Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,276 times

Advertisements

Most business do start those out without higher education at lower wages, all places do that, that is why we go to night school before we have famillies or marry and start raising children or we go to trade schools and etc and then work our way up through various jobs..."except for certain circumstances", we all should do that and not expect to make 50 grand if we are not educated and not working towards a goal in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 08:45 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Walmart is the closest and cheep. I do Wallyworld and Publix then the health food store.

I was proud of myself this week as I got out of Wallyworld for under $50....LOL. Because I live in a semi-rural setting it's really convienent and gas efficient to shop there. I buy a lot of things like filters for my heating unit because I have to replace them once a week due to allergies. Anytime I have to do repairs I check there first instead of HomeDepot or Lowes.

I won't go into the politics of the store, but I do shop there and I just make sure I do it early Sunday morning so there are no or short lines...everyone else is in church so I beat the crowds

Old 02-10-2007, 07:35 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
I have no choice but to shop at Walmart. If giving a choice? No, I would not shop or step foot in WM.

I do believe there are good walmarts and bad ones. Mine is just plain awful. I think the quality of goods - such as clothes stinks.

Sure, I can buy some stuff cheaper then my grocery store, the problem with my WM they never keep the dang shelves stocked.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 AM

206 posts, read 939,025 times
I haven't shopped at a Wal-Mart in about 7 years, never will for the rest of my life. Yes, for all the many reasons stated in previous threads. I think if more people were informed of the business practices on a local and global level of Wal-Mart they would think twice before spending their hard earned dollars there.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:53 PM

234 posts, read 786,241 times
Lorann:

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart for years and I agree with what you wrote.
Don't like Wal-Mart or their practices....Could go on and on and on about it....Claire

Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 PM

19 posts, read 55,498 times
i used to work for walmart headquarters and overall they are a great company. they do have their problems like any other company but i think people get mad at a company just because it has made it to the big leagues and then they expect the company to give it freebees all the time. I would like to ask you would you donate to the world if you won 10 milllion dollars or would you keep it for yourself walmart does not it provided alot of money to help alot of people then people sit and gripe. if walmart was not a good company then how did it get as far as it has come in the last 25 years???? oh yes and people also want to gripe about the money they make listen if it werent for walmart some of those people that work at walmart would not have a job at all most of the people that work at the stores do not have a college education i am not saying that, this is bad but why gripe why not be thankful you are making that 12,000 dollars a year??? do i work at walmart anymore no. why you ask well because of the traffic i live in fayetteville and i had a long drive to bentonville. Was that Walmart's fault ? No but I guess I could blame walmart because in my opinion you can blame anyone for anything and everything as long as the real person does not get blamed being yourself

Last edited by puckett; 02-13-2007 at 10:06 PM..

Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I love Wal-Mart, I save money shopping there and its convenient.

I also shop at Target, Costco and Publix as well.

I discovered another reason to LIKE WalMart.

The pharmacy has a list of generics perscription medications they will sell you for $4 for a months supply, assuming you have a perscription...for people who have no medical insurance.

I got a perscription filled there recently that would have cost me $60 at Walgreens, Wal-Mart charged me $4.

I have heard Target is doing the same thing.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
We shop at WM. Our little town only has a few stores and shopping is very limited. I moved here after WM came in. From what I gather, a few small stores closed, a few moved to other areas, but the rest are going strong.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Wal-Mart. Yeah, save that penny now but pay for it down the road.

Wal-Mart goes into American companies and tells them that they must lower their prices or they won't buy their products.

If Wal-Mart doesn't buy your products you are doomed so the companies start cutting corners; making the products with cheaper materials. Wal-Mart comes back and says it has to be cheaper. Eventually, companies have to close up their US factories and start making the products in China in order to meet Wal-Mart's demands. So Florence, who has been at the sprinkler factory for ten years, is now without a job.

Maybe she can get a job at Wal-Mart! She can be a door Nazi!

It's true, but no one cares. Got to save that penny.

Read the book "The Wal-Mart Effect."

Old 06-15-2007, 06:50 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
I live an hour away from the nearest WM, and that's about as close as I will ever want to be. I do shop there sometimes, but I support my local small businesses whenever possible. Yesterday, I bought a rake at the hardware store for $18. I'm sure the same rake at WalMart would have been $8, but would rather support people I know than to support WalMart, so I pay the $18.
I think there are too many WalMarts here in the US (if you have 3 in a 10 radius, that's too many IMHO), and that they DO decimate the small businesses in (some of) the areas they choose to locate stores in. Not evil, per se, but I don't see that they do much to increase the local economy or community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products