Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
More rhetorical questions. Why don't you do your own research instead of posing demonstrative questions to me? While you're at it, look at comparable population growth rates, city populations when existing rail transit was built, etc.
Isn't it a little "off" to compare two cities, one from the 1970's (Atlanta) and one from the 1980's (Miami) that built their systems over 30 years ago to Tampa in current day 2013?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
How many people who live around downtown work downtown is the question?

I doubt anyone north/east of DT actually works DT!

The lines need to start where the boulevards start...downtown is a DISASTER mess with tiny streets that will NOT FIT rails...one way streets not large enough to accommodate such project. Could you imagine a light rail going down Ashley drive?
IF they were built, they'd have to be elevated like in New York and Chicago.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You engage in unfounded, subjectively-based declarative statements. If something doesn't suit you, it's wrong.
Looking in the mirror?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,480 times
Wouldn't a better start be to use the rail to connect hillsbourough and Pinellas counties?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM

451 posts, read 934,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Isn't it a little "off" to compare two cities, one from the 1970's (Atlanta) and one from the 1980's (Miami) that built their systems over 30 years ago to Tampa in current day 2013?
Again, more rhetorical questions. I'm not playing this game.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Looking in the mirror?
I'm not making empty, subjectively-based declarative statements, nor am I disagreeing with something just because it wouldn't suit me. I like what I see in the mirror

Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,308,610 times
No, I explained why its not working. Don't think if it was "all figured out" we would have had it by now? how old is the one in Miami? don't you think Tampa was around when they built that one?

No, I am not...I explained what needs to happen to make it work. You obviously want to have it centralized in one area again, that is usually empty after 5pm, and so far has a minimum of residents who will benefit from having it.

Your answers attack me directly, rather than provide an actual solution. I drive fork kids and work every single day...everywhere in Hillsborough, and Pinellas...and throughout Florida as a whole so for me it won't work because I have equipment in my car that cannot be hand carried...so I am summed to use a car.....BUT....if for example there was Light Rail on Dale Mabry and I had to go to Target for a couple of things...I would have no qualms about using it. Or go to the gym every morning.

Gonzo...You believe what you want...I drive Dale Mabry daily...and I can tell you that if it had rail, the rail would be full every day. There could be shuttles on:
Lutz Lake Fern
Van Dyke
Northdale Blvd
Ehrlich Rd/Bearss Ave
Gunn Hwy
Linebaugh
Waters Ave
Then have a nod at Hillsborough ave
Boy Scout Blvd
...bringing ppl to meet with the rail...that way those who live or work there would have Connections! When you built such system you have to connect it to the rest of the city, otherwise its pointless if it goes where nothing else goes.

Please stay on TOPIC. We are discussing how, or where to install it to make it work for everyone who will find use in using it. I am sorry you can't stay on topic and resort to personal attacks when you have nothing else to comment on. I lived in Florida 12 years now, and I know how awful PT is here in Tampa, in Orlando and in Fort Lauderdale.

Park and ride is another side effect of poor planning.

Europe is well known for PT, and nowhere will you ever find a park and ride, because it makes no sense.

Quote:
You engage in unfounded, subjectively-based declarative statements. If something doesn't suit you, it's wrong. You've done it all over this thread and you do it often throughout City-Data as a whole. That causes quality discussions to spiral into nonsense and pettiness. I really enjoy the objective debate on this topic and hope it doesn't get derailed, no pun intended, by one person's subjective, caps-riddled outrage. This isn't an attack, it's a long-standing observation and I say it to try and improve everyone's experience here.

Park-and-Ride, for example, may not suit you, but it's used in metro areas all over the US on a daily basis. You may generalize that all transplants are here for tax-avoidance, but that's simply not true. You may denounce a concept if it doesn't immediately feed a track to your neighborhood, but it'd be a mistake to start it that way.

Everything is going to be okay.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Again, more rhetorical questions. I'm not playing this game.
You needed to reply to say you're not playing a game?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Light Rail Isn't the Track to the Future | Cato Institute

Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
You needed to reply to say you're not playing a game?
If it prevents you from directly addressing me with your 4th rhetorical question in this thread alone, yes. That doesn't make for a productive discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay