 04:11 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
It's the 80-20 rule. If 80% of folks respect the "express line" guideline, then the traffic flows faster, even though 20% don't, for whatever reason.

It's not a federal law or city ordinance; it's just a store rule that they hope most people will respect. In the end, everyone gets checked through and is on their way pretty quickly.

I've waited forever in express check-out lines, and I've zipped right through the regular lines; there's no rhyme or reason to it and it sometimes just depends on how fast the cashier is, or whether they have to do a price check or has to deal with food stamps and the like.

If you are behind six or seven people in the express check-out, you might be better off getting behind one giant shopping cart in a regular line because you might well make it through first. Scanning seems to be the fastest part of the operation. Then you have to wait while people fumble for their wallet, wait for change or figure out what button to press on the debit machine etc.
And people who do that irritate me!

They come and stand behind me with my overflowing cart and then give me that puppy dog look....."Won't you let me go in front of you?"

Ummm......NO! Go get in line at the express lane.....where you belong!

If there is no express lane open, then I will let them go ahead of me.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And people who do that irritate me!

They come and stand behind me with my overflowing cart and then give me that puppy dog look....."Won't you let me go in front of you?"

Ummm......NO! Go get in line at the express lane.....where you belong!

If there is no express lane open, then I will let them go ahead of me.
No I didn't mean they should cut in front of the person with the overflowing cart. Just that one customer with a big basket may get checked through faster than 7 customers with small purchases, so it's more worthwhile to get behind such a customer, sometimes.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I love the self-checkout and I use it whenever I can. I will put more than the 20-item limit through there if I'm shopping late at night and there's nobody waiting behind me to use the self-checkout. There are four kiosks and they have never filled up any time I have put a full cart through. I'm also pretty damn fast with it because I lay my merch out in the cart as I shop so it's organized and easy to pull out, scan, and bag.

If I was holding people up by doing this, I'd stop doing it. And one time I did swing by the self-checkouts and saw there were a lot of people using them, so I went to a regular line instead and re-bagged my groceries off to the side after their bagger crammed them into my reusable bags in REALLY weird ways. I really hate it when other people bag my groceries. I have a SYSTEM.
Our self checkouts have no limits. You can scan one item or one hundred, doesn't matter. The other day I saw all four scanners being used by people who had heaping baskets of 'stuff'. That doesn't happen very often but it was a VERY busy day so they were trying to get through the fastest way they could. It isn't really all that fast when they have to have an attendant 'fix' something every minute! lol For instance, our scanners will tell them "unexpected item in bagging area" when there's NO reason for it. Drives me nuts and makes customers mad.

I am an organized shopper myself. I'm very picky about how my things are bagged and don't WANT to have to 'redo' it later. Ugh. Some folks don't seem to care but the older ones sure do! lol I haven't had any complaints about how I bag for my customers and I do for them like I would for me.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:29 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Our self checkouts have no limits. You can scan one item or one hundred, doesn't matter. The other day I saw all four scanners being used by people who had heaping baskets of 'stuff'. That doesn't happen very often but it was a VERY busy day so they were trying to get through the fastest way they could. It isn't really all that fast when they have to have an attendant 'fix' something every minute! lol For instance, our scanners will tell them "unexpected item in bagging area" when there's NO reason for it. Drives me nuts and makes customers mad.

I am an organized shopper myself. I'm very picky about how my things are bagged and don't WANT to have to 'redo' it later. Ugh. Some folks don't seem to care but the older ones sure do! lol I haven't had any complaints about how I bag for my customers and I do for them like I would for me.
Bagging groceries... that's really a whole topic unto itself!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
No I didn't mean they should cut in front of the person with the overflowing cart. Just that one customer with a big basket may get checked through faster than 7 customers with small purchases, so it's more worthwhile to get behind such a customer, sometimes.
I knew what you meant.

I am talking about the people who do that and then try to catch your attention......like you should feel guilty and let them go ahead of you.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Express lanes are not enforceable, they are courtesy lanes for shoppers with few items. Those that abuse the courtesy are the problem, not the store employees.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
If employee did enforce it there would a cat five spaz attack. When you're only making $8 an hour its not worth it.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I really do not recall ever having this problem at either Target or Walmart.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products