Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Spain are amazing. They really are. I love watching them play. Uruguay were poor though. Great goal from Suarez though. Absolutely terrific player. Spain's second was pretty good to. Overall, it was an okay game but would of been better if Uruguay performed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Spain were untouchable first half, amazing football. No South American team, or European, will get near them or Germany in Brazil next year.

Okay, thanks for the info, guys !! It's good to hear they played well .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,736 times
Quote:
Spain were untouchable first half, amazing football. No South American team, or European, will get near them or Germany in Brazil next year.
They really are an amazing side.

Here's a question for you lads: Do you guys enjoy watching Spain play? A lot of people always complain at how they are boring. Am I the only one who loves watching them?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,415 times
Quote:

Here's a question for you lads: Do you guys enjoy watching Spain play? A lot of people always complain at how they are boring. Am I the only one who loves watching them?
No you're not: I love every second of it . But then again, I've always been a huge fan of La Liga and of Spanish-style football. Having played as an attacking midfielder most of my football "career", I know how hard it is to play this fast, one-touch passing game.

I can understand though that other people might find it boring, as they prefer the direct, more physical type of football. But hey, to each his own!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
No you're not: I love every second of it . But then again, I've always been a huge fan of La Liga and of Spanish-style football. Having played as an attacking midfielder most of my football "career", I know how hard it is to play this fast, one-touch passing game.
Yeah agreed.

By the way, what team did you play for? I could of played against you in my days at Liverpool

Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,389 times
How anybody can find it boring is beyond me. They, along with 1970 Brazil, are the best national team ever.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
I was disappointed Mexico lost yesterday, guess the Italian fans are happy though.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,494 times
Quote:
Spain are amazing. They really are. I love watching them play. Uruguay were poor though. Great goal from Suarez though. Absolutely terrific player. Spain's second was pretty good to. Overall, it was an okay game but would of been better if Uruguay performed.
Just what I said before the tournament began. I love alot of Uruguay's players, Cavani, Gargano, Suarez - I love watching them play, I would love Uruguay to play well. But they are in really poor form at the moment and are in danger of missing out on the World Cup next year. There was no way that they were going to be competitive.

They will look good against Tahiti and Nigeria because both sides are poor, but then in the semis, expect them to meekly go out.

Quote:
I disagree; I think Argentina are going to have alot to say about who wins anything next summer. Brazil are at home, but they have alot of answers to give still about their overall quality. But Argentina will press Spain and Germany and there are others with a shot as well.

Quote:

It depends on the game. Some games they are beautiful to watch and in others it is dreadful. There are times when a game is tight against tough opposition and they tiki-taka around without ever trying to really cut deep. In those games where they have 65-70% possession but create virtually no chances and the other team is affraid to come out and press them too high for fear of leaving space the resulting match can be absolutely horrible to view.

There are other games where they can be a beautiful team to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I can understand though that other people might find it boring, as they prefer the direct, more physical type of football. But hey, to each his own!
It isn't about being more direct. It is about trying to actually do something. When Spain play against weak competition, or when they play against a quality side who come out and press them and play right back at them it can be a beautiful match to watch.

But as I said above, there are often games where they are playing quality sides who are affraid to press them and push their own game and tactics, and in those cases it generally turns into a boring pass-the-ball-around-the-back-and-midfield-and-never-create-a-single-chance-hardly match that makes one want to put their eyes out.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 PM

207 posts, read 336,089 times
Mexico is HORRIBLE, especially once they get the ball into the attacking 3rd, they look completely lost every game....I love it!!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
Mexico is HORRIBLE, especially once they get the ball into the attacking 3rd, they look completely lost every game....I love it!!
Agreed, that scoreline in the Italy game really flattered them too. Italy were denied a clear and definate penalty early first half when Pirlo was hacked down in the area, and if El Sharawy (or anyone) were started instead of Giacharrini then we would have likely had more as well as Giach squandered multiple, multiple chances by fluffing and bad decisions. Anyone else would have burried at least one of those many chances. Mexico were very poor on the day.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM

207 posts, read 336,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Agreed, that scoreline in the Italy game really flattered them too. Italy were denied a clear and definate penalty early first half when Pirlo was hacked down in the area, and if El Sharawy (or anyone) were started instead of Giacharrini then we would have likely had more as well as Giach squandered multiple, multiple chances by fluffing and bad decisions. Anyone else would have burried at least one of those many chances. Mexico were very poor on the day.
Yes he did, I was very disappointed with his inability to finish. He could have put away at least two, and had a couple of very poor passes.

I also thought that Mexico's penalty was unwarranted. Not that I didn't think Dos Santos was fouled, but I thought he committed a foul right before that.

Mexico has a decent midfield, but they're going to have to figure out how to stay onsides, and make timely runs/good passes or they're going to have a very quick exit in Brazil in 2014 imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer