Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:29 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Cash only? Why? My CC slides through the machine faster than you can hand over and get change for your cash.
Yours might, but what about the dolts that scan their cards upside down or forget their pin, have to ask the cashier for help, and then after all that, get cash back, which adds more delay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,817 times
I admit that I do get frustrated, especially when I have perishable items, but how long does it take for the checker to scan the extra items? Twenty seconds? Thirty seconds? It's doubtful, but maybe they didn't even notice the sign. Live and let live. You're not perfect, either.

Yesterday a woman with a crying baby was in the express line in front of me. She had more than 20 items but I would have allowed her to get in line ahead of me if she had not been there already. Why? Because at that moment her need was greater than mine to get out of that store.

I believe in having rules, just like nearly everyone else. I also believe that there can be exceptions to those rules. I also consider the total negative impact upon a person or society when a rule is broken, and violating the 20 item limit barely meets the threshold. Besides, if a person is that arrogant, ignorant, classless, or however else you would label that behavior, you will not change their mindset by making an issue of it.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
The self-checkouts are in some Walmarts but not all of them. I knew of one that had them but just like those hand-carrying baskets, they took them out.

Self-checkouts reason: one store rep said, people don't use them much. Hand-carrying baskets reason: told people steal them.
Yeah, same thing at my local Walmart grocery store, the baskets keep disappearing ! Must take a really classy person to steal one of those. Probably using them for cribs.

Don

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,772 times
Default all stores

walmart is not bad, the worst are these dollar stores, yes the stuff is cheap and you find what you need but then you spend endless time at the checkout line. penny pinchers who argue over every price, old people who talk to the cashier like she some long lost relative, i've see people fill up a shopping cart full of stuff go to the cashier then look through their pockets to see if they have any money!! I dont know how the cashiers at these stores can stand it. i'd go crazy in 5 minutes.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
I was in Walmart on Friday with two items, my sister five. I wasnt paying attention to the lady with the shopping cart in front of me until I noticed she kept putting items on the check out counter. OBVIOUSLY
she was way over the 20 item limit. I asked her if she could read and her response was Walmart didnt have enough checkers. That may be true, but she is the one buying all that junk food so go stand in the other line/ She was VERY much a Walmart shopper (if you have seen those pictures posted all the time showing Walmart shoppers) and she thought she was so smart. So what if she gets mad, people like her only shop at Walmart. Why does Walmart not enforce their policy? After she left, the checker was very polite and apologized. Hey it is not her fault some people are rude and "ignert". If it doesnt matter how many items you have in the basket and Walmart isnt going to help people with a few items get in and out fast, they might as well take the sign down. AND that goes for the 10 items or less line too!!!
Not sure why you keep putting down Walmart shoppers when YOU were in Walmart. Anyway... Walmart is a business that obviously caters to its customers. No, people with a ton of stuff should not be in the 20 items or less aisle, but you are more likely to see what happened just the way you did. They don't want to upset their customers and kick them out of line. Usually the best means of stopping this is the people waiting in line confronting the person before they actually start checking out.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:51 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Maybe if people knew it would be enforced they would not get in those lines. If of course they could read the sign.
People don't read signs. This is proven to me every day. There are times when a self checkout scanner will mess up and will ONLY take cards...debit or credit...and NO cash in or out. There ARE signs on the scanner and we've even gone so far as to put something over the cash slot but people will actually MOVE it to try to insert cash. The other night some guy used his card and then wanted $100 cash back. It froze the scanner up.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
The self-checkouts are in some Walmarts but not all of them. I knew of one that had them but just like those hand-carrying baskets, they took them out.

Self-checkouts reason: one store rep said, people don't use them much. Hand-carrying baskets reason: told people steal them.
They'll never take our self scanners out. They are way too busy. And you're right...people DO steal those hand baskets. When we remodeled my store we had hundreds of the things but over time they disappeared. We have more now and I wonder how long it'll take them to walk out.

Shopping carts and hand baskets are a peeve of mine, in a way. People just walk off and leave them and we have no place to put them and can't leave our register to return them. When they ask me what to do with the hand baskets I just ask if I can "sweet talk" them into dropping it off on their way out. Haven't had anyone refuse yet.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Yours might, but what about the dolts that scan their cards upside down or forget their pin, have to ask the cashier for help, and then after all that, get cash back, which adds more delay?
This goes on all day long. It's just part of the 'experience'. lol

Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,927 times
Why do people do that ?

Because many are inconsiderate jerks who never were taught manners !

A couple years ago a writer for a newspaper's food section wrote in her column that she needed a lot of butter for baking Christmas cookies.

She stated the supermarket had a certain brand of butter real cheap with a sign..........."limit 2 lbs "

She bragged how she took the remaining 16 pounds and went to self checkout and checked them out as 8 separate orders.

When a letter to the paper questioned her ethics, nearly all the internet coments supported her actions.

Many people no longer care if they screw over others to get what they want.

Sad !

Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I like them too for when I'm in a hurry. When I do my own shopping I will use them because I don't like the way most cashiers bag my 'stuff'. I'm picky about it and they aggravate me. lol
I love the self-checkout and I use it whenever I can. I will put more than the 20-item limit through there if I'm shopping late at night and there's nobody waiting behind me to use the self-checkout. There are four kiosks and they have never filled up any time I have put a full cart through. I'm also pretty damn fast with it because I lay my merch out in the cart as I shop so it's organized and easy to pull out, scan, and bag.

If I was holding people up by doing this, I'd stop doing it. And one time I did swing by the self-checkouts and saw there were a lot of people using them, so I went to a regular line instead and re-bagged my groceries off to the side after their bagger crammed them into my reusable bags in REALLY weird ways. I really hate it when other people bag my groceries. I have a SYSTEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products