Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:13 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Not always the case. My wife used to work for a company in Massachusetts and Wal-Mart was the biggest buyer of their company products (about 1/3 of their total overall sales were to Wal-Mart.)

Wal-Mart basically told them around 10-11 years ago that instead of shipping their items from Massachusetts to somewhere in the US, all of their goods would first need to go through Guangzhou in China. So, they would either need to ship their items from their factory in Massachusetts to China, where they would then be shipped back to the US, or else they would need to find a manufacturer in China.

Now, there was no difference between the cost to manufacture the product in Massachusetts, as their factory was pretty automated and efficient, vs in China, where the products would be assembled in factories that were much less efficient and clean and without much automation. Zero difference in cost.

However, the company could not afford to ship their items from Massachusetts to China, for shipment back to the US. Their choices were get rid of the US manufacturing and save the jobs of management, sales, marketing and operations, or else go out of business completely. So, they laid off their 400 or so factory workers (it may have been more than that?) and started manufacturing the same products in China.

The company eventually moved from Massachusetts (where they had been for over 100 years) to Tennessee.
I don't doubt your story, but I have to wonder if there is more to it that you and your wife might not be aware of (from Wal-Mart's perspective). I don't know the product, but my initial thought is that China is the main shipping hub for their goods worldwide and they wanted you to ship the goods there and then they would distribute them throughout the world and not just to the US. It also could be that your product is mainly sold overseas and occasionally sold here in the states.

It does suck that the plant ended up laying off 400 people, but business is business. When 1/3 of your eggs are in a single basket, you are at the mercy of the basket being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I don't get it. Every Walmart I've been to is rather nice and clean. I can always find what I want and the prices are nice. It's no Saks Fifth Avenue or any upscale store, but it's certainly a lot better than my local Kmart store!

Why does everyone hate on Walmart so much, especially when so many of the "haters" tend to shop there? Is it because a lot of poor people shop there? Is it because the store doesn't pay their employees that much? Most retail stores DON'T pay their employees much to begin with, but these jobs are really meant for part-time supplemental income and/or kids to get their feet wet in the job market.
I do not like to shop any where else but Wal-Mart.
Best over all value for my dollars.

As of Sep 30 2014 Wal-Mart has 4965 stores just in the U.S. no counting other countries.

They employ millions people. Over 1% of the U.S. population works their.

Every store has to have 1000's of shoppers to buy things in order to keep them profitable,
and they do not hate Wal-Mart either.

Lord will ... I will stay with Wal-Mart ! ! !

Old 10-30-2014, 02:19 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I do not like to shop any where else but Wal-Mart.
Best over all value for my dollars.

As of Sep 30 2014 Wal-Mart has 4965 stores just in the U.S. no counting other countries.

They employ millions people. Over 1% of the U.S. population works their.

Every store has to have 1000's of shoppers to buy things in order to keep them profitable,
and they do not hate Wal-Mart either.

Lord will ... I will stay with Wal-Mart ! ! !

more Walmart employees on Medicaid, food stamps than other companies

Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytlh View Post
I don't shop at Walmart. I've heard enough about their labor practices to feel that the low prices I can get there come at the expense of poorly treated employees. I also think their corporate policy is free-loading on the American public by having such a high percentage of workers who need to be on government aid. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to shop other places, so I do.
You've swallowed the union propaganda hook, line and sinker. Walmart is no different than any other big box store, and most retailers in general. They all pay low or minimum wages; they all hire mostly part time and very few offer any form of fringe benefits. Walmart is actually better than most in that regard.

But whatever. If you want to pay more for the exact same things, that's your choice, and I'll be laughing at you all the way to the bank.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:25 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,947 times
I don't hate it I just think its reached the peak of its bell curve. They got so big that now its more about trying to stay big than innovating and growing.
Lately I will go in the newer Dollar Generals they have built around here, they have more stuff in them like beer and hamburger meat now. Yes, I am fairly poor at the moment but hopefully will start a new career soon. The new DG's really aren't that bad though imo.
If I want something really dirt cheap and I'm not in a hurry the internet makes it very easy to reach Chinese sellers myself these days

Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM

304 posts, read 344,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
The issue with Walmart is multifold, and not solely to blame on Walmart itself.

Walmart and Kmart and the Old Woolworth Stores all used the same modeling. Previously, they all bought from Japan.
When China opened its doors wide, Walmart beat the others at the game, they went their sewed up contract, but walmart began to add another element to the game. They would threaten producers and suppliers, with contract cancellation if it gave the same cut rate deals to any competetors or other parties. In return Walmart agreed to buy large volumes.
Next, they went from the standard big box to the Super Sized stores. Which targeted every independent business in a 20 mile or more radius. Then in later years, with the Supersizied stores they targeted the groceriers in the region.

They also made encroaching threats to force their presence in places they were not wanted.

American product producers and manufactuers could not get their products on Walmart Store shelves. They bulldozed over small town politicians who were not savvy enough to know the art of negotation, so Walmart became skilled at "surrounding small metro's with 150-400K+ populations.

It promised thing it had no intent to deliver, such as 'open registers", "functional wages and good working conditions". but time proved different, Walmart had gender bias in its pay system, it abused employees rights and work rules" and failed to provide employees with a respectful and function benefit program. It offered employees "profit sharing", but to avert paying the Profit Share, it used the profit to further expand, so there was less profit on the books to share with employees.

The list can go on and on and on. The visibility of devastated communities, devastated small business is and will continue to be seen where ever Walmart builds.

Products are generally "non Repairable", thus requiring one to repurchase, the list of challenges posed is many, and among many individuals, there can be many stories.

What you won't find is Walmart in any area where people in the $140K a year and upwards communities. These communities will not allow it anywhere close to where they live.

Walmart killed many cities business sector, almost as many small cities were devastated by Walmart as there were cities devastated by the creation of the Freeway system in the 1950's and 1960's when traffic was diverted around and away from the cities of which traffice use to flow through.
I used to shop at Walmart for everything. Several months ago, I made the switch back to my local supermarket.

I got tired of looking for items in Walmart that weren't there anymore, packed aisles, only a couple of check lanes open, rude staff. Then I watched the documentary about how corporate Walmart operates, and that was the final straw for me.

When I go into the supermarket or mom and pop stores, I'm often greeted by name. They have superior customer service. I know the money they make supports their families, many of whom I know. There is no gender discrimination for hours, promotions, or pay. Some items may be made in foreign countries, but aren't made as cheaply, and illegally in sweatshops, such as Walmart.

Many communities are now fighting against Walmart, not wanting them in their cities. The stores do more harm than good. Walmart wants enormous tax breaks, and infrastructure completion to place a store, but in turn give very little back to the community in which they are located. Check out all previous links. Do some research. I shopped there for years, I don't go in there unless there is no other place.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:09 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Walmart and "Made in China" are practically synonymous - Walmart imports over 70% of its merchandise from China
You listed few items and half of them are Hallmark related. Walmart does not prosper from Hallmark sales. Those items are shelf space fillers. The majority of products are made in China or around - from clothing, shoes, household items, toys, electronics, canned food, pet food, fabrics... etc.
The company searches the world for the cheapest goods possible, and this usually means buying from low-wage factories overseas. Walmart boasts of direct relationships with nearly 20,000 Chinese suppliers. What's about their relationship with American suppliers? Walmart is also known for lobbying for policies that make it easier to move U.S. jobs overseas.
China might be not the sole source of Walmart goods: the company also imports from Bangladesh, Honduras, Cambodia, and a host of other countries, but their products are majority.
To comply with Walmart very low prices, many domestic suppliers were forced to lower wages, cut benefits, aggressively fight employee efforts to unionize and bargain collectively, and skimp on worker comfort and safety, because Walmart was willing to buy U.S.-made goods - so long as they were as cheap as imports, which, of course, they weren't. And Walmart's growing control of the grocery sector is pushing down wages throughout food production. Therefore some products that are actually made in USA are of low quality, made with inferior ingredients and not any better that the Chinese junk.
Remember "Unacceptable Ingredients for Food" on the Black List maintained by Whole Foods? Walmart does not ban any of the ingredients on Whole Foods’ restricted list, and about 60% of food items sold at a Walmart would be prohibited at Whole Foods. Of the soft drinks sold at Walmart, about 97% contain ingredients that Whole Foods considers "unacceptable". Now tell me about how healthy is the food at Walmart.

OP don't be sure that all the products marked with an American flag, are actually made here. You may see products with an "USA" symbol printed on the label, but close look might reveal a fine print said "engineered in the U.S" Made in China - because it's OK to display USA-associated imagery without actually being manufactured in the United States.

Last edited by elnina; 10-31-2014 at 03:04 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 03:45 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
My stepdaughter decorates cakes at a Texas Wal-Mart.
At least she ain't working at a strip club.
Chris Rock said if you're a dad and your daughter is a stripper, you screwed up. I don't feel much different, however. (But strippers don't have to work 14-hr days on holidays and probably have more rights.)
She's worked there a few years, is in her mid-20's, and everytime we talk to her about her pay and benefits and crazy hours and total lack of rights from her boss, she now says "that's the way all jobs are."
Mine ain't. Nor my wife's.
I'm half expecting her, next time we see her, to light up a Salem, pop open a Keystone Light, and start playing Johnny Paycheck records while griping about the "salt mines."
I love her and fear for her soul and her future. It's been discussed, although diplomatically so. She's becoming one of the Wal-Mart pod people minions and the longer she stays, the less chance we have of saving her.
Abduction and then intervention, perhaps? I'll rent the van.

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-30-2014 at 04:28 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I don't find them particularly cheap, their stuff does not last long (I had to buy shoes from there and they fell apart as soon as I wore them!) and their workers are grumpy, underpaid and exploited. It just doesn't feel like a happy place it feels like a depressing and sad warehouse. I have a lot of nostalgia for places like Sears, Target and Kmart even though they're greedy corporations too.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:01 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Facts? Maybe. Cherry-picking to support an agenda? Definitely. Propaganda? Absolutely.

"Thanks for playing."
To reiterate, "facts."

But feel free to post all the factual info regarding how Walmart benefits ANYONE.

1. Start w something other than jobs because i as a taxpayer subsidize all of those jobs except for management and (incompetent) pharmacists.

2. And please stay away from the BS stories regarding "money to local towns." The money only pays for the increased traffic they cause.

But let's continue playing! I'd love me some "Walmart is a benefit to society" FACTS!

(I won't hold my breath. ..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products