Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
It's kind of neat (for me) living in a small town environment but having so many great amenities there for if you get a hankerin'...

You're absolutely right, Lake Junkie, we are very fotunate to be able to enjoy our cake and eat it too! Within a 50 mile radius we have the "traditional" Ozarks, , a great area for sport fishing and lake activities, camping and such, as well as being close to the third largest city in Missouri. Not to mention the fact that there are fun things for EVERYONE here in Branson to enjoy whether you like country music, 60's music, traditional music, theme parks, museums, etc., Oh, I could go on and on!

But, I will say, it's truly NOT for everyone. Hard-core city folks would have a bit of a challenge to adjust, I think. JMHO

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 AM

31 posts, read 64,549 times
Default Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You're absolutely right, Lake Junkie, we are very fotunate to be able to enjoy our cake and eat it too! Within a 50 mile radius we have the "traditional" Ozarks, , a great area for sport fishing and lake activities, camping and such, as well as being close to the third largest city in Missouri. Not to mention the fact that there are fun things for EVERYONE here in Branson to enjoy whether you like country music, 60's music, traditional music, theme parks, museums, etc., Oh, I could go on and on!

But, I will say, it's truly NOT for everyone. Hard-core city folks would have a bit of a challenge to adjust, I think. JMHO

20yrsinBranson
Hello, I have been living in California since 1969 and am getting ready to retire to a less crowded area. I was born and raised in Cape Girardeau, MO but think it is too cold near the big muddy. Do you think the Branson area and I would be a good fit? I want to be in a place were I can enjoy the few years I may have left without too much snow. Ray

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayheat1 View Post
Hello, I have been living in California since 1969 and am getting ready to retire to a less crowded area. I was born and raised in Cape Girardeau, MO but think it is too cold near the big muddy. Do you think the Branson area and I would be a good fit? I want to be in a place were I can enjoy the few years I may have left without too much snow. Ray
Branson is just like California. It's the one place in Missouri where it never snows. That's why it is full of Califoregners. You'll love it. Contact Lake Junkie; she'll find you a place within 48 hours and you can be living there next week, going to Starbucks, fighting the traffic on the Strip, complaining that there are too many Republican rednecks in Missouri. It will be just like home.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Branson is just like California. It's the one place in Missouri where it never snows. That's why it is full of Califoregners. You'll love it. Contact Lake Junkie; she'll find you a place within 48 hours and you can be living there next week, going to Starbucks, fighting the traffic on the Strip, complaining that there are too many Republican rednecks in Missouri. It will be just like home.
Nice try, OB. Rayheat, you've been in CA so long you might be ruined and this may no longer be the place for you. But if you have your heart set on it, a frontal lobotomy might help you adjust better to life here in the stix.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nice try, OB. Rayheat, you've been in CA so long you might be ruined and this may no longer be the place for you. But if you have your heart set on it, a frontal lobotomy might help you adjust better to life here in the stix.
Thanks for the information. Having been raised in SE MO, OB is my kind of huckster. I just want to find quiet place to live for the few years I have left. I visited Branson about six years ago. I know it can get cold but not as cold as Cape Girardeau with its famous windbag RL. San Diego has very nice weather but the terminator has done his best to destroy California. Ray

Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Having been raised in SE MO, OB is my kind of huckster. I just want to find quiet place to live for the few years I have left. I visited Branson about six years ago. I know it can get cold but not as cold as Cape Girardeau with its famous windbag RL. San Diego has very nice weather but the terminator has done his best to destroy California. Ray
Actually, a succession of governors, the Legislature and the people through the initiative process have all combined to do their utmost to ruin the once Golden State.

Given your comments I would surmise that you likely reside somewhat to the left of the aisle in politics land. Therefore, SW MO may not be the right place for you as it decidedly leans to the right. You might be better served and more comfortable in a more urban environment which tend to be more liberal.

There's no question that rural SW MO is quiet and peaceful but there are still those conservative residents with whom you may not agree or get along.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Actually, a succession of governors, the Legislature and the people through the initiative process have all combined to do their utmost to ruin the once Golden State.

Given your comments I would surmise that you likely reside somewhat to the left of the aisle in politics land. Therefore, SW MO may not be the right place for you as it decidedly leans to the right. You might be better served and more comfortable in a more urban environment which tend to be more liberal.

There's no question that rural SW MO is quiet and peaceful but there are still those conservative residents with whom you may not agree or get along.
I am a democrat but really do like the two party system because they tell on each other. That really keeps the country free because the general public knows what is going on. If the two parties start to liking each other the nation will be finished. I think people are about the same everywhere. They just want to live without a lot of bickering. The right may not be always right but they still have a right to be around. Ray

Old 05-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Default Snow 'n republicans...brrrr.....;)

Quote:
I am a democrat but really do like the two party system because they tell on each other. That really keeps the country free because the general public knows what is going on. If the two parties start to liking each other the nation will be finished. I think people are about the same everywhere. They just want to live without a lot of bickering. The right may not be always right but they still have a right to be around. Ray
Actually I have a number of friends who are non-conservatives who seem to do quite well 'round here... You sound like you've got the tolerance thing going on!

And getting back to whether or not we get cold/snow...it's all relative. Last winter was extra cold everywhere...but still we only get less than a foot of snow all winter! One thing you want to consider, if you decide to look around this area, is whether your driveway & access roads are on the north side of a hill where they get no sun, ever! The snow/ice is more bearable if you only have to deal with it for a couple of days until the sun comes back!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Silly ozarksboy...it still takes at least 72 hours...

Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 AM

62 posts, read 130,130 times
Default Coast to Country !

Tony here, had a Jewelry shop in Main st Branson for 15 years. Have lived in the Bahamas, Florida, Australia and so on. Now retired.
During my 15 years in Branson, only 2 had no snow. The other 13 had degrees of snow, ice and flutters. The agreable thing was, we had almost year round golf.
California to Branson is a no brainer. IMO Branson has the better people and lifestyle plus around 75% Republican voters. The Democrats are mostly recent imports 1995-2010. I have voted for both parties and served in 2 tours of Vietnam. Very open minded, Policies not parties for me.
I loved my 15 years in Branson and will be back in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area