Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,900 times

Advertisements

I had no prediction for the game and honestly had no idea who was going to win. I did notice the momentum shift in overtime for Spain. Spain started to control the ball and were getting closer and closer to scoring. Very good game.

Its a shame someone had to lose... a bigger shame the World Cup is played every 4 yrs. See everyone in....2014!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:18 PM

615 posts, read 544,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I disagree. Other than the obvious RED card the Dutch should have gotten in the 1st half (kick to the chest), the Referee gave Spain this freaking game! That was an OBVIOUS corner just before they scored... not to mention ALL the other calls! Total BS....
Both team got away with some fouls, Spain probably more so. The Dutch still had chances to score though, and should have finished one, despite the fouls. The Spainards did all they could to give the Dutch the game, Dutch just couldnt finish though. Dutch remind me of the US team, just couldn't finish a play and score a goal.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,055,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Both team got away with some fouls, Spain probably more so. The Dutch still had chances to score though, and should have finished one, despite the fouls. The Spainards did all they could to give the Dutch the game, Dutch just couldnt finish though. Dutch remind me of the US team, just couldn't finish a play and score a goal.
DUDE.... You are so right about Dutch chances!! Robben should have put atleast ONE of those away!!! Man... he was freaking 1v1 with the keeper TWICE... I was screamig "chip him.. CHIP..."!! I guess he couldn't hear me!!

Another thing is that, Robben has been a little bit of a flopper himself and chose not to do so on the Puyol challenge just before missing the easy goal vs. Casillas.. Had he flopped, I think he would have gotten the call! Oh man... I can not believe I just typed that.. I HATE flopping so scratch that!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
I disagree. Other than the obvious RED card the Dutch should have gotten in the 1st half (kick to the chest), the Referee gave Spain this freaking game! That was an OBVIOUS corner just before they scored... not to mention ALL the other calls! Total BS....
Really? so they referee just made up all the yellow cards? Seems you were watching a different game. Last I recall the referee didn't make up a penalty kick for Spain or stole one from the Dutch. Or did he score a goal for the Spanish team?

Why do people have to bitter losers?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,055,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Really? so they referee just made up all the yellow cards? Seems you were watching a different game. Last I recall the referee didn't make up a penalty kick for Spain or stole one from the Dutch. Or did he score a goal for the Spanish team?

Why do people have to bitter losers?
It's funny how people who obviously know NOTHING about the game and have never stepped on the pitch all become experts over a month! I have played the game my whole life and have watched every match of every World Cup since 1978, what do you know about the game?

What was a yellow card for Holland was not a yellow card for Spain (except the obvious Red card that the Dutch should have gotten for the kick to the chest)... there was way too much flopping going on towards the end on the Spanish side... That WAS a corner he didn't call on the free kick right before Spain scored... What game were you watching?

Nah.. not a bitter loser, just a disappointed fan who feels like the ref kind of butchered the game and took the fun out of it. At the end of the day, the right team won, Spain deserved the win, they were obviously the more talented team. They must be if they can afford to bring a guy like Fabregas off of their bench!! He made an immediate impact when he came in....

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 07-11-2010 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
"Note to self" found in Dutch coach's notebook: "Next time, sign up players for acting lessons!"

Old 07-12-2010, 01:28 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
What was clear about this game was that the Dutch set out to prevent the Spanish from playing their game rather than trying to impose one of their own. This involved getting physical with the Spanish midfield and led to a number of the cards. In the first half this tactic worked well but began to break down in the second half. In extra time, Spain was in control of the game and it was just a question of time before they scored. The Dutch, on the other hand, had only one attacking strategy and that was to get the ball to Robben .... and it nearly worked. As a result, their midfield was largely relegated to defending and Sneidjer was unable to have any influence on the game as he had in previous rounds. Overall, the Spanish played more football than the Dutch and, had Torres been the player he was two years ago, the result might have been much more emphatic.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
"Note to self" found in Dutch coach's notebook: "Next time, sign up players for acting lessons!"

Yes, and Andres Iniesta is the one to give them said acting lessons. He was the worst diver on the pitch. And always begging the ref to give a card.

If I had reffed this game, it would have gone to penalty kicks. 10 vs. 10 with De Jong going off for the karate kick, and Iniesta for simulation.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Not being an expert, but the match wasn't smooth. I was hoping for an up and down Brazil type game. I kind of hoped the refs would call an even up on Spain so it would be 10 on 10. The Dutch were rough, but I think Spain got more calls.

Is there any correlation between how far south you live and the propensity to flop/dive?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
It's funny how people who obviously know NOTHING about the game and have never stepped on the pitch all become experts over a month! I have played the game my whole life and have watched every match of every World Cup since 1978, what do you know about the game?
So your dad's bigger than mine. Huh?

Who do you think you are... the ultimate voice of soccer? Maradona? Pele? Think whatever you want, it's the internet and you can assume I just started watching the game since quarter finals. I don't need to prove anything to post in this board. If assuming I know "nothing" about the game makes you feel superior, even better!!!! Glad to contribute to your happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer