Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is a mention of the CBA in this Wiki article: Community Benefits Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw that the only mention of a smaller city was that of Wilmington DE.

Wilmington really benefits from its close proximity to Philadelphia and can tap into the millions of residents in that area for labor, customers, vendors and investment. I think the city's location in the density populated corridor between Philadelphia and D.C gives it a major advantage. Developers probably can absorb the added costs with so many large employers (and state government) in that city. I'm not sure what project the CBA was used for or if it is uniform for all projects, but Wilmington benefits from the presence of credit card companies and lawyers due to Delaware's notoriously friendly laws. J.P Morgan Chase and companies like Discover and Barclays each have thousands of employees in the city. Dupont is also nearby. There are some nice developments along the harbor visible from the Amtrak routes.

In the case of the Inner Harbor and future projects in the city - there needs to be a compromise. As I have stated earlier, I support giving preference to city residents, particularly those residing in high poverty areas. Apprenticeships supported by the developer should be mandated, however demanding at least "$2 million" for program "Y" and hiring company Z to manage compliance, hiring ____ people from here, and ___% from there is way too rigid for a project that will probably be scaled down or have difficulty obtaining financing. There needs to be compliance, but it should not be someone affiliated with the Urban Jobs Taskforce or the Miner Administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM

93,382 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Wilmington really benefits from its close proximity to Philadelphia and can tap into the millions of residents in that area for labor, customers, vendors and investment. I think the city's location in the density populated corridor between Philadelphia and D.C gives it a major advantage. Developers probably can absorb the added costs with so many large employers (and state government) in that city. I'm not sure what project the CBA was used for or if it is uniform for all projects, but Wilmington benefits from the presence of credit card companies and lawyers due to Delaware's notoriously friendly laws. J.P Morgan Chase and companies like Discover and Barclays each have thousands of employees in the city. Dupont is also nearby. There are some nice developments along the harbor visible from the Amtrak routes.

In the case of the Inner Harbor and future projects in the city - there needs to be a compromise. As I have stated earlier, I support giving preference to city residents, particularly those residing in high poverty areas. Apprenticeships supported by the developer should be mandated, however demanding at least "$2 million" for program "Y" and hiring company Z to manage compliance, hiring ____ people from here, and ___% from there is way too rigid for a project that will probably be scaled down or have difficulty obtaining financing. There needs to be compliance, but it should not be someone affiliated with the Urban Jobs Taskforce or the Miner Administration.
Good points about Wilmington. Its location and the industries it has does help.

I do wonder there will be an adjustment to the CBA here in terms of wage and making sure that there is a balance in terms of employment for some lower income residents and skilled laborers.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 AM

New affordable apartment community available in Radisson - Eagle News Online

Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Just as I had expected, the "Urban Jobs Taskforce" has submitted its demand to the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency for a Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) in exchange for city support for the Inner Harbor Development project:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Agenda.pdf

Toward the middle of this attachment is a rambling PowerPoint presentation highlighting the success of Community Benefit Agreements in other cities. As would be expected, there are not too many success stories outside of Los Angeles and New York City. The CBA referenced in Los Angeles was in 1999. Other examples were in other larger cities with economic vitality including Portland, OR and Pittsburgh.

In addition to demanding that SIDA force the developers of the Inner Harbor project to abide by this rigid mandate, activists also want SIDA to force developers in "future" projects to abide by similar demands. Guess what? There won't be any "future" projects if SIDA is foolish enough to adopt the stringent demands of this group. Unfortunately, Miner will likely force the SIDA which is comprised of her appointees to capitulate. The other "success" story referenced in the PPT is the redevelopment of the Gary, IN airport and the creation of an airport authority for a runway expansion project. In August, Gary lost its last remaining air career.
Gary Airport board moving on after Allegiant loss - Post-Tribune

Earlier this month, the same fools who supported and approved the agreement regrouped and pushed forward with the airport runway expansion project - despite the fact that Gary just lost commercial air service.
Forum offers update on Gary/Chicago International Airport - Post-Tribune
Great post RR (as w/your original), esp. comparison to larger metro areas (its apples and "oranges"). I see two possible scenarios however for the inner-harbor project. Remember her son-in-law (seems strange to say that) is employed by COR, she may pay lip service to the Urban Jobs Task-force and argue that their demands are not feasible. The same could also be said of Loguen Crossing. Her virtual re-election assures no political repercussions. Or, she can force SIDA to embrace these CBA mandate and risk the 300m (+/-) project. As for a City wide mandate (which is more likely), she will have Pyramid in her cross-hairs. However, the proverbial "bite the nose to spite your face" will apply and run the risk future projects by other developers.

As for Gary, its proximity to Midway airport and being a distressed city made Allegiant's success prohibitive from the start. Most reliever airports may succeed in mega metros like Chicago, but in this case the dynamics were a challenge. Allegiant is a liesure airline, I would guess that most residents of Gary and/or south Chicago are poor and don't have the disposable income for such luxuries. Those in the western or northern burbs of Chicago are not going to drive all the way to Gary to save a few bucks. I would guess that northern Indiana does not have the population to carry the load.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 09-18-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 AM

Phases 2,3 to begin late October with continued facade improvement program, construction | The Daily Orange

Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Basil Leaf Ristorante relocating to old Fresno

I drive by the empty Fresno's every single day... so glad something else is finally going in there!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Basil Leaf Ristorante relocating to old Fresno

I drive by the empty Fresno's every single day... so glad something else is finally going in there!
Same here and hopefully something will go into the spot they will leave in the village of North Syracuse.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:04 PM

I wonder what will happen with this building, now that it is going on the auction block? The Larsen Company | thelarsencompany.com

Old 09-24-2013, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,494 times
Default Solar Street

Has anyone been down Solar Street lately? The property directly across from the Inner Harbor is in the process of being cleared of trees and brush. A quick search of county tax records reveals it is owned by Emerald Point, Inc. with an address of 9090 Carousel Center Drive. It is a massive piece of property, extending from Bear Street to Court Street. Any clue as to what's in store there?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan2283 View Post
Has anyone been down Solar Street lately? The property directly across from the Inner Harbor is in the process of being cleared of trees and brush. A quick search of county tax records reveals it is owned by Emerald Point, Inc. with an address of 9090 Carousel Center Drive. It is a massive piece of property, extending from Bear Street to Court Street. Any clue as to what's in store there?
Good catch. I did a quick search and Emerald Point, Inc. and another company on N. Clinton Street are both owned by Pyramid. I wonder if this a part of environmental testing or something related to remediation of the site. Perhaps the newspaper could take a look into the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area