Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,063,163 times

Advertisements

According to some "analysts", there are pros and cons, and the size and the chances of these pros and cons will depend greatly exactly how InBev would handle their new company - if this would go through. The thought of having a supposed ~2k people lose their jobs in StL, no matter how ya put a head on that mug, does not sit well with me.

Interesting article here: Viewpoint: Fate of Bud may lie with Buffett | Business | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 10:25 AM

732 posts, read 2,982,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklein49 View Post
I don't like Miller and don't drink it. I'm not wishing for some other company to come in and change Miller so I'll like it.
Interesting you should bring up Miller. Wasn't it in the past few years when Miller Lite and Bud Light were duking it out that AB took out ads touting their beer as "American Made" while deriding Miller because they were owned by a South African parent co? AB execs may soon get hoisted by their own petard.

Actually, that's probably not true at all, it will probably be people lower on the food chain at AB who will feel the pain of any future workforce reduction if this buyout comes to pass.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,578,938 times
AB is St.Louis. Any stockholder that would allow this hostile takeover, is just that, a stock holder. Not a true AB owner of stock.. I know what I'm trying to say here, just doesn't come out as I wish. Greed, name of the game in everything I guess. Used to drink my share of AB...oh yes!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,590 times
We own AB stock and we do NOT want the company taken overseas. I don't care what they offer us for the stock, we want it to stay here. Of course, my husband and I are just small stockholders so I'm not sure our little votes will matter much.

I will say, though, that it's been a good stock. It's split several times since we've owned it.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,578,938 times
Smile Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
We own AB stock and we do NOT want the company taken overseas. I don't care what they offer us for the stock, we want it to stay here. Of course, my husband and I are just small stockholders so I'm not sure our little votes will matter much.

I will say, though, that it's been a good stock. It's split several times since we've owned it.

Oh, but your votes should and do matter. Now you are the true and loyal stockholders to whom I was referring. Stockholders that realize just what you have. YOU are AB! You believe in this company and are willing to fight to keep it where and what it is. Thank you!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:22 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
But, if InBev were to raise the quality of their beer to the likes of their other brews such as Bass or Stella Artois it could raise sales which would force them to hire more staff.

InBev already has Budweiser and Bud Light listed on their website as beers they offer.

Hmmm.... it's true that if you held pond water up against B*******r then it would come off favourably, but travel to the UK or Belgium and you'll see exactly how Bass and Stella stack up against beers from those countries.

Just as AB produces lowest-common denominator beer so as not have a chance of offending anyone's palettes and therefore maximize sales, so does InBev's beer portfolio overseas. Bass, Stella, Beck's, Leffe - all comparatively dull and lifeless examples of their style in their various countries of origin.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:23 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
There's a petition going around to save Anheuser-Busch.

I'm a little tired of companies leaving St. Louis.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:50 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Hmmm.... it's true that if you held pond water up against B*******r then it would come off favourably, but travel to the UK or Belgium and you'll see exactly how Bass and Stella stack up against beers from those countries.

Just as AB produces lowest-common denominator beer so as not have a chance of offending anyone's palettes and therefore maximize sales, so does InBev's beer portfolio overseas. Bass, Stella, Beck's, Leffe - all comparatively dull and lifeless examples of their style in their various countries of origin.
Actually Budweiser is the number one selling beer in the UK.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:29 PM

893 posts, read 792,359 times
This is pure sacrilege. The thought of AB being bought by an out of country company makes me sick.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 PM

605 posts, read 2,381,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Actually Budweiser is the number one selling beer in the UK.
And?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis