Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Nanotech company introduces new LED chip - YNN, Your News Now

Well, Ephesus seems to be getting a lot of press lately! Watch the video, I noticed Simpson, Cantor, Magnarelli, Buerkle, and others in the audience. If they want the Tech Garden to have merit, it will have to show results beyond the incubator phase, i.e. research to manufacturing. I think the Clay Business Park on rt. 31 would make a great location at full production, which could turn into a hi-tech corridor like rt. 128 outside Boston. I found this on Ephesus's web-site: awarded a $50,000 grant from the State; has moved to a 40,000 sq.ft. facility in the Radisson Business Park and; is hiring:

Ephesus Technologies, LLC. » Ephesus receives $50,000 CAP Grant!
Ephesus Technologies, LLC. » “LED light maker to move to Baldwinsville, plans to hire more than 100 in coming years”
Ephesus Technologies, LLC.
Baldwinsville to shine brighter for less - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

A $50,000 grant amounts to a hell of beans. If the state can give away $6 million dollars to almost completely subsidize a very dubious "boutique" hotel project in the sewer of downtown Niagara Falls, they should be able to help a high tech project that could create high paying jobs. I wish this company success and I'm glad the press conference was well attended. The Casper's are precisely the kind of people Syracuse needs. They have local roots and have demonstrated their ability to build a successful company in California. The state should do everything they can to assist this project, provided that its viable.

On a seperate note - a Hilton Garden Inn and several floors of luxury apartments are planned for the former National Fuel HQ in downtown Buffalo. I wonder how much money this project will receive from Empire State Development? My bet is at least $5 million. It would have been nice to see the former Excellus Building on S Warren Street undergo a similiar conversion.
http://www.buffalorising.com/2012/03...l#SlideFrame_0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 02:31 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
A $50,000 grant amounts to a hell of beans. If the state can give away $6 million dollars to almost completely subsidize a very dubious "boutique" hotel project in the sewer of downtown Niagara Falls, they should be able to help a high tech project that could create high paying jobs. I wish this company success and I'm glad the press conference was well attended. The Casper's are precisely the kind of people Syracuse needs. They have local roots and have demonstrated their ability to build a successful company in California. The state should do everything they can to assist this project, provided that its viable.

On a seperate note - a Hilton Garden Inn and several floors of luxury apartments are planned for the former National Fuel HQ in downtown Buffalo. I wonder how much money this project will receive from Empire State Development? My bet is at least $5 million. It would have been nice to see the former Excellus Building on S Warren Street undergo a similiar conversion.
Vertical Mixed-Use Good Fit for Tishman Building - Buffalo Rising
I agree that $50,000 is not a lot of money and the Casper's are exactly the type of creative individuals that CNY needs, but I am encouraged after viewing the press conference.

Regarding the Tishman Building/Hilton Gardens (esse522 might have some insight), I think Syracuse has been very fortunate to attract so much investment in its downtown and the confidence of a national chain like Marriott to construct a brand new hotel. No comparison to the proposed Buffalo Hilton Garden or the Syracuse Marriott, but don't forget the new Hotel Skyler!

I am not sure how much the state will kick in, but the developer (Hemister Group) is applying for historic preservation tax credits and new market tax credits. I doubt it will move forward until those are in place, the building has been listed on the National Historic Register.

I am impressed by the configuration of the 180,000 sq. ft. building though, the building’s first 14 floors (starting with the 4th floor) will be occupied by a 123-room hotel; 18 high-end, upscale apartments are planned for floors 15 to 17 and; the Hamister Group will occupy the top three floors, roughly 30,000-square-feet.

I wish the new 180 room Marriot in Syracuse were more vertical, but I am pleased that they went for conformity with the surrounding buildings in Armory Square.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-04-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I was a mile away from this a couple weeks ago. Wonder I wasn't killed.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...-largo/1223455

Last edited by Sean®; 04-05-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I was a mile away from this a couple weeks ago. Wonder I wasn't killed.

-car-in-largo/1223455http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/alligator-wins-then-loses-early-morning-run-in-with-car-in-largo/1223455
I have never seen one that big, wow! They are becoming bolder. I called Florida Fish and Wildlife once to remove one from our development, the "little" guy crawled out of the canal and into our development.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 AM

I've seen bigger in the Glades but never Upstate. Wonder I wasn't eaten as a boy, playing around outside all the time. Florida is the best place to be a kid, outside 360 days a year. I'm guessing back then (early 70's) the gators still had places to hide and now they don't.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 AM

As our area continues to shrink, and most all of Upstate, how is it that Oswego County is carring the water?? What the heck is going on up there??

Downstate gains, upstate loses in N.Y. population data | The Journal News | LoHud.com | LoHud.com

And just how do "they" keep such exact data?? Changes of address at the PO or something??

Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
As our area continues to shrink, and most all of Upstate, how is it that Oswego County is carring the water?? What the heck is going on up there??

Downstate gains, upstate loses in N.Y. population data | The Journal News | LoHud.com | LoHud.com

And just how do "they" keep such exact data?? Changes of address at the PO or something??
It seems like it depends on where you are in Upstate NY too. Looking at the map, I'm not that surprised. Interestingly, I wonder where the people that are leaving the state are going to, if they are leaving the state at all? It could also be a case of equal to or more deaths than births, which the article acknowledged.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-06-2012 at 06:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:

There've been a lot of reports over the last couple years about Fort Drum-area housing shortages and whatnot and folks commuting from Oswego and northern Onondaga counties - perhaps we're now seeing the spillover effect in Oswego county population that goes with it?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
There've been a lot of reports over the last couple years about Fort Drum-area housing shortages and whatnot and folks commuting from Oswego and northern Onondaga counties - perhaps we're now seeing the spillover effect in Oswego county population that goes with it?
Correct, as I've heard of military families commuting from or living in Mexico, Central Square, Sandy Creek and places along the I-81 corridor. I found out that some of the off post housing in say Gouvernuer has become privatized and is open to anyone, not just military folks. So, that may have caused soldiers to look elsewhere(I.e.- Oswego and northern Onondaga Counties).

Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It seems like it depends on where you are in Upstate NY too. Looking at the map, I'm not that surprised. Interestingly, I wonder where the people that are leaving the state are going to, if they are leaving the state at all? It could also be a case of equal to or more deaths than births, which the article acknowledged.
This is certainly not good news, but when factoring in the growth in Oswego County, the Syracuse MSA had a percentage population loss of 0.0% since the 2010 census and remains the nation's 80th largest metro area. The loss of 65 people in a county with the population of over 460,000 effectively means the population has stayed flat. That being said, it does mean more people are leaving the area than moving in which is troubling. At least the birth rate in the Syracuse area is still higher than the death rate. In places like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Utica, and Scranton the number of births has been outpaced by deaths for years.

I was surprised to see a relatively high population loss of 650 people in Albany County. While neighboring counties with the exception of Rensselear grew, Albany County still has room for new development and is more vibrant, affluent, and better educated than Monroe County which experienced a very healthy population gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area