Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Well, he was right; it wasn't a big deal.

Anyone who goes to the store on a Saturday, even a DG, and can't wait in line needs to either shop during the week or learn how to online shop. Waiting in line, delays or not, are a part of life.

I hate waiting in line as well, so I time my shopping to when the store is the least busy; especially during our season when the Qtips like to shop all day, everyday and stand in the aisles yakking or taking their sweet time at the checkout counter.
The problem is I don't mind waiting as long as I know what the situation is, and how long the delay is going to be. What I had here was a silent cashier just standing there, and a customer with her single purchase item on the counter, while she casually scrolls through pages on her smartphone. I think I know what she was doing---trying to get DG to price match the item online. But nobody was doing anything. Nothing changed over an intolerable amount of time, and no progress was being made. At least with check writers, missing bar codes, and coupon counters, I can see progress being made, and have an idea when the sale will be completed and the line moved forward. This was the strangest retail wait-in-line situation I've ever encountered.

I'm retired and really hadn't thought about it being Saturday. I wanted a pack of gum, and DG was the first store along the road. I was second in line. If the long line had existed when I entered the door, I would've turned around and gotten back in the car. Generally when your number 2 in line, you're not going to have a problem regardless of the day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:02 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
OP needs go go shopping at midnight. I worked hard for my money & I will question an item which rings up at the wrong price. I also will check for coupons. Recently, I had a coupon for $5 off $25, dairy & alcohol excluded. So I do a weekly shop, bill comes to $49, includes one gallon of milk. Stupid cashier proclaims I can't use the coupon, because I have some milk. I told her to take the milk off the bill, use the coupon, then ring up the milk. Luckily, the adjacent cashier heard us & told her to use the coupon, as I had more than $25 in non dairy purchases. So if someone was behind me & got miffed, too bad, I need my $5. It was not my fault the cashier was that dumb.
Waiting is part of life.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
OP needs go go shopping at midnight. I worked hard for my money & I will question an item which rings up at the wrong price. I also will check for coupons. Recently, I had a coupon for $5 off $25, dairy & alcohol excluded. So I do a weekly shop, bill comes to $49, includes one gallon of milk. Stupid cashier proclaims I can't use the coupon, because I have some milk. I told her to take the milk off the bill, use the coupon, then ring up the milk. Luckily, the adjacent cashier heard us & told her to use the coupon, as I had more than $25 in non dairy purchases. So if someone was behind me & got miffed, too bad, I need my $5. It was not my fault the cashier was that dumb.
Waiting is part of life.
Totally agree.

I hate waiting in lines as well, but they are a part of life. That person standing at that register has the right to take as long as they need to finish their transaction. It doesn't matter if it's 3 mins or 15 mins; those in line can either wait patiently, find another lane, or leave. There are no time limits in check out lanes.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Totally agree.

I hate waiting in lines as well, but they are a part of life. That person standing at that register has the right to take as long as they need to finish their transaction. It doesn't matter if it's 3 mins or 15 mins; those in line can either wait patiently, find another lane, or leave. There are no time limits in check out lanes.
Whatever happened to common courtesy and thinking of others? If anyone needs to shop at midnight, it's this sort of shopper - the one who insists on holding up a line for fifteen minutes while she price shops or whatever she's doing scrolling through her phone while buying ONE small item.

I don't know about everyone, but personally I'm cognizant of other shoppers. For instance, if I have a cart of stuff and someone is standing in line behind me with just a few items, I'll generally let them go ahead of me. I find coupons and discount codes and all that before I get to the register. If I'm going to pay with a check (hardly ever but occasionally it happens), I fill it out as the purchase is being rung up - I don't sit there and talk to the cashier or on my phone and then suddenly jolt "alive" and realize I need to start writing a check when I get the total, as if it's some unexpected event. Same with just getting out one's debit card - I can't believe how many people stand there obliviously till the cashier says "That will be 27.42" and they suddenly come to life and start scrambling around in their purse or wallet.

What the heck?

They may "have the right to take as long as they need" but that doesn't make it polite or rational.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
There is nothing in any store that I would wait in line for 15 minutes. Bye now.

Me either - J.C. Penney's has a new system for checking out customers. Instead of paying in the department where you made your purchase you now go up front and pay the check-out people like you do at Wal-Mart or Target. The problem is they never have enough people up there. I'm not waiting 15 minutes to check out. Target calls people up front to open more registers when there are more than 3 customers on line and that's what needs to be done at JCP. The last time I was in there I waited for around 10 minutes with the line barely moving so I just put my purchases aside and left. And they wonder why retail is in trouble? Trying to cut corners by having less employees which means customers who are actually in the brick and mortar store get tired of waiting and walk out.

In the OP's case everybody on the line should have asked for a manager or just put down their purchases and left. Maybe that would have sent the store a message.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Me either - J.C. Penney's has a new system for checking out customers. Instead of paying in the department where you made your purchase you now go up front and pay the check-out people like you do at Wal-Mart or Target. The problem is they never have enough people up there. I'm not waiting 15 minutes to check out. Target calls people up front to open more registers when there are more than 3 customers on line and that's what needs to be done at JCP. The last time I was in there I waited for around 10 minutes with the line barely moving so I just put my purchases aside and left. And they wonder why retail is in trouble? Trying to cut corners by having less employees which means customers who are actually in the brick and mortar store get tired of waiting and walk out.

In the OP's case everybody on the line should have asked for a manager or just put down their purchases and left. Maybe that would have sent the store a message.
Regarding the bolded part in pink...

Senior Management determines payroll hours. Store management does not.

So when you either 1) ask for a manager or 2) walk out of the store without purchasing anything, that does not send the message you want to send.

Writing to regional management sends the message.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:35 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
When I used to shop at Walmart, I would hate it if I had to run in before work to grab something for lunch and there would be only one cashier with a long line of people with full carts at 6:30 in the morning. I threw my crap down and left and went across the street to a regular grocery store and was in and out in 5 minutes. Walmart never has enough registers open but, they won't open the self-checkout lanes, either.

I hate when I go grocery shopping and the bagger doesn't know how to bag groceries. If I am just getting $50 worth of stuff, why do I have 15 bags with 2 or 3 things in each bag? I don't think they train them on how to bag groceries anymore. My first job was a cashier at a grocery store and we had a training class on that.

I like self-checkout but with the way people are putting skimmers on every machine, I don't trust it. i will only use self-checkout if I have cash.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Regarding the bolded part in pink...

Senior Management determines payroll hours. Store management does not.

So when you either 1) ask for a manager or 2) walk out of the store without purchasing anything, that does not send the message you want to send.

Writing to regional management sends the message.
I say do both. Any store manager worth his or her salt will pass this feedback on to "the powers that be."

Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
2) and 3) can be avoided with self check out lanes....

When THOSE work right.

I was just at Walmart last week, on my lunch break. Wanted to buy a can of spray paint, a stencil, and a sandwich.

3 lanes were open, with long long lines. Decided to do the self-check out. First I scanned the spray paint. That was easy! Then the sandwich. The sandwich that was CLEARLY MARKED AS COSTING $2.50. But the self-checkout voice didn't like that for whatever reason, and requested that I wait for assistance.

4 times it asked me to wait for assistance, and I waited.

Then I got frustrated, and I left. Because I'm a decent person, I put the sandwich back in the refrigerated section where I got it. But that's also where I put my other items as well...and I left.

Walmart is ALWAYS an exercise of frustration in one form or another for me.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When THOSE work right.

I was just at Walmart last week, on my lunch break. Wanted to buy a can of spray paint, a stencil, and a sandwich.

3 lanes were open, with long long lines. Decided to do the self-check out. First I scanned the spray paint. That was easy! Then the sandwich. The sandwich that was CLEARLY MARKED AS COSTING $2.50. But the self-checkout voice didn't like that for whatever reason, and requested that I wait for assistance.

4 times it asked me to wait for assistance, and I waited.

Then I got frustrated, and I left. Because I'm a decent person, I put the sandwich back in the refrigerated section where I got it. But that's also where I put my other items as well...and I left.

Walmart is ALWAYS an exercise of frustration in one form or another for me.
I was at Stop & Shop a couple of weeks ago, just before work. Not uncommon for me. I ran in with just my phone as I've been using Apple Pay for awhile. Got some cold cuts, rang them up, went to pay - nothing. No error, no acceptance, nothing.

No self checkout helper to be seen. Girl behind me worked there and was buying her own lunch. She kindly tried to help but was also unable to. I figured I'd go to the customer service counter. At this point I'm late for work. There is a lady back there ignoring the counter. I wait a minute and call out to her. She turns around and snaps "the lady who works here is helping someone else".

I threw everything on the counter and left and ended up eating out of the vending machine. Not a good day

(FWIW Apple Pay has worked fine since, so I don't know if it was an Apple Pay thing or a S&S thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products